Thread: Steve Lukather Says Toto Are ‘Calling It a Day’

Steve Lukather Says Toto Are ‘Calling It a Day’

Toto’s 40th anniversary tour ends this Sunday with a performance in Philadelphia. According to guitarist Steve Lukather, it’s the last you’ll see of the band for a while.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/stev...er-toto-hiatus

What a great band they were!!! I saw them last year and they were smoking!!! At least we have a huge library of music to hold onto....and with their most recent studio album, coupled with the great concert (DVD) Blu-ray from last year’s tour, they are definitely going out on top! Thanks for years of great music!
    So much music....so little time....

Good interview here:

Something certainly seems amiss with these guys. I am kind of lukewarm on Toto, but they are great at what they do. Lukether is playing with another band on Cruise To The Edge this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Something certainly seems amiss with these guys. I am kind of lukewarm on Toto, but they are great at what they do. Lukether is playing with another band on Cruise To The Edge this year.
    It is his side project that usually plays one date (or one set of dates) each year around Christmas in LA if I recall correctly. Very much looking forward to seeing them.

Well that's a bummer. Glad I got to see them three times, twice with Phillips and once recently with the new band. They kicked ass, Luke is such a tremendous player.
    His band with Bill Evans, Toxic Monkey, was on of the most astonishing shows Ive ever seen. He brings it every time.
    I hope he builds another band and does more touring.

I'll be at the show Sunday night.

I'm excited, as it should be a special night, but I'm saddened that it may be the end of one of my favorite bands. I'm hopeful that Lukather does more recording and touring (he apparently has a few projects in the works, already), but there's just something when this group gets together that isn't duplicated.

Oh well. All good things....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Good interview here:

gotta love luke. a kid in a candy store since conception.

TOTO are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine although things to say don’t come any more inappropriate than that. their final ten year run with joseph williams and steve porcaro back in, first as a hobby entity in support for mike porcaro and ALS (disguised as a real band again in direct comparison to the loose session collective during the final kimball years) to culminate in the very good XIV album has been heartwarming and happened for all the right reasons. i would have liked the rhythm section simon phillips and nathan east to remain because these departures somehow cost them the band cohesiveness again that they worked so hard at to regain (non-issue because TOTO had always been about friends and relatives, see the above). i wish them well.
    Last edited by iguana; 10-21-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Sad, but they had a great run, didn't they?! I consider them as sort of a guilty pleasure too. After all, they were a team of great musicians who (I suspect) had the intention of being purposely commercially viable... and of course they were. And their lyrics, especially in the earlier years were pretty awful... and not just because they used the word "girl" in so many of their tunes. But to see them live (and I have twice) was a real treat! They'd stretch out in their concerts and let you know that they could PLAY!

And Lukather is one of my favorite guitar players. If you're a fan, you must read his autobiography!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Sad, but they had a great run, didn't they?! I consider them as sort of a guilty pleasure too. After all, they were a team of great musicians who (I suspect) had the intention of being purposely commercially viable... and of course they were. And their lyrics, especially in the earlier years were pretty awful... and not just because they used the word "girl" in so many of their tunes. But to see them live (and I have twice) was a real treat! They'd stretch out in their concerts and let you know that they could PLAY!

And Lukather is one of my favorite guitar players. If you're a fan, you must read his autobiography!
    Agree with pretty much everything you say. I have really liked some of their stuff and hated some of their stuff, but live they certainly put on a great show and could pull off their sound. I also agree that Luke's book is great.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

Welcome back to PE Earnie.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Welcome back to PE Earnie.
    Don't get excited, that was just a drive-by. Actually, I've been lurking all along, but rarely posting. Oh, and FYI, there's no "a" in my name. But... thanks!

Great videos...So great listening to him, funny humble beast! One of my favorite players.

"I had a look on my face like i just saw my grandfather bend over in the shower"

Unbeknownst to me I caught one of their final shows 2 weeks ago in NJ. Fun show and my first Toto show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait