Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: R&R Hall of Fame 2020 Nominees

  1. #26
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,626
    Who the F is Rufus? The guy from PE who hated jazz?

  2. #27
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth
    Voting is done through Google this year.
    People get to vote? I always thought the Rock Hall was like the Academy of Motion Pictures where no one who is not a member can vote. What do you vote for? To narrow down the nominees to a smaller group? How many artists do you get to vote for? Do you have a link to the voting page?

    ____________________________________________

    The nominees are fine with me. Like everyone else, I can think of bands more deserving, but I don't hate any of the nominees. I have not heard Notorious B.I.G., though. I have half a dozen albums or more by most of the nominees listed, except four of them, one of which never made half a dozen albums, one of which made only rap and was outside my listening sphere, one of which was a pop singer and not a rocker although it is impossible never to have heard her, and the last made some decent R&B but I don't need all their albums in order to appreciate them. Having half a dozen albums by non prog artists is probably sacrilege to many here. Progressive is still my favorite music, but poverty forces me to find most of my music in thrift stores these daze, and I have wide-ranging taste.

    One of the main things I dislike about the RRHOF is that they exclude some members of bands they nominate. And they are at it again this year:

    Motorhead’s Campbell, Dee Skipped in Rock Hall Nomination: ‘Pure Wrong’

    There is no reason for this.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Who the F is Rufus? The guy from PE who hated jazz?
    Really?!



    I'm not sure if I'd induct them, I don't really know their music too well besides this one song, so I don't really know how "important" they are.

  4. #29
    SteveSly: Also a Detroiter here and having seen the MC5 a bunch of times in their heyday at the Grande and Easttown, the answer is absolutely they belong. And they absolutely do not belong, simply because they were counterculture during a time when it mattered. On their musical merit and importance, they are critical to the history of rock- both for their political stance and for their influence on the development of punk and heavy metal. But time has passed, and not so many people know any more who they are given that this is a popularity contest now, and not merit-based. I would find it ironic if they were to win, because they so clearly rejected this kind of idiocy. Only Wayne Kramer and Dennis Thompson would be around to accept, though. But seeing them live was life changing. You had to be there. No one has ever had that intensity before.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    One of the main things I dislike about the RRHOF is that they exclude some members of bands they nominate. And they are at it again this year:

    Motorhead’s Campbell, Dee Skipped in Rock Hall Nomination: ‘Pure Wrong’

    There is no reason for this.
    Well, I'm not surprised that if Motorhead were to be inducted, it'd just be Lemmy, Philthy Animal, and Fast Eddie. That was the theoretically "classic" lineup that influenced the evolution of heavy metal. The lineups after Fast Eddie dropped out, some of them made some fine music, but it's slightly inconsequential. If it was me picking who gets in, in the case of Motorhead I'd probably include everyone, just because you're not really talking about that many musicians. Besides the classic trio, you're talking two drummers, and three guitarists, so a total of 8 musicians (I'm not sure if I'd include Larry Wallis, because though he was the original guitarist, he was only one record, and that didn't come out until a few years after it was recorded). By contrast, when P/Funk were inducted, they included something like 15 musicians.

    What bothered me was things like the deals with Genesis and Deep Purple. They left Anthony Phillips, one of the architects of the Gabriel era sound (if you're including Peter and Steve, then you're commemorating that part of their existence, and Ant was one of the key people in determining that sound, with the double 12 strings, it's also now a known fact he co-wrote The Musical Box, and the others have said the only time they really thought about breaking up was when Ant left).

    With Deep Purple, they left out Nick Simper and Tommy Bolin. I can sorta see them leaving Tommy out, because maybe Come Taste The Band was as significant as the MK-I, MK-II, and MK-III records, but it still seems petty to not include Tommy, who was one of the most mind blowing guitarists of that era. Leaving out Simper is just plain...I dunno, that's beyond petty, because you induct the rest of the original lineup, but you leave out one guy. WHY?! Again, if you said "Oh, well, the first three albums weren't as important as the subsequent records", I could maybe buy that. But saying, "We're gonna induct the original lineup, minus one guy, but we are inducting the two guys who replaced him" that's like you're deliberately trying to insult the guy.

    I'm kinda ok about them not including Steve Morse or Don Airey because, though they're great musicians, Deep Purple after 1975, at the very latest, was again really kinda inconsequential. Nice music, but not really all that "important", ya know?

    But it would be nice if they inducted everyone, though that could get complicated if they were to induct a band like, say, Iron Butterfly, who've had a myriad of musicians among their ranks over the years.

  6. #31
    Motorhead were highly influenced by the MC5. Shame if they got in before the 5 did.

    Turn this up to 11.And watch with 1970 eyes.

    Last edited by Dana5140; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:51 PM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  7. #32
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,435
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    One of the main things I dislike about the RRHOF is that they exclude some members of bands they nominate. And they are at it again this year:

    Motorhead’s Campbell, Dee Skipped in Rock Hall Nomination: ‘Pure Wrong’

    There is no reason for this.
    That's ridiculous
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  8. #33
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,678
    I hope Whitney Houston & Notorious B.I.G. get in this year!!! That would be perfection.

  9. #34
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,517
    Todd weighs in-

    "I didn't expect it and have never cared about it. The hardest thing was keeping my fans' expectations within reasonable bounds because they are very naïve about it. I'm not; It's some weird "Illuminati" thing and nobody understands how it works and who does the voting and the nominee selections and all that sort of crap.

    "I'm not looking for some organization to acknowledge me, somehow. Besides, the Hall of Fame doesn't make any sense to me because musicians don't have to retire. Athletes retire, and that's when they go into the Hall of Fame, because they're not playing anymore. But everybody (the Rock Hall) is inducting now is still playing, so how can you say you've got the measure of them? You don't. So, no, I really don't care."

    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ss_FWOMZA4UgDU

  10. #35
    And here is from Wayne Kramer of the MC5:

    MC5’s Wayne Kramer, whose band has now received five nominations, said he was “just about out of keen observations” regarding induction. “It seems as though all the bands that came after the MC5, or at least a great many of those bands, acknowledge the influence that the MC5 had," he noted. "The MC5 exists on a level that most modern rock fans are unaware of. It's only the real hardcore fans, the people that take rock seriously and do their homework who understand the influence of the MC5 on rock as we know it. So I guess we wait and see. Again.”

    Read More: Judas Priest, Soundgarden and MC5 React to Rock Hall Nomination | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/juda...edium=referral
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  11. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Right Coast
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    How many years are we going to have to hear the "X is not rock and roll" argument? Does the building have to have its name changed to the Popular Music Hall of Fame in order for this to stop?

    Surprised King Crimson wasn't nominated.


    Here are my picks:
    Pat Benatar
    Doobie Bros. (would love to see them reunite with Michael MacDonald, but that probably won't happen)
    Whitney Houston (if Donna Summer is in, so should Whitney)
    Judas Priest (imagine the Priest induction taking place after Whitney?)
    Motorhead
    T-Rex
    Doobie Brothers! My fav here by far. Michael McDonald would most definitely show up. He has played with the Doobies and Simmons and Johnson have played with him over the years.
    Good to see that a band still gets along after they split.
    Benatar
    Houston

    That's my picks for this year. Of course there are plenty of deserving others like King Crimson, Tangerine Dream and ...

  12. #37
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Todd weighs in-

    "I didn't expect it and have never cared about it. The hardest thing was keeping my fans' expectations within reasonable bounds because they are very naïve about it. I'm not; It's some weird "Illuminati" thing and nobody understands how it works and who does the voting and the nominee selections and all that sort of crap.

    "I'm not looking for some organization to acknowledge me, somehow. Besides, the Hall of Fame doesn't make any sense to me because musicians don't have to retire. Athletes retire, and that's when they go into the Hall of Fame, because they're not playing anymore. But everybody (the Rock Hall) is inducting now is still playing, so how can you say you've got the measure of them? You don't. So, no, I really don't care."

    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ss_FWOMZA4UgDU
    I'm pretty sure Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, MC5, the Notorious BIG & T Rex aren't still playing.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  13. #38
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,760
    I did not realize that Whitney Houston's emaciated corpse had been exhumed and was forced onto the road. Then again, she's probably beneath Todd's notice or concern.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  14. #39
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    • Whitney Houston – No doubt Whitney was an amazing talent, but she has nothing to do with rock and roll. Should not be nominated.

    • Kraftwerk- I was never a huge fan, but there is no doubt that these guys were pioneers of electronic music. They would deserve to get in.
    Just kind of playing devil's advocate here, but if you're going to take the "Whitney Houston doesn't get in because she isn't rock 'n' roll" stance, I'm not sure how you can defend Kraftwerk.

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just kind of playing devil's advocate here, but if you're going to take the "Whitney Houston doesn't get in because she isn't rock 'n' roll" stance, I'm not sure how you can defend Kraftwerk.
    While I was never a fan of Kraftwork, I would suspect the argument would be that they were influential, like many of the inductees who aren't rock.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm pretty sure Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, MC5, the Notorious BIG & T Rex aren't still playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I did not realize that Whitney Houston's emaciated corpse had been exhumed and was forced onto the road. Then again, she's probably beneath Todd's notice or concern.
    I thought it was obvious he was talking about living musicians, not the deceased ones.

    He was exaggerating, but most of the people getting inducted are actively performing and not retired, so his point is valid.

  17. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just kind of playing devil's advocate here, but if you're going to take the "Whitney Houston doesn't get in because she isn't rock 'n' roll" stance, I'm not sure how you can defend Kraftwerk.
    Indeed, but again, Kraftwerk have at least achieved a crossover with a rock audience. Also, their influence filtered down to rock acts like David Bowie. I am not sure anything Houston did had any impact like that on the trajectory of rock music. All these arguments go back to them calling it the 'Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame' in the first place.

    As for MC5, I suspect the issue is that they have never had the profile of- say- The Stooges.

  18. #43
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Really?!



    I'm not sure if I'd induct them, I don't really know their music too well besides this one song, so I don't really know how "important" they are.
    Mmmhhh!!!... A few months ago, I had seen a live video (which I couldn't find yesterday or today) where Rufus was developping a wild type (but still very commercial) of funk rock, but in most of what I saw the last two days, it's defiinitely soapy soul stuff (not "rock" enough in my book). Rufus is however a historical force to be recknoned with , since they took part of the Stax festival in the early 70's.
    What irritates me is that Chaka Kahn's horrible 80's funk (as was most 80's funk) is probably the hidden motiive behind this nomination, more than Rufus themselves.

    Both Withney and Chaka fill political correctness in that they are black & female, though... So most likely in times when white heterosexual males over 50 have become the cancer of society, they're probably a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just kind of playing devil's advocate here, but if you're going to take the "Whitney Houston doesn't get in because she isn't rock 'n' roll" stance, I'm not sure how you can defend Kraftwerk.
    While I was never a fan of Kraftwork, I would suspect the argument would be that they were influential, like many of the inductees who aren't rock.
    I get the point as well, as Kraftywerk was experimental "rock" in their first three albums, then went to a proto-electro-pop afterwards (as Cluster would as well), but their general creer makes them "rock" just enough in my book, because of the "Krautrock" thing.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  19. #44
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,650
    Kraftwerk's influence is massive. To suggest otherwise means you just don't know.

  20. #45
    Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    132
    I really don't care about this, the R&R Hall. But for me it's kind of relevant since there is a guy at work who really seems to care about it. In fact he claims that he singlehandedly got Rush inducted. Don't ask me how, I try to never talk to the guy for more than 30 seconds. I'm just glad I don't work anywhere near him. This is the same guy who swears that Duran Duran is prog. And that there are only three prog rock bands that ever mattered, Yes, The Moody Blues and Rush.

    In any case, I would vote as follows,

    Todd
    Judas Priest
    Motorhead (the more metal the better and yes Maiden should have been in a long time ago, Def Leppard is in and Maiden isn't, WTF!)
    Soundgarden (the best and most talented band to come out of grunge. Superunknown is a top 30 all time record for me.)
    The Doobies
    Pat Benatar
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

    Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

    From "Fanboys" 2009.

  21. #46
    I will say that Pat Benetar should have gotten in long before Joan Jett. I'm no fan, but she has some pretty good numbers.

    from wiki:

    Patricia Mae Giraldo (née Andrzejewski; born January 10, 1953), who goes by the stage name Pat Benatar, is an American singer, songwriter, actress, and four-time Grammy Award winner. She has two RIAA-certified multi-platinum albums, five platinum albums, three gold albums, and 15 Billboard Top 40 singles, including the Top 10 hits "Hit Me with Your Best Shot", "Love Is a Battlefield", "We Belong", and "Invincible".
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Patricia Mae Giraldo (née Andrzejewski; born January 10, 1953)
    I know an Andrzejewski. I wonder if he's related.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I will say that Pat Benetar should have gotten in long before Joan Jett. I'm no fan, but she has some pretty good numbers.

    from wiki:

    Patricia Mae Giraldo (née Andrzejewski; born January 10, 1953), who goes by the stage name Pat Benatar, is an American singer, songwriter, actress, and four-time Grammy Award winner. She has two RIAA-certified multi-platinum albums, five platinum albums, three gold albums, and 15 Billboard Top 40 singles, including the Top 10 hits "Hit Me with Your Best Shot", "Love Is a Battlefield", "We Belong", and "Invincible".
    The thing about Joan Jett is, most of the songs that are associated with her are cover tunes (or, in the case of I Hate Myself For Loving You, it came from an outside songwriter). Now granted, I just heard Do You Wanna Touch for the first time in quite some time tonight, and I remembered how it just completely buries the Gary Glitter version. But is that enough to be inducted?! Beating Gary Glitter at his own game?!

  24. #49
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The thing about Joan Jett is, most of the songs that are associated with her are cover tunes (or, in the case of I Hate Myself For Loving You, it came from an outside songwriter).
    You could say the same about Janis Joplin, but is there any doubt that she deserves to be in the HOF?

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    You could say the same about Janis Joplin, but is there any doubt that she deserves to be in the HOF?
    Very good point.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •