Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Violin in Progressive Rock

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

The Violin in Progressive Rock

Next to the Cello, Violin is one of my favourite instruments in progressive rock. The violin is often achingly beautiful and blends so nicely with the other instruments. There are countless examples, but bands like PFM, Curved Air, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Le Orme and KBB scratch the itch. What bands do you like that figure the violin prominently?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 10-15-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

FM, Deus Ex Machina, Caravan, Electric Asturias, Thank You Scientist, Dixie Dregs, Forgas Band Phenomena
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Zappa: Thirteen, Fifty Fifty, Farther Oblivion, Little House, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Zappa: Thirteen, Fifty Fifty, Farther Oblivion, Little House, etc...
    I agree that Jean Luc Ponty makes an important contribution.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I agree that Jean Luc Ponty makes an important contribution.
    Along with Sugarcane Harris, and L Shankar.

UK, Kansas, Roxy Music
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Next to the Cello, Violin is one of my favourite instruments in progressive rock. The violin is often achingly beautiful and blends so nicely with the other instruments. There are countless examples, but bands like PFM, Curved Air, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Le Orme and KBB scratch the itch. What bands do you like that figure the violin prominently?
    You might like (from Curved Air) Darryl Way's Wolf. Mostly instrumental. "Saturation Point" is probably my fave of the trio of albums. Esoteric re-issued these about 10 years ago. Stay well my friend!!

In addition to those already named: Providence (one-shot band on Threshold label), It's a Beautiful Day (sort of prog), Resistor, String Driven Thing, Family, Van der Graaf (for an album or two with String Driven Thing's violinist)
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Pavlov's Dog

I'm sure someone here will think it's not cool to suggest because I was in the band, but Eccentric Orbit - Creation of the Humanoids has The Mighty Tom spraying violin all over the damn place.

If you like KBB, also try ptf, a more recent band in a similar vein.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Forgas, Aranis , Bent Knee, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are the ones that jump immediately to mind.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Magma - Didier Lockwood ! He is prominent on the few albums where he is present.
    Gentle Giant - the violin is important to the sound on many tracks, and some good solos here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    You might like (from Curved Air) Darryl Way's Wolf. Mostly instrumental. "Saturation Point" is probably my fave of the trio of albums. Esoteric re-issued these about 10 years ago. Stay well my friend!!
    Thanks Lino, heard of Wolf but will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    If you like KBB, also try ptf, a more recent band in a similar vein.
    I'll definitely follow-up on that.

A vastly underrated album, "Present Time" by violinist Michael Zentner, is worth getting.

Fusion, Gong, and some avant-prog influences.

Fred Frith, Carla Bley, Kenwood Dennard, John Greaves, Hansford Rowe, Percy Jones, and a few others all take part on this.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

On the fusion side of things, Polish violinist, Michael Urbaniak has plenty of great releases.

"Fusion" and "Fusion III" are worth getting for sure.

Also, his ex-wife, jazz singer, Urszula Dudziak, has some really good albums with Urbaniak on violin.

"Future Talk" is a killer.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

German prog band, Hoelderlin, has some very nice viola.

Not quite as virtuosic as some others mentioned so far, but quite tasty and moody.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Resistor
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Bent Knee
    I'll second both of these, and add Discipline! Speaking of Resistor, Steve Unruh's solo albums also feature lots of his violin playing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Two of the most impressive violin solos I know

The whole track is great

The violin solo at 3.02 is fabulous, the track is ahem...

King Crimson while David Cross was a member.

BTW: This thread should be in the Main Board, not the OT.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I'm sure someone here will think it's not cool to suggest because I was in the band, but Eccentric Orbit - Creation of the Humanoids has The Mighty Tom spraying violin all over the damn place.
    Wicked inappropriate, dude. You should be banned! Just kidding, always a good thing to sing Tom's praises even if we were both in the band. He made that second album special, both instrumentally and with his composition skills! I think fans of violin in Prog would love this record.

KBB has come up, but I think Tsuboy is even better on Pochakaite Malko's second album, Laya, and their Doppelganger EP. Another good Japanese band with violin is Stella Lee Jones.

I've been enjoying a band from Quebec called Les Evades that have both violin and cello which are prominently featured. Really nice stuff, they have two albums out, one new this year! (https://lesevades.bandcamp.com/)

And from Italy, recommend Macroscream who feature violin. I obviously also second the DeM recommendation.

Bill

High Tide; did two albums for Liberty, both are excellent. Although their violinist Simon House later went on to greater fame in Hawkwind and David Bowie's live band.

Azoth from Japan makes great progressive rock with jazz-rock/U.K.-influences. Their sole CD (they made some cassettes) The Awkward's Age End has some fine violin-playing by Junko Minobe.
    https://www.discogs.com/Azoth-The-Aw...elease/9647348

Boud Deun:

Interference Sardines:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-