Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson ITCOTCK 50th Anniversary

King Crimson ITCOTCK 50th Anniversary

I can't believe I didn't see a thread for this. Today, 10/10 marks the 50th anniversary of the release of In the Court of the Crimson King.

We enter The Court of the Crimson King in a Flashback 50 when we go back to the debut album by King Crimson​, including comments from Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Banco de Gaia, Maya Beiser and Tim Motzer tonight on Echoes. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-gFZ

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    I can't believe I didn't see a thread for this. Today, 10/10 marks the 50th anniversary of the release of In the Court of the Crimson King.

We enter The Court of the Crimson King in a Flashback 50 when we go back to the debut album by King Crimson​, including comments from Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Banco de Gaia, Maya Beiser and Tim Motzer tonight on Echoes. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-gFZ
    My birthday as well- one I have always been happy to share.

How King Crimson’s masterpiece led a generation to Pink Floyd’s ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’

‘In the Court of the Crimson King’ was released 50 years ago – Pink Floyd, Yes and Genesis could never have sounded like they did without it, says Simon Hardeman

Read More Here:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9121641.html

^ It was a direct influence on Trespass, as stated by the band. I'm sure most of you are already aware of that.

ITCOTCK.....Progressive Rock: Chapter One, Verse One.

AND....not to be lost, but it is also the 50th anni of the release of Hot Rat's by Zappa.
    G.A.S -aholic

The Feature on KC's ITCOTCK is up in the Echoes Podcast now.
    A stuffed Echoes Podcast. Hear an interview with Icelandic ambient chamber duo, Hugar, a Flashback 50 to King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" including interview with Robert Fripp; and finally, we remember Erik Scott, the wonderful bassist who departed on October 11. Get it here or in the Echoes App. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-gIW

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ It was a direct influence on Trespass, as stated by the band. I'm sure most of you are already aware of that.
    Yes indeed! Not only did King Crimson influence Genesis, according to legend they had the cover of ITCOTCK posted in the cottage where they rehearsed (the band also purchased a Mellotron from KC in 1971).

Funny, but ITCOTCK and The Power to Believe are the only KC-studioalbus I dont have...

I'm usually not this much of a nerd, but this week I've listened back-to-back-to-back the 30th Anniversary CD I grew up with (born in the 80s), the Original Master, and the Steven Wilson mix.

The Original Master is a noticeable improvement over the 30th anniversary. The Steven Wilson mix is interesting. It doesn't sound that different to me. There's more drums and--is that piano?--in the Epitaph crescendo. The drums sound less strange in Moonchild. I think it follows the original mix pretty closely. The biggest difference is that he cut three minutes from the Moonchild jam. The way people talked about this when it came out, I assumed he had cut out the whole thing.

I'd say I prefer the Original Master.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I'm usually not this much of a nerd, but this week I've listened back-to-back-to-back the 30th Anniversary CD I grew up with (born in the 80s), the Original Master, and the Steven Wilson mix.

The Original Master is a noticeable improvement over the 30th anniversary. The Steven Wilson mix is interesting. It doesn't sound that different to me. There's more drums and--is that piano?--in the Epitaph crescendo. The drums sound less strange in Moonchild. I think it follows the original mix pretty closely. The biggest difference is that he cut three minutes from the Moonchild jam. The way people talked about this when it came out, I assumed he had cut out the whole thing.

I'd say I prefer the Original Master.
    Huh? As far as I remember it is cut by 9 minutes, leaving only 3...

You have it backwards : 3 minutes have been cut from the 12 minutes piece, leaving 9 !

This means I need to re-listen to it

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Funny, but ITCOTCK and The Power to Believe are the only KC-studioalbus I dont have...
    Your missing on a classic and moden classic. TPTB is their best release since Red.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

This King Crimson debut LP marked a memorable and very influential turn in my life as a music fan. Just like when I first heard Schizoid man for the first time, also just as significant as the first time I went to see a Genesis concert (Nov. 1973) without even having heard a single note of their music and by matching my pleasure of listening to Roundabout and admiring the amazing Roger Dean Fragile artwork cover. I might add that I became a Jethro Tull fan when listening to Aqualung on short band radio when as a young adolescent when I had very few rock music availability while living overseas.

Funny how 50 years changes everything, now thank God I have the chance to buy and own all the King Crimson Box sets but still look back at ITCOTCK as the dawn of that memorable turn that opened the gates to the Progressive music world that still keeps me motivated and loyal.

A really in-depth article was published in Rolling Stone magazine about the details of making the song "21st Century Schizoid Man". It contains a lot of facts I didn't know, right from the principles themselves.
    Part I: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...id-man-891600/
    Part II: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...e-west-892305/

And for those who missed my thread, a review.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    And for those who missed my thread, a review.
    Just read your review of the ITCOTCK 50th Anniversary set and (as always) it's a great in-depth piece. Looking forward to getting my copy!! Thanks for your hard work John K.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Just read your review of the ITCOTCK 50th Anniversary set and (as always) it's a great in-depth piece. Looking forward to getting my copy!! Thanks for your hard work John K.
    Thanks for the kind words! It’s funny...especially now with chronic fatigue syndrome, preparing for and writing in-depth reviews do take lot of energy for which I need to try and budget (and I absolutely pay for it). That said, while I get tired and often can’t write more than 3-4 hours in a day, it never really feels like “hard work.” I enjoy doing them so much that I’d have to be on my death bed to stop writing (and even then? We’ll see!).....
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I've just finished working my way through the four discs, and I'd say it's a winner.

Here's my take on it, with some thoughts on the new mix, having compared 2009 and 2019 cd mixes and the dvd vs the new bluray surround mix.

https://momentstransition.wordpress....-edition-2019/

Not as learned an assessment as John Kelman's, but hopefully of interest to the casual fan considering buying this edition rather than the full box set next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I've just finished working my way through the four discs, and I'd say it's a winner.

Here's my take on it, with some thoughts on the new mix, having compared 2009 and 2019 cd mixes and the dvd vs the new bluray surround mix.

https://momentstransition.wordpress....-edition-2019/

Not as learned an assessment as John Kelman's, but hopefully of interest to the casual fan considering buying this edition rather than the full box set next year.
    Nice review!!

Where is that big forthcoming 50th boxset with all of the extras???
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Where is that big forthcoming 50th boxset with all of the extras???
    It comes out next year. I think their release schedule is a bit slowed down due to their touring.

On the forum of the DGM website, Alex Mundy recently replied about this box set: The 1969 Boxed set content is still to be finalised. I know David Singleton has been working through the multi-tracks to create a fly on the wall disc, like Keep That One Nick, if possible. I have been kindly sent the original tapers cassette from Chesterfield, which has been transferred at 192/24. Plus other bits and bobs, and remasters, for consideration.

Looks like a 51st anniversary box... if we’re lucky !