Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes - UK & Euro tour 2020 - Relayer

^^^ This is very unprofessional behaviour, he's getting mad at the spotlight operator and forgets his place in the song, embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ^^^ This is very unprofessional behaviour, he's getting mad at the spotlight operator and forgets his place in the song, embarrassing.
    I wonder if he kicked the operator in the head after the concert...
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Just throwing this out there for anyone curious about Gates on the US tour. Gates around 1:05:00.

If anyone can get inside Howe's head the first few minutes, I'd love to know what you see in there. He seems to be yelling at the spotlight op to turn the light on, and when it comes on he gets mad and tells him to leave it off. Twice.

(edited to add that the first few minutes are a mess as Howe is playing sloppy while stomping around the stage mad at who knows what. Things come together around 1:07:47)
    (edited again to laugh about Howe's obsession with the spotlight being on when he wants it off and off when he wants it on continues throughout the entire song. He's so weird.)

This sounds like comedy gold! Tuning in now...

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I wonder if he kicked the operator in the head after the concert...

I remember when I saw Asia. Howe did a similar frantic pointing thing when a few people got up out of their seats to dance during 'Heat Of The Moment'. I wasn't sure if it was out of admiration or in a 'help, security!' sense! (And I also remember the intro being badly flubbed- he played the riff in its original key rather than the downtuned one which threw everything off!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ohHqRg7PGE

maybe the same spotlight handler

New audio interview with Steve.

https://www.mixcloud.com/garry-foste...2020-hour-two/ (Steve comes on at the 17:17-mark)

Some of the subjects touched upon:

- Roger Dean will be on the tour this year, "as he will be next year"
    - This lineup has had the most opportunity to play the widest breadth of Yes songs ever
    - Playing Relayer on tour - the most requested, the most fearsome and complicated album to play
    - Relayer is a bit like Drama in that most of it hadn't been played since the original tour which makes it exciting
    - This lineup could not have done Relayer any sooner because of the immense amount of homework - when you walk in to rehearsals on the first day, the expectation is that you will be able to play the whole songs, "all of the songs, all the way through"
    - Tony Levin introduced this idea upon arriving to the ABWH rehearsals knowing all of the music
    - They started the Going for the One album with Patrick but it didnt work out; wanted Tony Kaye or Rick Wakeman to come back when things didn't work out with Moraz
    - How proud he is of the "From a Page" release and the songs that "Trevor rejected"
    - New album: There is a process going on that could result in a new album, and he wont talk about it much until that process is coming to a head. There could be one if things go well, but "it will have to go through a few more testing times"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    New audio interview with Steve.

https://www.mixcloud.com/garry-foste...2020-hour-two/ (Steve comes on at the 17:17-mark)

Some of the subjects touched upon:

- This lineup has had the most opportunity to play the widest breadth of Yes songs ever
    - Playing Relayer on tour - the most requested, the most fearsome and complicated album to play
    - Relayer is a bit like Drama in that most of it hadn't been played since the original tour which makes it exciting
    - This lineup could not have done Relayer any sooner because of the immense amount of homework - when you walk in to rehearsals on the first day, the expectation is that you will be able to play the whole songs, "all of the songs, all the way through"
    - Tony Levin introduced this idea upon arriving to the ABWH rehearsals knowing all of the music
    - They started the Going for the One album with Patrick but it didnt work out; wanted Tony Kaye or Rick Wakeman to come back when things didn't work out with Moraz
    - How proud he is of the "From a Page" release and the songs that "Trevor rejected"
    - New album: There is a process going on that could result in a new album, and he wont talk about it much until that process is coming to a head. There could be one if things go well, but "it will have to go through a few more testing times"
    This is the first I've ever heard of this.. stories that have circulated for years had Brian Lane talking with Wakeman along with the cassette that Jon sent him.. thus giving me and others the impression that Rick was the obvious choice right out of the gate..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    This is the first I've ever heard of this.. stories that have circulated for years had Brian Lane talking with Wakeman along with the cassette that Jon sent him.. thus giving me and others the impression that Rick was the obvious choice right out of the gate..
    A somewhat related item of interest is something I heard from drummer Dave Kerman, who attended several shows on the GftO tour and swears that Tony Kaye was part of the band's entourage in some managerial capacity. Of course I told him it made no sense and I've never seen this corroborated by any other source, but he swears it's true.

What makes it even more intriguing is that Kaye *did* get involved in the band's management in the period between "Talk" and "Keys to Ascension", although that was very brief. But the anecdote is about 1977, not 1995.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    A somewhat related item of interest is something I heard from drummer Dave Kerman, who attended several shows on the GftO tour and swears that Tony Kaye was part of the band's entourage in some managerial capacity. Of course I told him it made no sense and I've never seen this corroborated by any other source, but he swears it's true.

What makes it even more intriguing is that Kaye *did* get involved in the band's management in the period between "Talk" and "Keys to Ascension", although that was very brief. But the anecdote is about 1977, not 1995.
    I’d be surprised if Kaye was there during the GFTO tour. He was with Detective then. They released two albums in 1977 and toured in late 1977.

Kaye mentioned he only met Rick once prior to the Union tour. In a bathroom somewhere...

(Steve Howe said)
    This sounds exactly right to me.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Thanks for posting this, Dan. The interview was done in December, so "next year" means 2020.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

If getting upset at the spotlight operator is the worst thing about "bad Steve" we can come up with, then I'm good with it and him.
    There may be more behind the spotlight thing then we know about, things happen during a live performance, sometimes something as simple as the light not coming on or off of the performer can throw things off. Plus this is a very difficult piece of music, and one that hasn't been performed much, so stress and tension could be part of it.

We saw Yes live last tour, and I saw no bullying by Steve during the entire show, so maybe we should give him a break and enjoy the music.
    Our heroes are getting older, they tour constantly, they get tired, they lose patience with people, they get sick or they have a bad night, geez, just like the rest of mere mortals.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I may be wrong but I can't see Anderson & Howe reuniting in Yes ever. If Steve lets Jon back in the door then he loses control and Anderson will try to dictate terms, it has nothing to do with Jon's voice or even the music, its politics, and the two of them just don't see eye to eye anymore sadly.
    This^

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    If getting upset at the spotlight operator is the worst thing about "bad Steve" we can come up with, then I'm good with it and him.
    There may be more behind the spotlight thing then we know about, things happen during a live performance, sometimes something as simple as the light not coming on or off of the performer can throw things off. Plus this is a very difficult piece of music, and one that hasn't been performed much, so stress and tension could be part of it.

We saw Yes live last tour, and I saw no bullying by Steve during the entire show, so maybe we should give him a break and enjoy the music.
    Our heroes are getting older, they tour constantly, they get tired, they lose patience with people, they get sick or they have a bad night, geez, just like the rest of mere mortals.
    Last two times I've seen Yes Steve has made comments re: people recording the show via Iphones etc. His comments went something like.. "It's OK to take a couple of photos but to sit and film the whole show not cool.. etc."..

Last two times I've seen Yes Steve has made comments re: people recording the show via Iphones etc. His comments went something like.. "It's OK to take a couple of photos but to sit and film the whole show not cool.. etc."..
    I remember reading John Mitchell saying something similar in reference to their shows, but in the context of his FB page. About how disheartening it was to look out into the audience and see people without faces anymore, but a phone held up taking video of them while performing. And as a performer how nice it was to see people sitting back or standing and just watching and listening to the music.
    Yes, it's the way of the world today, and frankly coming from an era where I would go to a concert and everyone just watched the show or stood up and danced, I find it rather sad.

When we saw Yes in Clearwater the ushers would go around whenever they saw someone with their phone video recording a song, telling them to put them away.
    didn't bother me in the least because I was watching the folks on stage(what I could see over big heads sitting in front of me). lol

I don't think Steve's comments are isolated to Steve alone. Now you want to talk about Diva's, I read Barbara Streisand had it in her contract, backstage people couldn't look at her..lol

I really don't know how you heard Steve's comments. Everytime I hear someone one stage it's usually mumble mumble mumble..even when I we saw Jon...mumble, here's the mumble next song..
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Hell, at the show I was at, Steve and JD saluted and name-checked every member of the crew, and each one got applause.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    This sounds like comedy gold! Tuning in now...

This video is why I wont waste my money - they sound like a bunch of high school kids playing a cover. Sounds like shit.

I remember reading John Mitchell saying something similar in reference to their shows, but in the context of his FB page. About how disheartening it was to look out into the audience and see people without faces anymore, but a phone held up taking video of them while performing. And as a performer how nice it was to see people sitting back or standing and just watching and listening to the music....snip..
    If a band want to make an issue about that that’s up to them (although they should probably make the policy clear when buying the ticket). If someone wants to film on their phone it really doesn’t bother me and I don’t understand why people get annoyed - it does not spoil my enjoyment of the show - as people getting up and dancing or people talking doesn’t- it’s as if they’re looking to be offended. They should stay at home and watch the DVD. I’ve seen some people want to treating a rock gig like they were at church. I bet most of them go onto YouTube after the gig anyway - as I usually do.

Just to be clear, I wasn't upset or bothered by his behavior in that video, but frankly there's no way around acknowledging that he was acting weird. He's not the lighting director or the stage manager. Play the music and let the other people do their jobs. Audio problems I can understand being upset by. But frankly I have no idea what he was trying to communicate to the spot op, and it's not surprising that the spot op didn't know either. But the spot op is the stage manager or lighting director's responsibility (no idea how the Yes crew runs a show), not the performers'. I say this as someone who worked as a stage manager and spotlight operator for years; a performer jumping up and down and waving at you when the light is off, and then growling at you angrily when you turn it on, then stomping off the stage when you turn it off again? WTF is the op even supposed think Howe wants?

Are saying that this qualifies as "bullying?" You highlighted "I saw no bullying by Steve during the entire show" in the post you were responding to, so it seems like you're calling "It's OK to take a couple of photos but to sit and film the whole show not cool.. etc." bullying. That would be a weird interpretation.

Just to be clear, I wasn't upset or bothered by his behavior in that video, but frankly there's no way around acknowledging that he was acting weird. He's not the lighting director or the stage manager. Play the music and let the other people do their jobs. Audio problems I can understand being upset by. But frankly I have no idea what he was trying to communicate to the spot op, and it's not surprising that the spot op didn't know either. But the spot op is the stage manager or lighting director's responsibility (no idea how the Yes crew runs a show), not the performers'. I say this as someone who worked as a stage manager and spotlight operator for years; a performer jumping up and down and waving at you when the light is off, and then growling at you angrily when you turn it on, then stomping off the stage when you turn it off again? WTF is the op even supposed think Howe wants?
    James, I wasn't singling you out for your comments, but in response to many comments who had negative things to say about Steve in this video.
    I wasn't there, I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes and we can't jump to conclusions based on the video in my opinion. Perhaps the operator is new, or has had repeated failure at operating the spotlight correctly and on time..we just don't know.
    Also, I think the stress of performing a difficult piece may have contributed to Steve's lack of patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    If a band want to make an issue about that that’s up to them (although they should probably make the policy clear when buying the ticket). If someone wants to film on their phone it really doesn’t bother me and I don’t understand why people get annoyed - it does not spoil my enjoyment of the show - as people getting up and dancing or people talking doesn’t- it’s as if they’re looking to be offended. They should stay at home and watch the DVD. I’ve seen some people want to treating a rock gig like they were at church. I bet most of them go onto YouTube after the gig anyway - as I usually do.
    My quote was from John Mitchell and his opinion as a performer on stage.

I agree, if people stand up, it's hard to see.
    If someone is recording next to me, it doesn't bother me either, I just think it's sad to miss some of the concert because you're focused on getting a good recording. I understand about having a momento of the show, and that's cool, but some people record much longer than that.

Church-like behavior at a show...ewwwwwww

While I'm here, I've blogged some brief observations on the year in Yes at http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I've read that the rest of the Rolling Stones have to adapt to whatever Keith Richards is playing on guitar - if he throws in a extra beat in a measure, if he leaves out a beat, if he speeds up or slows down, etc. the rest of the band doesn't stubbornly plow on playing the song "correctly". When you're playing 4/4 blues rock it isn't that hard to adapt on the fly like that. It sounds like Steve Howe is doing the same thing, just playing the song his way and expecting everyone else to adjust and fall in time with him... except that Yes music is way more complex than the Rolling Stones and it's not that easy to adapt. Especially when the other musicians aren't named Squire, Wakeman and White and lack the telepathic communication that years of playing and recording together will bring...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Are saying that this qualifies as "bullying?" You highlighted "I saw no bullying by Steve during the entire show" in the post you were responding to, so it seems like you're calling "It's OK to take a couple of photos but to sit and film the whole show not cool.. etc." bullying. That would be a weird interpretation.
    No I wouldn't call it bullying.. just an observation of Steve's interaction with the crowd other than to announce the song coming up or thanking the crowd for attending the show.