Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Violin in Progressive Rock

Yes busted, went back and scanned a few clips, have to say tho' some of the synth/keyboards are a bit violin-ey.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    However, their style is not in what has come to be known as the "Canterbury" style. Still like them, though.
    Indeed. They did cover a Caravan-song however, so I forgive them for misleading us

What's all the fuss about violence in progressive rock?

Definitely Iona
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Aaand definitely UK
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I always thought the violin really helped make the sound for Arti & Mesteiri. I'm glad there's a lot of violin on the newest album.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I always thought the violin really helped make the sound for Arti & Mesteiri. I'm glad there's a lot of violin on the newest album.
    I agree. What's the name of the new album? I asume it's available from the usual vendors.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I agree. What's the name of the new album? I asume it's available from the usual vendors.
    Not really new but from 2015 Universi Paralleli features lots of violin. The band is on tour with a instrumental "best of" set for
    some time now.

I think a "live" Album is more likely than a new Studio one at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Not really new but from 2015 Universi Paralleli features lots of violin. The band is on tour with a instrumental "best of" set for
    some time now.

I think a "live" Album is more likely than a new Studio one at this time.
    That live-album was already released in 2017. It's called "Live In Japan - The Best Of Italian Rock". It's a 2CD/DVD-package. A lot of violin indeed

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    That live-album was already released in 2017. It's called "Live In Japan - The Best Of Italian Rock". It's a 2CD/DVD-package. A lot of violin indeed
    Of Course, I was talking about a live Album from the current Lineup without a vocalist (who seems to have returned to his former band Cantina Sociale)

Second Vision, featuring Ric Sanders on violin and John Etheridge on guitar. And as has been mentioned Wally - extremely under-rated & original band.

Resurrecting this thread for Jean-Luc Ponty's 78th birthday today. Here’s The Struggle of the Turtle to the Sea, from his most recent tour.
    Last edited by Wah3; 09-29-2020 at 08:42 PM.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Marcus Viana (Sagrado) from Brazil.

Has Kleber Vogel of Quaterna Requiem and Kaizen been mentioned?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Has Kleber Vogel of Quaterna Requiem and Kaizen been mentioned?

Thanks for posting. I've not heard it - quite nice violin and keyboards.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I've always envied people who have a great command of a musical instrument. It feels like these people have magic that only they can demonstrate. I've always wanted to be one of them. But my parents did not deal with my creative development as a child. They were too busy with their work. And when I became an adult, I decided that I would try to learn to play the violin. At first, I was afraid, and then I thought when I would have the opportunity again, if not this time. I learned more about music courses and signed up for them. Of course, it is still difficult for me to master the tool, but I apply the maximum desire and perseverance to this.
    Last edited by Williamrush; 04-23-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I'm sure someone here will think it's not cool to suggest because I was in the band, but Eccentric Orbit - Creation of the Humanoids has The Mighty Tom spraying violin all over the damn place.
    Oh yeah, that's right. Spraying quite nicely i might add
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Did anyone mention Canadian avant-prog metal band, uneXpect?

YMMV

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great band
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

How could I have forgotten the great US based, Zeuhl band, Corima!?

Unfortunately for us fans, Andrea the violinist moved out of LA, so Corima is no more. They left 2 great albums for us to enjoy, though.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post

YMMV

What did the basplayer think? "There are not enough strings on most basses?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    How could I have forgotten the great US based, Zeuhl band, Corima!?

Unfortunately for us fans, Andrea the violinist moved out of LA, so Corima is no more. They left 2 great albums for us to enjoy, though.
    From the FB page, new album coming soon

New Album Update!
    We are thrilled to share with our fans that we are working hard on finishing our new album Hunab Ku set to be released this year! Most of the material of this album was recorded back in 2016 during the recording session of our third album Amaterasu which was released that same year. Then last year we decided to get all of the material for our new album back from the recording engineer and started recording the final parts of the album. Even though we tried to finish recording the album late last year, the challenges of the pandemic made it really hard for some of the band members to finish recording their last parts which prevented us from releasing the new album last year. However, things have moved forward with the recording quite a bit since last year and we are now even closer to our goal of finishing the last details of the album so that we can release it this year.
    We will definitely keep you updated on the date of the release of our new album so stay tuned for news about this coming soon!
    We are also excited to announce that our dear friend and incredibly talented musician Jason Adams will be featured as a guest musician on cello for our new album! Jason is a top-notch virtuoso cellist who has collaborated with some of the most innovative and cutting-edge music projects in the LA underground and experimental music scene for years and we are beyond thrilled and honored that he will be recording cello for our new album!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

YMMV

I didn't expect that.

Jan Hammer's Oh Yeah? album with Steve Kindler. Fantastic fusion album! 4 bucks at Wayside Music.