Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: R&R Hall of Fame 2020 Nominees

R&R Hall of Fame 2020 Nominees

Voting is done through Google this year.

My picks:

Rundgren
    T. Rex
    Kraftwerk
    Thin Lizzy
    Judas Priest
    Motorhead

Whitney fucking Houston?! What a joke. And of course, the record company will make sure she's in. Still waiting for:

Jethro Tull
    Pixies
    The Cure
    The Jam
    The Smiths
    King Crimson
    Iron Maiden (far more influential and vital than Judas Priest)
    Warren Zevon
    Kraftwerk
    Richard Thompson
    Little Feat
    Blue Oyster Cult
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^I tend to agree many of these should clearly be inducted ahead of some of this batch. But of these...

Todd Rundgren
    T Rex
    Thin Lizzy
    MC5
    Motorhead

I wouldn't mind Judas Priest, The Doobie Brothers or Kraftwerk either. Admittedly of the bands I chose, some of the main members are dead!

I have to say I think Whitney Houston is the most bizarre suggestion yet. Pretty much no crossover with a rock audience, IMHO. I think it's a stretch to even say much of her work was soul/R&B (and on that basis, I'd go instead for all those 60s/70s vocal groups who aren't in there yet- Spinners etc.). It'll be Mariah Carey next.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Several of those artists don't rock or roll much, if at all. But criticism seems to be what the Rock Hall is for. When it's all said and done, it will not have affected me in the least.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Whitney and B.I.G for me. Nothing else on the list is even close to rock.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Depeche Mode
    Kraftwerk
    Judas Priest
    MC5
    Motorhead
    T Rex
    Thin Lizzy

I don't know how you could argue against the influence of the first 6 of those.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Whitney fucking Houston?! What a joke. And of course, the record company will make sure she's in. Still waiting for:

Jethro Tull
    Pixies
    The Cure
    The Jam
    The Smiths
    King Crimson
    Warren Zevon
    Kraftwerk
    Richard Thompson
    Little Feat
    Blue Oyster Cult
    That's a pretty damn definitive list if you add Motorhead.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Wow, what a list. I'm actually ok with any of them that are voted in. Kind of hard to just pick 5.
    Last edited by progholio; 10-15-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

Jethro Tull
    Pixies
    The Cure
    The Jam
    The Smiths
    King Crimson
    Warren Zevon
    Kraftwerk
    Richard Thompson
    Little Feat
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Hi there, Kraftwerk is on the list.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

How many years are we going to have to hear the "X is not rock and roll" argument? Does the building have to have its name changed to the Popular Music Hall of Fame in order for this to stop?

Surprised King Crimson wasn't nominated.

Here are my picks:
    Pat Benatar
    Doobie Bros. (would love to see them reunite with Michael MacDonald, but that probably won't happen)
    Whitney Houston (if Donna Summer is in, so should Whitney)
    Judas Priest (imagine the Priest induction taking place after Whitney?)
    Motorhead
    T-Rex
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Thin Lizzy
    Judas Priest
    Motorhead
    Todd Rundgren
    T-Rex

Those would be my five choices, but you know it wont' be that. It'll be Whitney, Notorious Fats, Soundgarden, Dave Matthews Band, and Nine Inch Nails.

Hmmmm....Isnt there going to be a Whitney Houston Hologram Tour happening soon? I heard it somewhere......coincidence?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

why do they have to keep nominating Rufus & Chaka Khan, the MC5 and Kraftwerk??

honestly, not nearly enough people are going to vote for them.

Yet THE MONKEES have yet to be nominated even once!

they need to kick out at least HALF of that NOMINATION COMMITTEE and get someone on there who will finally get The Monkees on the ballot for once.

............................................______ __........................
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
    .........................,/...............................................”:, ........
    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,.....
    .................../.................................................. .........,}....
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}....
    .............../.................................................. .,:”........./.....
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../.....
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/...........
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../.............
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
    ,,_..........}.gt;-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,....
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\... .....................
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\............. ..........
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__..
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`gt;--==``.......
    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\...............
    ...................................,lt;`.._|_,-;``................`\..............

Todd all the way. And some others...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Todd all the way. And some others...
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Depeche Mode
    Kraftwerk
    Judas Priest
    MC5
    Motorhead
    T Rex
    Thin Lizzy

I don't know how you could argue against the influence of the first 6 of those.
    No Japan, no Mode. Thin Lizzy before those posers all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post

Yet THE MONKEES have yet to be nominated even once!

they need to kick out at least HALF of that NOMINATION COMMITTEE and get someone on there who will finally get The Monkees on the ballot for once.

....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
    .........................,/...............................................”:, ........
    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,.....
    .................../.................................................. .........,}....
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}....
    .............../.................................................. .,:”........./.....
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../.....
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../.............
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
    ,,_..........}.gt;-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,....
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\... .....................
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\............. ..........
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__..
    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\...............
    ...................................,lt;`.._|_,-;``................`\..............
    Is that supposed to be a helmet the hands are holding?

I don't know if you're kidding about The Monkees or not, I certainly think they did more than Notorious BIG or Whitney FRELLING Houston. But they'll never get in because there's still that whole "Pre-Fab Four" aura, that keeps them from being viewed the way they ought to be. OK, the first couple albums are kinda on the bubblegum side, but everything everyone says about The Monkees was true for virtually every band in LA at the time:

1. The Byrds hired their first drummer, who had literally no musical experience, because he resembled Mick Jagger and Brian Jones (I picked up on the resemblance, looking at photos of the original band in photos during the 80's, even before I read about it many years later)

2. Relatively few bands wrote their own songs in the 60's. Even The Beatles and The Rolling Stones went heavy on the covers on their early records. The Byrds two biggest hits were both cover tunes. Also, Joan Jett, who also has been inducted, made a career out of doing covers and songs written by other people during her solo career. Her biggest hits (I Love Rock N Roll, Crimson & Clover and Do You Wanna Touch) were all covers, as were most of her other singles. And that was during the 80's, by which time writing your own songs had become de riguer in rock n roll (but of course, not in pop or R&B music).

3. Most bands recording in LA used studio musicians, to one extent or another. Roger McGuinn is the only Byrd playing on their first single (yes, it's him, Gene Clark and David Crosby singing, but it took their producer awhile to figure out that Cros, Chris Hillman and apparently even Michael Clarke were good enough at their respective instruments to play on the subsequent recordings). I'm not sure about the early Beach Boys records, but certainly the highly acclaimed stuff such as Good Vibrations and Pet Sounds feature very little of the Wilson brothers, Mike Love or Al Jardine actually playing their respective instruments.

I think because The Monkees had a TV show, and are viewed as "bubblegum" or 'teen idols" or whatever, and because the public at large have no idea how the LA music scene worked in the 60's, no matter how good many of their records were, nor how innovative they may have been (go to Youtube and listen to the songs Star Collector and Daily Nightly, also, I have reason to believe Mickey Dolenz might have been the first musician to be seen on TV with one of Robert Moog's creations), they're never gonna escape that aura.

Ian

Has Weird Al Yankovic gotten in yet? Oh wait, I don't care.

It's bizarre how they come up with their nominees. How can Priest be there but Maiden isn't? Heck, Maiden is one of the biggest bands on the planet - who else owns their own frikkin' airplane? - yet they get snubbed. Oh well, whatever. The HOF has been a joke for a long while and that ain't a gonna change.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just heard a kid say "Whitney Houston" is my favorite band! They rock!"

No love for THE NICE?

I actually think it is a pretty good list this year. Of course there are bands missing that should be there, but here are my thoughts:

• Pat Benatar – Benatar was a groundbreaking female artist in many ways, breaking into the rock n roll boys club. I could see her getting in.

• Dave Matthews Band – I am not really a huge fan but get that he has quite a following. Too soon IMO, as there are older band that should get in first.

• Depeche Mode – No doubt that they were huge and influence. I was never a fan, but like a few of their songs. I could see him getting in.

• The Doobie Brothers – My very first rock concert was The Doobie Brothers back in 1978. The Doobies had a pretty good run for almost two decades. I wouldn’t have a problem with this one.

• Whitney Houston – No doubt Whitney was an amazing talent, but she has nothing to do with rock and roll. Should not be nominated.

• Judas Priest – Heavy metal is vastly underrepresented in the Hall Of Fame. Priest should be in already.

• Kraftwerk- I was never a huge fan, but there is no doubt that these guys were pioneers of electronic music. They would deserve to get in.

• MC5 – Being from Michigan the MC5 are hometown heroes. Do they deserve to be in the hall? This one is iffy

• Motörhead – They were never as big here in the U.S. as they were overseas, but they should have been in already before Lemmy died.

• Nine Inch Nails – I get that Reznor and company were influential with their take on industrial heavy rock, but not sure that they deserve it more than others on this list.

• The Notorious B.I.G. – Rap not rock. He was a talented rapper, but this is the rock and roll hall of fame.

• Rufus featuring Chaka Khan – Again, I don’t really consider what Rufus / Khan did was rock and roll as they were R & B to my ears.

• Todd Rundgren – I have been hot and cold on Rundgren’s stuff over the years, but he should get in

• Soundgarden – They will get in eventually, but too soon now with older bands more deserving.

• T.Rex – One of the founding glam bands in the 70’s, but I don’t see them getting in.

• Thin Lizzy – I love Thin Lizzy, but they never really hit the big time in the U.S. and were much bigger in Europe. I would love to see them get in but doubt it will happen.

Well, outside Whitney and maybe another name, that's a pretty serious list, where most of them would be deservant of inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I have to say I think Whitney Houston is the most bizarre suggestion yet. Pretty much no crossover with a rock audience, IMHO. I think it's a stretch to even say much of her work was soul/R&B (and on that basis, I'd go instead for all those 60s/70s vocal groups who aren't in there yet- Spinners etc.). It'll be Mariah Carey next.
    Absolutely, WH has no business on that list, IMHO

Agree that Maiden should be in, but without Priest, no Maiden.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Whitney and B.I.G for me. Nothing else on the list is even close to rock.

though I'm not faliliar of B.I.G

why do they have to keep nominating Rufus & Chaka Khan, the MC5 and Kraftwerk??
    Well even Rufus has its arguments, IMHO. (not speaking of our own Rufus, BTW)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.