Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Dean, you are simply awesome and a true pro. What or who is it a tribute to?
    Hey Bob, all of them, but I can hear elements of Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Mahavishnu, King Crimson, perhaps even some Gentle Giant. We just wrote it and realized all the influences there. Glad you like it!
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Rare bird, if you’re talking about UK then oh likely! I’m still a huge fan of them!
    Yes, that Alaska I ment.

Nothing worse than being the last post on the previous page, so I moved it.

Friday was my birthday to I treated myself to a day of making music. These days we need to make a more conscious effort at careful thought, so here's my contribution to that. It's just piano and bass and I hope it makes you think positive thoughts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Dreamy. For me not really uplifting, but a nice, dreamy track.

A really nice song. I have to ask, is this about a politician by chance?
    You mean mine?

No, it's about overconfidence in humanity leading to disaster (more or less, lyrics are in the works )
    Thanks

..I've got tooooo much time on my hands .....

I had a lot of fun with this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

A nice medley of all things prog. I hear some Roundabout, ELP and other things I can't remember.

Banned
    Ha! That was fun and well done Bob! I can add that I think I heard Black Sabbath, Cream, Deep Purple, Clapton (Layla), Gentle Giant, Dire Straits and Santana off the top of my head.

I was making something completely different when I found that guitar tone and stumbled into some old rock and roll riffs, so I just kept going with it and turned it into a musicians dream, or nightmare. Then I had to put some effort into finding the right riffs and organizing them together. You won't believe how many I tried just didn't fit at all. But how to end it ...? Oh yeah, like waking from a dream.

I teamed up with New Jersey musician, Gary Hayden. He plays all the synth, keyboards. I supplied the art cover.

Here's the latest track from my dungeon studio. It deals with human experimentation that was done to study the effects of plutonium during the Cold War. Just the thing for the lockdown!

"I trust in the government and look what I got?
    50 years of misery and body rot!"

great line Joe

The sad fact is, it’s based on a true story from the Washington Post!

So I've been secretly picking up the guitar again and seeing what I could do. I also tried my hand at the tenor sax, which I haven't played in a long time. I always felt that pan flutes had a somewhat sad sound to them and kind of appropriate for this song.

My daughter suggested the theme for this new one. Picture a romantic couple who decide it's just not working and they should break up because it's best for both of them that way. It does end on a relatively positive major chord.

Last edited by BobM; 04-30-2020 at 09:04 AM.

^^ Very impressive multi-instrumentality, Bob!

Ha - fooled you Joe. Still just keys, but some really great sounding VST's and a bit more practice at making them sound real. (On a side note I did play the tenor sax for a while but I don't have one any more. As for guitar, I was a strummer at best.)

Got me! The guitar sounds actual and not sampled. Really nice sounds from your rig!

Banned
    Pleasant little composition Bob, thanks. Speaking about the sound, the guitar is pretty convincing, the sax less so - IMO that still sounds pretty "keyboardy". I like the sound that starts @ 1:04, is that a treated VST sax?

It's actually a Persion Ney, which is essentially a long stick-like wind instrument that is played out of the side of the mouth and therefore has a very breathy sound, like a pan flute.

So I've been secretly picking up the guitar again and seeing what I could do. I also tried my hand at the tenor sax, which I haven't played in a long time. I always felt that pan flutes had a somewhat sad sound to them and kind of appropriate for this song.

My daughter suggested the theme for this new one. Picture a romantic couple who decide it's just not working and they should break up because it's best for both of them that way. It does end on a relatively positive major chord.

Nice piece Bob. I agree about the sax. I like the ney better than panpipes. The guitar reminds me on a sound I could get with a program some-one wrote for the Commodore Amiga. Alas I never could find another sound the emulated a distorted guitar that good.

Banned
    It's actually a Persion Ney, which is essentially a long stick-like wind instrument that is played out of the side of the mouth and therefore has a very breathy sound, like a pan flute.
    Yes, great sound. Now that I listened on quasi-decent speakers I can hear that now. Good stuff Bob.

Spitfire Audio (a company that makes and sells VST's and other sound libraries) is holding a competition. They want you to download a car chase scene from Westworld and score it. The winner gets a big prize and there are also follow up prizes. You only have a few weeks to submit it. I'm thinking about it but I better get started soon if I want to enter something. Anyone else game for this?

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/westwo...source=ometria

I work far to slow.

Currently finishing a composition titled 'Aegir', for piano, tuba and synthesizer. I hoped to be able to record it the coming days, but I'm not that sure anymore, because a small change in the settings of my Nord G2 Engine has consequences for the volume of the different parts.
    I'm also working on a new composition with the title 'Where is the audience?' for 2 pianos, 4 synthesizers (virtual ARP2600, virtual MiniMoog, virtual Oberheim Sem and virtual Yamaha CS80) viola, alto saxophone and probably percussion.

Been neglecting this thread. Good to hear Bob's keeping it alive. And you other guys, too.
    Isolation is a demanding muse. Kinda wish I could be forced into it for a while.

Aside from working harder and being more worn out when I get home and not wanting to do much, I've been collecting pedals and working on learning instead of actively writing. Nailing down modes and working on style elements lately. And I can do all that stuff when I'm unplugged and just sitting relaxing.
    I bought a TC Electronics Quintessence harmonizer pedal and it has settings for each mode and key, and it forced me to learn more so I can get the most out of it.
    Last edited by frinspar; 05-12-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I bought a TC Electronics Quintessence harmonizer pedal and it has settings for each mode and key, and it forced me to learn more so I can get the most out of it.
    That looks like an amazing pedal especially the “tone print” settings. I think that pedal would put me on a long detour no matter what I was doing. I do have mixed feelings about the key and scale settings as a guitarist if you know what I mean.