Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Yes - UK & Euro tour 2020 - Relayer

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    If getting upset at the spotlight operator is the worst thing about "bad Steve" we can come up with, then I'm good with it and him.
    There may be more behind the spotlight thing then we know about, things happen during a live performance, sometimes something as simple as the light not coming on or off of the performer can throw things off. Plus this is a very difficult piece of music, and one that hasn't been performed much, so stress and tension could be part of it.
    To add to this, when my wife and I saw Yes when they came to the Dallas area last year Steve asked several times during the show for those in the audience taking photos (or recording) to please turn off their phone flashlights. These flashlights may accidentally turn on while using the phone. I know because it has happened to me so it's understandable, at least with iphones. Others in the audience totally understood what Steve wanted and shouted to those responsible to turn them off. It's obvious these lights were a distraction for Steve.

Billy Sherwood posted a photo of himself and Alan Parsons, while commenting "Hanging with the amazing Alan Parsons who will be our opening act for the upcoming YES shows in March !!!" (which I assume he means May? Unless there are some gigs around the cruise?)

Last edited by Dan Roth; 01-18-2020 at 10:15 PM.

[QUOTE=Dan Roth;951376]Billy Sherwood posted a photo of himself and Alan Parsons, while commenting "Hanging with the amazing Alan Parsons who will be our opening act for the upcoming YES shows in March !!!" (which I assume he means May? Unless there are some gigs around the cruise?)

Hopefully hanging around with AP means Billy will soak up some production and engineering tips.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Billy Sherwood posted a photo of himself and Alan Parsons, while commenting "Hanging with the amazing Alan Parsons who will be our opening act for the upcoming YES shows in March !!!" (which I assume he means May? Unless there are some gigs around the cruise?)
    I think it's more likely he means March. There was already some indication that there would be some shows around the cruise. Tickets for May make no mention of a support act.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

If they take it to the US, I'll go. I've never seen them play the side 2 stuff ("To Be Over" is a vastly underrated Yes song that would be a treat to hear, and I think this lineup could pull off that one well at least), even a less-than-stellar Yes concert is like comfort food to me, and though they've lingered surprisingly long, I'd be surprised if Yes still exists in any form more than 5 or so years from now. I try to catch these old bands whenever I can.

But on the other hand, it's not like I don't have mixed feelings about latter-day Yes. They aren't exactly exiting public life gracefully or on any sort of high note. Howe still plays reasonable well, and probably figures that milking the Yes legacy is a relatively easy way to make half a million a year (or however much) while he still has the energy. But post-Anderson Yes is kind-of like an aging sports star who hangs on as a backup player well past his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post
    If they take it to the US, I'll go.
    Expected autumn 2020.

Henry

Considering that Steve is at the helm of Yes now, I'm surprised that even one song from the Trevor-Yes lineup made it to the setlist.
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post
    If they take it to the US, I'll go. I've never seen them play the side 2 stuff ("To Be Over" is a vastly underrated Yes song that would be a treat to hear, and I think this lineup could pull off that one well at least), even a less-than-stellar Yes concert is like comfort food to me, and though they've lingered surprisingly long, I'd be surprised if Yes still exists in any form more than 5 or so years from now. I try to catch these old bands whenever I can.

But on the other hand, it's not like I don't have mixed feelings about latter-day Yes. They aren't exactly exiting public life gracefully or on any sort of high note. Howe still plays reasonable well, and probably figures that milking the Yes legacy is a relatively easy way to make half a million a year (or however much) while he still has the energy. But post-Anderson Yes is kind-of like an aging sports star who hangs on as a backup player well past his prime.
    If a less than stellar Yes concert is the best we can hope for God Bless Us

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    Given Jon Anderson sounds amazing now, did you ever think of asking Jon Anderson to be a part of the tour? Since he wrote a lot of the music with you and of course is the original voice of Yes who has talked about wanting to tour again with you, it might be nice, don't you think?"
    Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    I wasn't aware that he had been asked since Anderson's comments so directly expressed such desire at the end of last year. Honestly it should frustrate him. Anderson is a founding member and his voice is currently the stronger voice. Howe's unwillingness to work with Jon does a disservice to the music whatever he may say.
    Why can't people just let this go? It's not going to happen. They flat-out don't like each other, and apparently for good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Why? They get asked his question all the time. Howe has answered it multiple times and it clearly frustrates him.

Henry
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Just to be clear, I wasn't upset or bothered by his behavior in that video, but frankly there's no way around acknowledging that he was acting weird. He's not the lighting director or the stage manager. Play the music and let the other people do their jobs. Audio problems I can understand being upset by. But frankly I have no idea what he was trying to communicate to the spot op, and it's not surprising that the spot op didn't know either. But the spot op is the stage manager or lighting director's responsibility (no idea how the Yes crew runs a show), not the performers'. I say this as someone who worked as a stage manager and spotlight operator for years; a performer jumping up and down and waving at you when the light is off, and then growling at you angrily when you turn it on, then stomping off the stage when you turn it off again? WTF is the op even supposed think Howe wants?
    I couldn't disagree more. Everything is the artist's responsibility. And Howe has assumed the mantle of bandleader, so he's therefore concerned with how the band is presented on stage.

If the spotlight operator screws up, no one will be complaining about the spotlight operator. They'll be complaining about the band. Everything reflects upon the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Considering that Steve is at the helm of Yes now, I'm surprised that even one song from the Trevor-Yes lineup made it to the setlist.
    He's softened over that in the last few years. I think he's realized that it's part of the band's history and that people want to hear it. Somewhat.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I think it's more likely he means March. There was already some indication that there would be some shows around the cruise. Tickets for May make no mention of a support act.

Henry
    Indeed - and notably, NOT the Relayer show:

YES Announces Run Of U.S. Spring Tour Dates Leading Into Their Annual “Cruise to the Edge”

YES have announced a run of spring U.S. headline tour dates March 19-25 leading into their annual Cruise to the Edge (March 27–April 1) sailing out of Miami. At four shows in Florida and one in South Carolina, the band will perform their classic hits and be joined by the Alan Parsons Live Project.

March 19 North Charleston PAC, North Charleston, SC
    March 22 Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, FL
    March 24 Florida Theatre, Jacksonville, FL
    March 25 Broward Center, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 01-21-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    At four shows in Florida and one in South Carolina, the band will perform their classic hits and be joined by the Alan Parsons Live Project.

March 19 North Charleston PAC, North Charleston, SC
    March 22 Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, FL
    March 24 Florida Theatre, Jacksonville, FL
    March 25 Broward Center, Ft. Lauderdale, FL[/B]
    They say "four shows in Florida and one in South Carolina", but list three in Florida, and one in SC. A mix-up or there's another FLA show to come?

I broke my clavicle on the way to a Yes show in South Carolina. I hope attendees of this show have a better time.

Henry

Uh, drop by Atlanta while you're passing thru.

They say "four shows in Florida and one in South Carolina", but list three in Florida, and one in SC. A mix-up or there's another FLA show to come?

I broke my clavicle on the way to a Yes show in South Carolina. I hope attendees of this show have a better time.

Henry
    Looks like they added the other show-at Seaworld on March 21

Nice!

Fortunately for Billy we all know SC won't be played at its recorded tempo.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

At least Sherwood will apparently be ready. Sounds like he's got Squire's lines down.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Nice!

Fortunately for Billy we all know SC won't be played at its recorded tempo.
    With Jay behind the kit... all we need is for Steve to polish up his licks.. I remain hopeful they pull this one off..

It would be great to have Alan Parsons along for the Yes fall tour but I doubt it.

I wonder what is keeping Yes from announcing the Fall dates? Many artists have already announced dates well into 2021.