Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R&R Hall of Fame 2020 Nominees

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I think part of the thinking about Maiden is, Judas Priest should be in before them. Until Priest gets in, Maiden needs to wait. I can follow that to a point, however Maiden from a more widespread, commercial standpoint, probably deserves to be in more. Although it's kind of splitting hairs given Priest had a few more tunes that received radio airplay.
    Look how ridiculously long is took for Black Sabbath. Sure, they criticized the Hall, which may have had an affect. But, still.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    In reality, of course this is true. But as far as the Rock Hall is concerned, how to explain Metallica being in, a band who followed both? You're looking for logic when there is none.
    The only way i could explain it is that they were more contemporary at the time. Aside from that, it really makes no sense.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    In reality, of course this is true. But as far as the Rock Hall is concerned, how to explain Metallica being in, a band who followed both? You're looking for logic when there is none.
    You know, I forgot about Metallica being in the Hall. You're right, makes zero sense.

^Rather startlingly, they went in more or less as soon as they were eligible- 2009! Black Sabbath took some years, as noted above.

^Rather startlingly, they went in more or less as soon as they were eligible- 2009!
    They can't say Jethro Tull beat them out there.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    "Sad Wings Of Destiny" alone should put them into some kind of Hall of Fame, don't you think? Regardless of what other bands they influenced, Judas Priest stands on their own as being deserving.

As to Whitney, when you get past the fact that she had a incredible singing voice and range, the thing that brings her down in my mind is song selection. Get any one of her albums, particularly the early ones and try to listen to them all the way through. Overwrought ballads, mid tempo and poppy dance tunes and a lot of throwaway "hits" that were overplayed and overrated for public consumption. Without the soaring voice, it's just mediocre R&B.

Depeche and Doobies are no brainers, in my estimation (realizing that the R&R HOF is wrought with problems from the get-go).

I never even really thought of Houston as soul music/R&B. Most of her big hits were fairly MOR ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    They can't say Jethro Tull beat them out there.
    Indeed.

Tull should be in by now. One of the biggest remaining omissions.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    "Sad Wings Of Destiny" alone should put them into some kind of Hall of Fame, don't you think? Regardless of what other bands they influenced, Judas Priest stands on their own as being deserving.
    Nothing profound to say, but I'll say it anway: Love Sad Wings of Destiny. They'll get in so will Tull, eventually. I love watching the televised RRHOF ceremonies. Roxy Music was great last year.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-16-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

As to Whitney, when you get past the fact that she had a incredible singing voice and range, the thing that brings her down in my mind is song selection. Get any one of her albums, particularly the early ones and try to listen to them all the way through. Overwrought ballads, mid tempo and poppy dance tunes and a lot of throwaway "hits" that were overplayed and overrated for public consumption. Without the soaring voice, it's just mediocre R&B.
    We're certainly not her target audience.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Whitney Houston and Notorious BIG got in. To the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rock and Roll.
    More than just got in ... according to a lot of websites and even my local newspaper ....

"Whitney Houston, Notorious B.I.G. lead field into rock hall"

C'mon, y'all
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    More than just got in ... according to a lot of websites and even my local newspaper ....

"Whitney Houston, Notorious B.I.G. lead field into rock hall"

C'mon, y'all
    Gads, what a hall of shame if that's the case. What is needed is a Progressive/Progressive Related type of Hall of Recognition, which gives special awards for excellence in musical works that are not commercially popular, yet advance the cause of substantive musical expression.

While that would be nice, it is a hall of fame, after all.

Gads, what a hall of shame if that's the case. What is needed is a Progressive/Progressive Related type of Hall of Recognition, which gives special awards for excellence in musical works that are not commercially popular, yet advance the cause of substantive musical expression.
    What!!? Being elevated to the status of "Prog God" isn't enough for these Prog-Rock artists? The reek of pretentiousness is making me lightheaded!

It is equally outrageous that Jethro Tull is not in The National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame...

https://www.aghalloffame.com/hall-of...CwpJgINSsqMyGk

One would think inventing the seed drill and horse-drawn hoe would be eventful enough. What a travesty.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Pitchforks and torches!! To the gate!!!

you guys are sticklers for punishment. HOF threads should be banned!
    i gave up on the Hall of Crock when Madonna got inducted.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    you guys are sticklers for punishment. HOF threads should be banned!
    i gave up on the Hall of Crock when Madonna got inducted.
    Oh, it's all just mental masturbation, no harm - no foul. But you do have a point. You could probably look up the last 10 years worth of yearly induction threads and they'd mostly read the same (save for the years Rush and Yes got in).

Whitney Houston better not get in before Neil Sedaka...

Are you kidding? Whitney Houston invented Death Metal.

Whitney Houston, while not a product of Star Search, was much in the same vein of female vocal stylists popularized by the show, which pretty much ushered in an era of over-singing, over-emoting, vocal acrobatics. Houston's looks didn't hurt either. She did have range and power for the type of music she sang but I doubt she'd ever call what she did rock-n-roll. Neither would Notorious B.I.G.

All this chatter about Whitney Houston and no one is bringing up her connection to prog?

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Whitney Houston, while not a product of Star Search, was much in the same vein of female vocal stylists popularized by the show, which pretty much ushered in an era of over-singing, over-emoting, vocal acrobatics. Houston's looks didn't hurt either. She did have range and power for the type of music she sang but I doubt she'd ever call what she did rock-n-roll. Neither would Notorious B.I.G.
    That sums it up quite nicely, while being fair to the singers actual talent. The "over-singing, over-emoting, vocal acrobatics" is tied somewhat to my comments about the song/material selection aspect of these vocalists, who (mostly) don't write their own music. Someone puts a lyric sheet in front of them and they wail incessantly up the pop charts and into the HOF. That's why there are vocalist HOF's, which makes sense. But the R&R HOF is too broadly inclusive and yet refuses to induct obvious rock artists that deserve the honor, such as Tull and others mentioned above.

That sums it up quite nicely, while being fair to the singers actual talent. The "over-singing, over-emoting, vocal acrobatics" is tied somewhat to my comments about the song/material selection aspect of these vocalists, who (mostly) don't write their own music. Someone puts a lyric sheet in front of them and they wail incessantly up the pop charts and into the HOF. That's why there are vocalist HOF's, which makes sense. But the R&R HOF is too broadly inclusive and yet refuses to induct obvious rock artists that deserve the honor, such as Tull and others mentioned above.
    Does it matter if a vocalist does not write their own music?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Does it matter if a vocalist does not write their own music?
    Not to the vocalist or their intended audience, for sure. However, how many prog artists that you or others on this forum believe deserve to be in the HOF don't write their own music?

Not to the vocalist or their intended audience, for sure. However, how many prog artists that you or others on this forum believe deserve to be in the HOF don't write their own music?
    I don't care who writes music and who doesn't -- pop music or prog. If their voice is good, that's the payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I don't care who writes music and who doesn't -- pop music or prog. If their voice is good, that's the payoff.
    Many Motown artists in the Hall did not write their own music.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap