Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KC plays Fracture

KC plays Fracture

I know this is the one number many of us looked forward to, but only a few got to see.

So, for the curious...

https://www.facebook.com/TheArtOfPro...360807232/?t=2

Thoughts??

Loved it. Fripp's vibrato looks pretty insane but it sounds beautiful so I guess it works for him, eh?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

That was pretty damn good, 45 years after I saw them do it in DC......
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I know this is the one number many of us looked forward to, but only a few got to see.

So, for the curious...

Thoughts??
    That was nice.. thanks for posting

This lineup is incredible. I love their arrangements of the old stuff, and it makes me excited to hear the originals again.

They know they can't out-tough the original, so they go in a different direction and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Showoff .

That is a pretty wicked version.

Seriously wicked!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Was that the June '74 show from Road to Red?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Was that the June '74 show from Road to Red?
    Yes. Kennedy Center. Was amazing to be able to hear it in good sound 40 years later!!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Was thrilled when they played this the first time I saw them in this configuration. That dense rhythmic thicket stuff they do in the middle and end is some of my favorite stuff for this lineup.

Long live the Crimson King.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

This is perhaps the piece that has undergone the most rewriting by the current line-up. It sounds pretty much like the original, but the structure is different (one arpeggio section has been removed, the remaining ones have been altered and elongated), the lines have been adapted to the NST (sometimes transposed), although the original version would, in my experience, remain mostly playable as is in that tuning, and the Escher-like mellotron descending motif at the end is missing. The arrangement is fleshed out for two guitars (circulated intro, heterophony in the arpeggio sections, harmonized lines at the end...) and the tempo has increased.
    It's not quite a cover version, nor a variation, then. It's notable that Fripp has written several variations on "Fracture" : "FraKctured", "The Moving Force" (which applies the fingerings of the augmented arpeggios in a different tuning) and possibly the "Fracture Variation" below (it's unclear whether this was written by Fripp or by this excellent GC student).

Last edited by unclemeat; 10-14-2019 at 08:31 AM.

I can't claim to have seen "Fracture" 45 years ago - I was about a year late coming to the Crimson party and didn't see them until the Discipline tour - but I am now one of those favored few to have seen both "Fracture" and "FraKctured" live. (Indeed, the show I saw was one of the best sets they played on this tour, with not only "Fracture" but "Cat Food", "Neurotica", and "Elektrik").
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Fripp has gone on record saying that he was foolish for composing such a difficult piece to play. When the modern-era band decided to resurrect it, Fripp commented that he spent the vast majority of his rehearsal time on trying to re-master Fracture. Now, sadly, it takes to guitarists to play the beginning, but Fripp still did pretty well on his own playing the Moto Perpetuo part. I've not see anyone (and I've scoured the internet) who has mastered the piece the way Fripp played it in the '70's. In fact, there is a multi-part series on the immense discipline, training, and expertise required to tackle that beast.

God I love this band! Wish they would write some new material together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

So, for the curious...

Thoughts??
    Lucky me I did see it, precisely when that video was recorded in July 19, 2017. They played it again in Mexico City this year during their last concert here, but I did not attended that one.

Thank you!!

Stunning.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    God I love this band! Wish they would write some new material together.
    Banshee Legs Bell Hassle
    Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind)
    Meltdown
    The Hell Hounds of Krim
    Radical Action II
    Suitable Grounds for the Blues
    Interlude
    Devil Dogs of Tessellation Row
    The Errors
    CatalytiKc No. 9

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Banshee Legs Bell Hassle
    Meltdown
    The Hell Hounds of Krim
    Radical Action II
    Interlude
    The Errors
    CatalytiKc No. 9
    How would you (and others) arrange that collection, and what 'version' if multiple have been released?
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    Fripp has gone on record saying that he was foolish for composing such a difficult piece to play. When the modern-era band decided to resurrect it, Fripp commented that he spent the vast majority of his rehearsal time on trying to re-master Fracture. Now, sadly, it takes to guitarists to play the beginning, but Fripp still did pretty well on his own playing the Moto Perpetuo part. I've not see anyone (and I've scoured the internet) who has mastered the piece the way Fripp played it in the '70's. In fact, there is a multi-part series on the immense discipline, training, and expertise required to tackle that beast.
    On the Vienna release, fripp plays the beginning of the song himself, or at least its mixed in such a way where it sounds like him alone. That is how they did it in 2016. In 2017, they switched the beginning to being fripp and jakko trading off lines, as seen on meltdown.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    How would you (and others) arrange that collection, and what 'version' if multiple have been released?
    Beats me. I tried making an album out of all the new pieces that have shown up since Orpheum (including the Elements boxes and some of the live versions of Scarcity tunes) and failed to get anything that segued smoothly enough for my liking. Maybe someone else has tried it and had better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Banshee Legs Bell Hassle
    Meltdown
    The Hell Hounds of Krim
    Radical Action II
    Interlude
    The Errors
    CatalytiKc No. 9

I always thought those were old songs that were remixed to work with the current lineup. Silly me.

sourdough advocate
    That was intense!!
    Thanks for posting it. It makes me marvel at the power of the Wetton/Bruford rhythm section.
    When in doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post

Derail: He also talks about Henry Cow "Western Culture" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGDyCCQzCmw

Lucky Man
    When I saw them in Nov. 2017 they did NOT play this.

So thanks so much for posting! Enjoyed.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Watching (both the video and live) I came away with the impression that, like the hocketting at the beginning of "FraKctured", the hocketting here was done so the other guitarist wouldn't spend the whole introduction doing nothing. (Not that there's anything wrong with doing nothing!)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.