Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R&R Hall of Fame 2020 Nominees

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    You could say the same about Janis Joplin, but is there any doubt that she deserves to be in the HOF?
    But, Janis was a pioneer and rare talent. Joan Jett, not so much.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'd say Jett is known for a small amount of songs (not including The Runaways' 'Cherry Bomb', which is pretty much the only song they are known for!). Benatar has much more than that....I could see her getting in. Definitely an argument she should have gone in before Jett.

As someone who listens to a lot of music from the 50s/early 60s, I never went along with that 60s/70s rock fan thing of weighing up the songwriting credits before considering artistic validity. It's what you do with the song that counts.

Rufus/Chaka Khan...can't see it. How many times have they gotten this far as it is? I don't think they have enough advocates.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But, Janis was a pioneer and rare talent. Joan Jett, not so much.
    People think Joan Jett was a "pioneer", but at least a solo artist, she really wasn't.

I feel they should have inducted The Runaways as a band, because so far as "bands" (not solo artists) and "hard rock" music is concerned, I think The Runaways could legitimately be said to have "kicked down the doors to the boys club" (notice how every female rock musician/band, from Janis to those goofy "riot grrrl" bands in the 90's, supposedly "kicked down the doors to the boys club"), and therefore should be inducted.

All Joan did, as a solo artist, was remain persistent (supposedly, nobody would sign her as a solo artist, so she released Bad Reputation as a DIY thing, and it's success led to her getting to signed) and pick the right cover tunes (and have a good back up band). I mean, at least Lita Ford wrote her own songs (or she did on her first two solo records, anyway).
    I'd say Jett is known for a small amount of songs
    Unless you're talking about a band like The Stones or The Beatles, Queen or maybe The Who, most musicians are, at best, "known for a small amount of songs". How many Grateful Dead songs do you think most people can name? What about Deep Purple? Genesis? Black Sabbath? Except for the geeked down fanboys (you know, like me, for instance), most people know at best only three or four songs by any of those groups. And if you're talking about the Velvet Underground, well, you might have trouble finding anyone who can name even one of their songs (unless you go to like vintage record store or someplace like that).

^^ Then maybe it should be the Rock and Roll Hall of Airplay.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ Then maybe it should be the Rock and Roll Hall of Airplay.
    I dunno, it's kind of a boring topic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    People get to vote? I always thought the Rock Hall was like the Academy of Motion Pictures where no one who is not a member can vote. What do you vote for? To narrow down the nominees to a smaller group? How many artists do you get to vote for? Do you have a link to the voting page?

One of the main things I dislike about the RRHOF is that they exclude some members of bands they nominate. And they are at it again this year:

Motorhead’s Campbell, Dee Skipped in Rock Hall Nomination: ‘Pure Wrong’

There is no reason for this.
    Complete bullshit. Although not original Dee and Campbell were essential to the continuation of Motorhead. No way should they not be included.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    SteveSly: Also a Detroiter here and having seen the MC5 a bunch of times in their heyday at the Grande and Easttown, the answer is absolutely they belong. And they absolutely do not belong, simply because they were counterculture during a time when it mattered. On their musical merit and importance, they are critical to the history of rock- both for their political stance and for their influence on the development of punk and heavy metal. But time has passed, and not so many people know any more who they are given that this is a popularity contest now, and not merit-based. I would find it ironic if they were to win, because they so clearly rejected this kind of idiocy. Only Wayne Kramer and Dennis Thompson would be around to accept, though. But seeing them live was life changing. You had to be there. No one has ever had that intensity before.
    That is a great answer. I grew up on the west side of the state and am young enough that the MC5 were just a little bit before my time, but yes I think you are spot on with your observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Doobie Brothers! My fav here by far. Michael McDonald would most definitely show up. He has played with the Doobies and Simmons and Johnson have played with him over the years.
    Good to see that a band still gets along after they split.
    d ...
    I would guess that all of the surviving members would show up as I think they are all still on pretty good terms with each other, even though the current band is pretty much just Johnston, McFee, and Simmons. Knowing the Hall Of Fam I am not even sure if McFee would be included in the nomination even though he has been a member for 40 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm pretty sure Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, MC5, the Notorious BIG & T Rex aren't still playing.
    The MC5 did a 50th anniversary tour last year, although other than Wayne Kramer I am not sure who was in the band. I know several people who went to the Grand Rapids show and loved it. Also, Thin Lizzy morphed into Black Star Riders with Scott Gorham. They have occasionally brought in other former Lizzy members and performed as Thin Lizzy at festivals in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Complete bullshit. Although not original Dee and Campbell were essential to the continuation of Motorhead. No way should they not be included.
    Well, if you're gonna induct them, then you might as well include Brian Robertson, Wurzel, and Peter Gill. If "the continuation of the band" is important, then they were a part of that too. Certainly, I'd induct Wurzel and Phil Campbell, because that was the first version of the band I ever heard (via the clip of them doing Ace Of Spades on The Young Ones), so that's kind of what turned me into a fan. So far as I'm concerned, the twin guitar lineup is just as important as the Fast Eddie years.

I would guess that all of the surviving members would show up as I think they are all still on pretty good terms with each other, even though the current band is pretty much just Johnston, McFee, and Simmons. Knowing the Hall Of Fam I am not even sure if McFee would be included in the nomination even though he has been a member for 40 years now.
    According to the Rock Hall site, the members that would be included in this induction are: Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter, John Hartman, Michael Hossack, Tom Johnston, Keith Knudsen, Michael McDonald, John McFee, Tiran Porter, Patrick Simmons

SteveSly- that was by the band called MC50. :-) For real.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, if you're gonna induct them, then you might as well include Brian Robertson, Wurzel, and Peter Gill. If "the continuation of the band" is important, then they were a part of that too. Certainly, I'd induct Wurzel and Phil Campbell, because that was the first version of the band I ever heard (via the clip of them doing Ace Of Spades on The Young Ones), so that's kind of what turned me into a fan. So far as I'm concerned, the twin guitar lineup is just as important as the Fast Eddie years.
    I don't disagree. The albums with Wurzel are some of their best.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Is whomever the RRHoF is inducting really still a point of contention for anybody? RRHoF lost the plot a long time ago. The few recent prog band inclusions will never change that. If it matters to the bands that get in, good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Is whomever the RRHoF is inducting really still a point of contention for anybody? RRHoF lost the plot a long time ago. The few recent prog band inclusions will never change that. If it matters to the bands that get in, good for them.
    It's therapeutic to bitch about it.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It's therapeutic to bitch about it.
    well, there's that...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Isn't that PE's role on the interwebby?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Classic rock is really important. Especially late 60's rock and 70's rock. In fact, the Hall of Fame should only have late 60's and 70's bands in it.

I know that hundreds of years after we are all dead, people will look back at our discussions here and really care about our opinions.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I know my great grandchildren will.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And now they have, according to the Bravewords article:

Motörhead’s fans and surviving members have spoken loudly and the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame has added drummer Mikkey Dee and guitarist Phil Campbell to the list of eligible band members on the ballot for the class of 2020 nominations.

Initially the ballot only recognized original members Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister, “Fast” Eddie Clarke and Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor.

Motörhead posted the following on Twitter: “Thanks to everyone who spoke up loudly. Thanks to the Rock Hall for listening and adding Phil and Mikkey. All for one and one for all!”

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    And now they have, according to the Bravewords article:

Motörhead’s fans and surviving members have spoken loudly and the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame has added drummer Mikkey Dee and guitarist Phil Campbell to the list of eligible band members on the ballot for the class of 2020 nominations.

Initially the ballot only recognized original members Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister, “Fast” Eddie Clarke and Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor.

Motörhead posted the following on Twitter: “Thanks to everyone who spoke up loudly. Thanks to the Rock Hall for listening and adding Phil and Mikkey. All for one and one for all!”
    But they're still leaving out Wurzel, Robbo, and Peter Gill? Still not right!

MC5, Kraftwerk, and Todd Rundgren should be in. Carry on.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L.
    I know that hundreds of years after we are all dead, people will look back at our discussions here and really care about our opinions.
    Future historians will likely be baffled by the layers of sarcasm found on today's internet.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Future historians will likely be baffled by the layers of sarcasm found on today's internet.
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has layers too. It's sort of the dung beetle of halls of fame.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

YES should be in. oh, wait …

kudos for the KRAFTWERK nom.