Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIROMI New Album Spectrum

HIROMI New Album Spectrum

Got to listen to the new release by Hiromi called Spectrum. It's solo piano and I feel it's her most proggy release, sounding at times much like the late great Keith Emerson. I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Good stuff, not sure I could sit still for an entire disc of this, but the song you posted is really nice.

I’m in: thanks for the H.U.!

Pura vida.!

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Good stuff, not sure I could sit still for an entire disc of this, but the song you posted is really nice.
    Agree. Her trio albums with Anthony Jackson and Simon Phillips are amazing. Highly recommended.

Well, isn't Emo sort of revered in Japan? No doubt she ran into his music at an early age. It's not surprising that some of him brushed off on her. Especially if the point of this album is to affirm her bona fides as a player.

There's a quote from her about the album...
    Making a solo piano album, the biggest difference is that it’s only piano and it’s only me. So, I have to be a drummer, I have to be a bass player, I have to be like a multi-instrumentalist, only using the piano.
    Sounds like something Emo would have understood.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Maybe if you hear the entire album you may have a change of mind. I listened to the whole thing last night and it kept my attention, which is tough to do at my age with the problem of nodding off....
    Dave Sr.

^ Thanks for reminding me, I have the album here but haven't listened yet..

Really awesome stuff. I've loved everything she's done, and I'm partial to the Trio stuff with AJ (who, unfortunately, reportedly is in assisted living after a stroke--very sad news, as he is my Hero), and to the Sonic Bloom stuff. But everything she does is worthwhile.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

^ Hoping Anthony Jackson recovers. What an incredible talent.

Banned

The band at the time I saw them at Newport Jazz.

I haven't given this one a shot. I love everything she did with the early albums and Sonic Bloom up until she released too many samey-sounding Trio albums. Just my opinion... but two of them were enough. Then she did the thing with the harp player which was lost on me... and now her second solo piano album? She's lost me. Bring back the Nords and the fusion please. I thought the song she recently did with Headless Torsos was freaking amazing, if she had joined them for an album & tour... whoa.

Oh, and yes, she's a Keith Emerson fan.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Got to listen to the new release by Hiromi called Spectrum. It's solo piano and I feel it's her most proggy release, sounding at times much like the late great Keith Emerson. I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I haven't given this one a shot. I love everything she did with the early albums and Sonic Bloom up until she released too many samey-sounding Trio albums. Just my opinion... but two of them were enough. Then she did the thing with the harp player which was lost on me... and now her second solo piano album? She's lost me. Bring back the Nords and the fusion please. I thought the song she recently did with Headless Torsos was freaking amazing, if she had joined them for an album & tour... whoa.
    It sounds like you'd be okay with her doing the same thing over and over again if it was only the "Nords and fusion" approach, instead of what she wants to do.

Thanks for posting. I'm impressed with the video from her new album. I'm going to get it. I also liked the older video of the song, Time Difference. It reminds me a lot of Arti & Mestieri.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It sounds like you'd be okay with her doing the same thing over and over again if it was only the "Nords and fusion" approach, instead of what she wants to do.
    Yup, you got me. I never like it when bands or artists play the type of music I don't enjoy. But, if that's what they want to do, I can't stop them, and I'm not suggesting I try. So yeah, until she pulls out the squeaky Nords again, I'm out. She came to Chicago this past week with just a piano, and I didn't go. Even though I've seen her about 10 times previously - including her first piano tour. I looked at the tickets available and scratched my head. The music she did Sonic Bloom was completely mind blowing.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-19-2019 at 12:11 AM.

For Hiromi fans...a gem of a video!
    Dave Sr.

Yeah, that early piano lesson is a revelation. Think about how well she executed Schumann, etc., and then think about her mastery of so many jazz styles......I saw her do a solo piano piece years ago that was right out of the Art Tatum Never-Ending Lines playbook...my jaw was on the floor. She is a beast.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I could listen to this all day. Love her! Especially when she cuts loose and starts banging on the keys with her fists and elbows!

Yup, you got me. I never like it when bands or artists play the type of music I don't enjoy. But, if that's what they want to do, I can't stop them, and I'm not suggesting I try.
    Fair enough. I'm much the same way, but since I like solo piano stuff I'm cool with this release too.

The music she did Sonic Bloom was completely mind blowing.
    Totally agreed. Those two Sonicbloom albums are top notch. I keep hoping she'll resurrect that project one day.

I don't like Hiromi's synthesiser sounds so I am more than fine with this piano album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

She also toured with Stanley Clarke as one of his keyboard players. That was amazing. I'm going to give this a listen.

For Hiromi fans...a gem of a video!
    Her teacher said to her, "You're crazy great! Play jazz!"

Got to listen to the new release by Hiromi called Spectrum. It's solo piano and I feel it's her most proggy release, sounding at times much like the late great Keith Emerson.
    I always thought I heard Emerson's influence in her playing, along with other pianists, but perhaps more prominently.

My favorite album of hers is still "Time Control," but I'll listen to anything she does! And count me in the camp that prefers her laying off the synth, though I'm fine with her playing Fender Rhodes. I feel the same way about my fave pianist, Chick Corea.

she should play with Rachel Flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I always thought I heard Emerson's influence in her playing, along with other pianists, but perhaps more prominently.

My favorite album of hers is still "Time Control," but I'll listen to anything she does! And count me in the camp that prefers her laying off the synth, though I'm fine with her playing Fender Rhodes. I feel the same way about my fave pianist, Chick Corea.
    Ernie! Man! How the heck are ya? I was listening to Bad Dog U Just two weeks ago, I'm not kidding. Maybe even more recent. This time of year puts me in the mood for that music.

I miss your posts here. Hope you've been well!