Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R&R Hall of Fame 2020 Nominees

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    YES should be in. oh, wait …
    Yes should be inducted again, just for emphasis. And given a permanent exhibit at the museum.

Class of 2020:

Whitney Houston
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    Depeche Mode
    Doobie Brothers
    Nine Inch Nails
    T. Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I hope Whitney Houston & Notorious B.I.G. get in this year!!! That would be perfection.

Strange to think there are probably more 'prog' acts in there than hard rock/metal or punk ones. Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest and Motorhead all passed over. MC5 will probably never get in now. Obviously nobody is pushing for them anymore.

Quite surprised T Rex got in (the only one in my own choice of five!). If it was a UK institution they'd have been in years and years ago, but I wasn't aware of a major lobby for them in the US.

Whitney Houston's induction will set the cat among the pigeons for sure. Whether you're a fan or not (I'm not but whatever), I don't see any link to rock. The name of this institution is the cause of all this.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    T Rex is a surprise and I'm happy Depeche Mode got in but they really must hate metal.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

No Devo?
    No Todd?
    No Thin Lizzy?
    No MC5?

Fuckem!

Sorry, but I just don't think T Rex should be in before so many other bands that had far more success.

So, when are they going to change it to the Popular Music Hall of Fame?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

T. Rex and Slade were among the biggest bands in the UK during the early 70s. A run of Number 1 singles/albums. Easily big enough.

Meanwhile US phenomena of that era like Grand Funk Railroad meant next-to-nothing in the UK. Even Todd Rundgren (who should be in) has never had much commercial success here either. It works both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    T Rex is a surprise and I'm happy Depeche Mode got in but they really must hate metal.
    It certainly looks that way. Despite being nominated, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Motorhead were all passed over in 2019/20. Wow.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-15-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Iron Maiden wasn't nominated, never have been.

Devo was nominated in 2018, not this year.

Dave Mathews Band won the fan vote, Pat Benatar finished second, neither got in.

The Fan Vote is inept. It needs to count for 1/3 of the actual vote or like 333+ Ballots.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    T. Rex and Slade were among the biggest bands in the UK during the early 70s. A run of Number 1 singles/albums. Easily big enough.
    T Rex had one #1 album (four top ten), plus two comps that reached the top spot.

Their singles did chart very well in the UK.

Their US chart performance was not good at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._Rex_discography

Personally, I think their influence was more noteworthy than their chart performance.

But, still, I just don't think they should be in before a number of other bands.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well, I am surprised they got in, yes- if only because I wasn't aware they had much cache in the US at all. But I'm glad they did.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Iron Maiden wasn't nominated, never have been.
    Hmm, for some reason I thought they were nominated in 2018 with Def Leppard who did get in with the 2019 inductees. I'm wrong. Even worse that they haven't been nominated at all.

^^ That's a travesty.

Congrats to Whitney Houston, the Queen of Kamikaze Guitar Rock.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Me. No. Care.

Whitney Houston belongs to any institution whose majority membership includes performers who achieved a meteoric rise to stardom, become a drug addicts, self-destruct, fuck over their careers then die an ignominious deaths.

To be eligible for the Hall of Fame an individual artist or band must have released their first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination.

Ballots were cast by an international voting body of more than 1,000 artists, including current living Inductees, historians and members of the music industry.
    Factors such as an artist's musical influence, body of work, innovation, style and technique are taken into consideration with the voting, according to the organization.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/15/enter...ees/index.html

Whitney Houston and Notorious BIG got in. To the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rock and Roll. Nothing says rock like Whitney and Biggie Smalls.

Meanwhile, congratulations to King Crimson and Jethro Tull for their election into the Hip Hop Hall of Fame. Such worthy entrants. They are such great rappers.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Me. No. Care.
    Whitney Houston belongs to any institution whose majority membership includes performers who achieved a meteoric rise to stardom, become a drug addicts, self-destruct, fuck over their careers then die an ignominious deaths.
    Apparently, you do care.

Look, I'm the first to state that she doesn't belong there. But, to make such a cold-hearted statement about a person who was incredibly talented and made a lot of personal mistakes is more of a reflection on you than anything.

If you were trying to impress us, you did. But, not in the way you intended.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Apparently, you do care.

Look, I'm the first to state that she doesn't belong there. But, to make such a cold-hearted statement about a person who was incredibly talented and made a lot of personal mistakes is more of a reflection on you than anything.

If you were trying to impress us, you did. But, not in the way you intended.
    oh look, an admonishment and stinging indictment from ronmac.

I wasn't trying to impress anyone. Just because I make a flippant comment about a universally planned institution (at least around here) like the RRHOF or its motivations doesn't mean I care. If I had something better to do I wouldn't be posting on this thread. And neither would you.

And yes, my comment about Houston (and others in that club) were certainly insensative. Guilty as charged. Let punishment fit the crime.

And yes, my comment about Houston (and others in that club) were certainly insensative. Guilty as charged. Let punishment fit the crime.
    You should be proud of yourself.

Whaddaya say, boys, that we similarly trash all of our favorite prog artists who succumbed to the same problems as Whitney Houston? It's a pretty long list.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You should be proud of yourself.

Whaddaya say, boys, that we similarly trash all of our favorite prog artists who succumbed to the same problems as Whitney Houston? It's a pretty long list.
    it seems you think my comments were pointed solely at Whitney Houston. Yes many pop stars, rock stars, musical performers have gone out in the way that I described. Perhaps that is the Rock and Roll Hall Of fame's real criteria. Looking back, I could have framed my commentary differently to reflect that sentiment. Maybe the Hall should have an ironic section just for artists who sought fame only to realize they couldn't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well, I am surprised they got in, yes- if only because I wasn't aware they had much cache in the US at all. But I'm glad they did.

Hmm, for some reason I thought they were nominated in 2018 with Def Leppard who did get in with the 2019 inductees. I'm wrong. Even worse that they haven't been nominated at all.

I think part of the thinking about Maiden is, Judas Priest should be in before them. Until Priest gets in, Maiden needs to wait. I can follow that to a point, however Maiden from a more widespread, commercial standpoint, probably deserves to be in more. Although it's kind of splitting hairs given Priest had a few more tunes that received radio airplay.

I think part of the thinking about Maiden is, Judas Priest should be in before them. Until Priest gets in, Maiden needs to wait. I can follow that to a point, however Maiden from a more widespread, commercial standpoint, probably deserves to be in more. Although it's kind of splitting hairs given Priest had a few more tunes that received radio airplay.
    It seems that being an influence is an important factor for RRHOF as well as popularity. Of course, the RRHOF has to like the genre in which the influence is prevalent as well.

Besides, both bands are still active touring concerns and there is the danger that one or both would be able perform at the ceremony.

I think part of the thinking about Maiden is, Judas Priest should be in before them. Until Priest gets in, Maiden needs to wait.
    In reality, of course this is true. But as far as the Rock Hall is concerned, how to explain Metallica being in, a band who followed both? You're looking for logic when there is none.