Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot Rats Sessions Box

Hot Rats Sessions Box

https://store.zappa.com/the-hot-rats...-preorder.html

Has anybody posted this yet?
    The Hot Rats Sessions box set celebrates the 50th anniversary of one of the greatest albums in the history of recorded music. The original 1969 Frank Zappa album was the first to be recorded on a prototype 16-Track Tape Machine. Self described as a "Movie For Your Ears,” it was the first solo outing for the composer and the album that put FZ on the map as a guitar player. The recording sessions produced a wealth of material that ended up being sprinkled among multiple releases during FZ’s lifetime. This mammoth six disc collection documents and compiles every composition recorded during those days in July 1969, along with an abundance of rare mixes, Vault nuggets and complete basic tracks mixed from the original multi-track masters by Craig Parker Adams and mastered by Bob Ludwig in 2019. Additional gems include images by original Hot Rats cover photographer, Andee Nathanson, session photos taken by Bill Gubbins, liner notes by Matt Groening and essays by Ian Underwood, Andee Nathanson and Vaultmeister Joe Travers. The box set also includes a Zappa Land board game in celebration of this release.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

"The box set also includes a Zappa Land board game in celebration of this release." Discuss.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

^ What, no mask this time?

Someone should tell the Estate that fans are just interested in the music & gewgaws like this actually detract from the appeal.

The contents looking interesting, but not sure about $125.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

Someone should tell the Estate that fans are just interested in the music & gewgaws like this actually detract from the appeal.

Yeah, seriously.

That said, I'm still going to buy it so I guess the joke is on me.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

This is way too much of a chunk of change for an album i respect but dont adore.

I'm still pretty conflicted over the Halloween 4 disc-er. I may yet cancel and just opt for the single disc. So much BS I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    This is way too much of a chunk of change for an album i respect but dont adore.
    But... but... it's "one of the greatest albums in the history of recorded music!"

It may be *MY* favorite Zappa, but I'd rather not see how the sausage was made, thankyou. Can't imagine listening to it more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Can't imagine listening to it more than once.
    That's why I retreat from most expanded versions of milestone albums.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

But... but... it's "one of the greatest albums in the history of recorded music!"

It may be *MY* favorite Zappa, but I'd rather not see how the sausage was made, thankyou. Can't imagine listening to it more than once.
    THIS !!!...I'm with ya Bro!
    G.A.S -aholic

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm a former (semi)completist who basically gave up trying to keep up with the releases. I'd grab this if the price came down the way it did for things like Lumpy Money, though.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    This is way too much of a chunk of change for an album i respect but dont adore..
    I love the album, and love process...but with everything else I’ve blown money on this fall (with a few more to come), I just don’t think I can cough up $125 (plus the cheapest shipping to Canada, $38!!) in USD. With shipping and conversion, we’re talking well over $200 CAD for just 6 CDs. Oh, yeah, and a board game...
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    "The box set also includes a Zappa Land board game in celebration of this release." Discuss.
    This is Zappa's world.

We just live in it.

I wonder if players get to choose sides in the ongoing Zappa-vs-Zappa business disputes? Does Dweezil get to use his father's image in advertising? Do Ahmet and Diva get a higher percentage of ZFT revenues? Does Moon get to publish her tell-all biography? Will "An Evening With Wild Man Fischer" ever see a CD reissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

Speak for yourself. I want the hologram starter kit.

Very much looking forward to hearing the raw takes of "Peaches" and "Willie," and the stuff that ended up as part of "Toads of the Short Forest," "Little House I Used To Live In" and (apparently after a lot of reworking) "Lemme Take You To The Beach."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I want the hologram starter kit.
    Scissors and cardboard, scissors and cardboard.

Love the album, but I feel like having the current CD issue and Frank's '80s remix is enough. The remix (despite Frank's trebly mastering during that era) focuses more on the guitars and seems more 'live', while the original mix is deeper and more kaleidoscopic.

Scissors and cardboard, scissors and cardboard.
    And some Aunt Jemima syrup and Kaiser broiler foil.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Love the album, but I feel like having the current CD issue and Frank's '80s remix is enough. The remix (despite Frank's trebly mastering during that era) focuses more on the guitars and seems more 'live', while the original mix is deeper and more kaleidoscopic.
    Yeah I'm the same. I remember first hearing that remix and thinking, what the hell is that? It was so different.

I do view it as being a worthwhile alternate version of the album, but I am very happy the original mix is now on CD too as I very much prefer it.

I don't go for listening to take after take by anyone, really.

Substantial parts were re-recorded by Arthur Barrow too, I think. If you listen closely to the (now buried and out-of-phase) basslines, they sound like Max Bennett's bass guitar and upright bass were replaced with synthesizer.

Of all of Zappa's re-recordings, this one cut me the deepest. Bennett was the highlight of the Hot Rats band for me.

If Barrow redid the parts on that album, he would have talked about it. FZ and his 80's crew just put some 80's mix effects on Bennett's tracks I think.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    If Barrow redid the parts on that album, he would have talked about it. FZ and his 80's crew just put some 80's mix effects on Bennett's tracks I think.
    Yes, the bass parts on the remix are 100% the same performances as the original, just remixed/EQ'd.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Well I hated what he did to it.

One of his greatest albums. Way too much money!

Well I hated what he did to it.
    Yeah, it wasn't a great mix per se, but I do like the different perspective Frank brought to that version. I've long wondered whether Frank was affected by hearing loss by the '80s, because his mixes and remasters during that period were so rotten and so very different than what he'd done a decade earlier.

I've long wondered whether Frank was affected by hearing loss by the '80s, because his mixes and remasters during that period were so rotten and so very different than what he'd done a decade earlier.
    I think he was mostly affected by his disdain for his 60s musicians.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.