Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 62 of 62

Thread: Yes - UK & Euro tour 2020 - Relayer

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I never fell into the no Jon A no Yes group. But I will be honest I wasn't a fan of Jon D even when he sang for Glass Hammer. I think he has a nice voice and I would love to hear him doing his own material and anything that is not an emulation of Jon Anderson, and hear his voice the way he wants to sing. I think he's probably a very nice, humble down to earth person who feels extremely blessed to have the job he has, a dream job to sing with a band as well known and respected as Yes.
    I've supported the band since Jon D joined. I bought Heaven and Earth, both live DVD's with Chris, Topographic Drama and spent a couple hundred dollars to see them live in the fall of 2018.
    But I have to say, I enjoyed Benoit David better and Fly From Here to me is heads above Heaven and Earth, and the re-release of FFH is my favorite last Yes purchase(except for the Steve Wilson remix on vinyl boxset).

    So I think my wallet has proven I didn't quit Yes after Jon D arrived.
    We are all different and if Yes still works for you and everyone else, I'm happy for you and especially for Yes because I love and respect the band for all the joy it's given me over the years.

    I was only sharing how the last live release and the announcement of this tour no longer excites me(personally). It's like being in a relationship that doesn't work anymore but you keep trying, but you reach a point you can't convince yourself anymore and it's time to climb up on Solisbury Hill and be "honest with yourself"
    I put the part about not meaning it snarkily in there for a reason. I didn't take you as a no Jon/no Yes poster and didn't claim you hadn't supported them post Anderson. That said, you mentioned multiple times the Jon A impact and that Jon D doesn't do it for you. I do not agree at all with the idea that Jon D is "emulating" Jon A. He is singing in his own voice, though he happens to be singing songs that were written for Jon A so of course he tends to phrase similarly and use the same range. That isn't emulating, that is singing a part. Benoit was more in the emulation mode on-stage than Jon D, IMO. I don't think they are all that close in terms of who can handle Yes material - Jon D is naturally in that range and Benoit had to work at it (eventually seems to have cost him some).

    I also mentioned getting the whole Jon Anderson live thing because if it is something that touches you, it is different than anyone else singing those parts. It is for me, anyway. That said, I am at the point where I'd rather hear Yes with Jon D do more interesting setlists than Jon A playing the same stuff over and over - even if they are reworked. Decades ago, I would have guessed that no Chris or Anderson would have meant I'd be done with Yes, but I'd have been wrong. Things change and I still enjoy catching them live.

    I almost never buy live DVDs, so I cannot attest to whether or not I'd like the most recent one.

  2. #52
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,336
    my friend, I meant no disrespect to you in responding to your comments.
    Oh man, the printed word on forums is so unforgiving, isn't it?
    We disagree and that's cool and I'm glad you are expressing how you feel about Yes, just as I have.

    The most recent live concert wasn't available on DVD this time. I had kind of hoped they would've made one for Topographic Drama because I love Drama and a lot of the music on Topgraphic.

    I have to say, Dave Kerzner just posted on FB a sample of a new song for his new In Continuum album(Part II) which is he and Jon D singing harmony on one of the songs and it sounds wonderful.

    I hope you can get a chance to see Yes perform Gates on this tour.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

  3. #53
    They better bring back the War of the Worlds stage set or I ain't goin'!!!!
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    They should have done this ten years ago. But whatever....
    They should have done it 20 years ago.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They should have done it 20 years ago.
    They should have done it 45 years ago!

    Oh... hold on, they did.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They should have done it 20 years ago.
    Squire explained why they didn't do it in the past. He could see parts of the audience falling asleep whenever they played something off of Tales or Relayer. I can't see him agreeing to doing 40 minutes.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    They should have done it 45 years ago!

    Oh... hold on, they did.
    All of Relayer?

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Squire explained why they didn't do it in the past. He could see parts of the audience falling asleep whenever they played something off of Tales or Relayer. I can't see him agreeing to doing 40 minutes.
    OK, then how do you explain the Masterworks tour, where they played both Ritual and Gates Of Delirium? From what I gather, that tour was well received, and they did both those pieces again on the following year's Yessymphonic tour.

    Weren't they already doing the full albums thing before Squire went home? What's the difference between doing Close To The Edge in it's entirety, and diong Relayer in it's entirety?

    And even if you thought, "OK, we can't do the entire album", then why not swap out Gates and do side two instead? Or if Sound Chaser is "too much", then just do To Be Over. What was wrong with that?! Why couldn't we get them to do To Be Over when both Jon and Chris were around?!

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    All of Relayer?
    Yes, as much as I hate to admit it, 45 years ago would be 1974, and yes, they did play the entire album in 1974-1975. They also played both Gates Of Delirium and Sound Chaser in 1976.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yes, as much as I hate to admit it, 45 years ago would be 1974, and yes, they did play the entire album in 1974-1975. They also played both Gates Of Delirium and Sound Chaser in 1976.
    I misread what Henry wrote. I thought he was saying 20 years ago since that was stated.

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OK, then how do you explain the Masterworks tour, where they played both Ritual and Gates Of Delirium? From what I gather, that tour was well received, and they did both those pieces again on the following year's Yessymphonic tour.
    I'm just reporting what Squire said. I first heard "Ritual" off of Yesstory and liked it immediately and probably would have taken to it in concert as well. "Gates of Delirium" is a very different type of song.

    What's the difference between doing Close To The Edge in it's entirety, and diong Relayer in it's entirety?
    Night and day?

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Weren't they already doing the full albums thing before Squire went home? What's the difference between doing Close To The Edge in it's entirety, and diong Relayer in it's entirety?

    And even if you thought, "OK, we can't do the entire album", then why not swap out Gates and do side two instead? Or if Sound Chaser is "too much", then just do To Be Over. What was wrong with that?! Why couldn't we get them to do To Be Over when both Jon and Chris were around?!
    I think Squire, and Anderson, were not as enamoured of the album as Howe is.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •