Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes - UK & Euro tour 2020 - Relayer

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    I wouldn't expect much in the way of response to this... ��
    My Elvis impersonation? lol

The only reason I asked is there were quite a few comments here by folks who love Yes who weren't real happy with what they've heard from the new Live 50th Anniversary album. And a couple of songs which haven't been played in decades were not highly received as well.
    My thought process is while there may excitement over beloved songs finally being played there is a potential for let down hearing it played live by this version of Yes. That the memory of how it sounds either by those who were fortunate to have attended a show when they were released or from listening to the studio album may not live up to the memory or expectation. That's all I'm saying.

I also mentioned we saw Yes live last fall and it was a great show, very tight and well played but it's definitely different than the classic line up.
    And Jon's show to me was a bit more enjoyable, one reason for me is Jon's vocals and his stage presence, plus the band is really playing well. I loved how they played around with the arrangements a bit and breathed new life into songs I've heard a million times. Starship Trooper was a highlight for me, it had become overdone over the years and they always played it longer than it should be. But Jon's show made it sound fresh to me and the arrangement of it at the end is fantastic, better than I've ever heard it.
    Hearing Jon's vocals live and being in the venue watching him and then reflecting back on the Yes show with Jon D, reminded me of how Yes is not what it was, and that's not nostalgia, it's simply to me the songs sound better with Jon A performing them. Add to that Chris' bass playing and stage perfomance and Allen behind the drums, all add to the overall experience, or lack of it.

Again, this is just my POV and I wish Yes and the fans who will still go see them and buy their merchandise many more years of love for the music and players.

As to the gatekeepers of certain bands, unfortunately fans almost behave sometimes like they own the band, and I've seen it with Genesis and a few other bands over the years.
    I certainly hope nothing I've said leads one to believe I fit it that category as well, because as much as I've loved Yes(classic, west, ABWH, etc) I'm far from a diehard fan and have only gone to a couple of shows over the years, including A Evening with Yes music with ABWH).
    I'm just being honest about how I can't excited anymore.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 10-10-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

OK, we've determined that it will suck. Why bother, right ? it's only Relayer after all.
    Another topic for your consideration : might this tour be concurrent with some kind of 1974-76ish archival release ?

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    OK, we've determined that it will suck. Why bother, right ? it's only Relayer after all.
    Another topic for your consideration : might this tour be concurrent with some kind of 1974-76ish archival release ?
    I'm only speaking from my own personal view and where I'm at with Yes.
    I would hope people can share their point of view without creating negativity in this discussion.
    I am only one person and I'm sure the general reception to this tour and the setlist material will be mostly positive.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I'll be going. More in hope than expectation. Relayer is my favourite Yes album.

I think Billy does a remarkable impression of Chris Squire - so that doesn't bother me. In fact, I'd say that he'd be the most likely amongst the band able to pull it off. I have severe reservations about the rest of them though. But, as I said, more in hope than expectation!

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    My Elvis impersonation? lol

The only reason I asked is there were quite a few comments here by folks who love Yes who weren't real happy with what they've heard from the new Live 50th Anniversary album. And a couple of songs which haven't been played in decades were not highly received as well.
    My thought process is while there may excitement over beloved songs finally being played there is a potential for let down hearing it played live by this version of Yes. That the memory of how it sounds either by those who were fortunate to have attended a show when they were released or from listening to the studio album may not live up to the memory or expectation. That's all I'm saying.

I also mentioned we saw Yes live last fall and it was a great show, very tight and well played but it's definitely different than the classic line up.
    And Jon's show to me was a bit more enjoyable, one reason for me is Jon's vocals and his stage presence, plus the band is really playing well. I loved how they played around with the arrangements a bit and breathed new life into songs I've heard a million times. Starship Trooper was a highlight for me, it had become overdone over the years and they always played it longer than it should be. But Jon's show made it sound fresh to me and the arrangement of it at the end is fantastic, better than I've ever heard it.
    Hearing Jon's vocals live and being in the venue watching him and then reflecting back on the Yes show with Jon D, reminded me of how Yes is not what it was, and that's not nostalgia, it's simply to me the songs sound better with Jon A performing them. Add to that Chris' bass playing and stage perfomance and Allen behind the drums, all add to the overall experience, or lack of it.

Again, this is just my POV and I wish Yes and the fans who will still go see them and buy their merchandise many more years of love for the music and players.

As to the gatekeepers of certain bands, unfortunately fans almost behave sometimes like they own the band, and I've seen it with Genesis and a few other bands over the years.
    I certainly hope nothing I've said leads one to believe I fit it that category as well, because as much as I've loved Yes(classic, west, ABWH, etc) I'm far from a diehard fan and have only gone to a couple of shows over the years, including A Evening with Yes music with ABWH).
    I'm just being honest about how I can't excited anymore.
    Elvis impersonations and honesty- I like the combination.

You'll never stop Yes!

Everyone in the band is going to have to practice their nuts off, on their individual parts and as a group. So many potential train wrecks lurk in those songs. And there's pretty much no place where one of them won't be exposed having to display some serious chops. They can slow the tempos, but that'll only help part of the way. I have a feeling they'll simplify the parts where possible, although things like the fast riff in "Sound Chaser" can't really be changed without fundamentally changing the song itself. I have confidence that Billy is up to the challenge. I think Steve will also eventually work out any kinks and settle into it (I'm sure he'll have some off-nights, though.) We're all already guessing that Alan will sit most of Relayer out (except probably "Soon", and maybe "To Be Over"). I'm wondering if Jon D will pick up an electric guitar like Jon A did for QPR.

But yeah -- Geoff Downes...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    You'll never stop Yes!
    For Sean.
    energizer bunny.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Elvis impersonations and honesty- I like the combination.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 10-10-2019 at 01:01 PM.

If they've decided to play the whole thing one can only assume they've had a go at rehearsing Sound Chaser and To Be Over to make sure they can do it? It's strange how they resisted playing these songs for years and yet NOW is the time to do them? I'm not going to worry about it too much, they'll give it their best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Everyone in the band is going to have to practice their nuts off, on their individual parts and as a group. ..
    They've got eight months to learn two songs. Even for musicians with a fraction of their talent I can't imagine it's that tall an order.

I won't miss this one when it lands on North-american shores.
    It seems that they "tested" Gates on the Royal Affair tour to see how audiences and themselves would react to finally decide to move forward with the whole Relayer album. Which by the way (like Trump says), is my favorite yes album.
    Sound chaser will be a challenge like this album is; it is a shame that no Patrick Moraz at this point, hopefully things may change.

So far for me, I hope to see (not saying they are touring but likely will) in 2020: Yes, IQ and possibly the Flower Kings or Transatlantic (?)

Am I the only one who saw this thread's title and thought it was announcing a tour with YES and UK?

5-CD + blu-ray deluxe box set of the complete Ramshackled sessions.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Carroll View Post
    Am I the only one who saw this thread's title and thought it was announcing a tour with YES and UK?
    Do you think Eddie would have played the hard keyboard parts for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Everyone in the band is going to have to practice their nuts off, on their individual parts and as a group. So many potential train wrecks lurk in those songs. And there's pretty much no place where one of them won't be exposed having to display some serious chops. They can slow the tempos, but that'll only help part of the way. I have a feeling they'll simplify the parts where possible, although things like the fast riff in "Sound Chaser" can't really be changed without fundamentally changing the song itself. I have confidence that Billy is up to the challenge. I think Steve will also eventually work out any kinks and settle into it (I'm sure he'll have some off-nights, though.) We're all already guessing that Alan will sit most of Relayer out (except probably "Soon", and maybe "To Be Over"). I'm wondering if Jon D will pick up an electric guitar like Jon A did for QPR.

But yeah -- Geoff Downes...
    Sound Chaser comes to mind when you mention potential train wrecks.. Recently watched QPR specifically Steve's roll.. Hopefully his hands are still nimble enough to pull off that dual bit that he and Chris did together.. If there was ever a Yes song that "breathed" it's this one.. multiple tempo changes throughout the song.. Fair to say Jay will handle the drumming for this one.. I'd think Alan is fully capable of handling To Be Over. Re: your comment of Geoff.. I saw them last summer and Geoff surprised me.. mostly because I'm such a huge fan of Patrick's work on Relayer.. and this topic was discussed at length during that tour so I won't go there other than to say from my experience the night I saw them.. while Gates wasn't note for note like the album.. they did captured the spirit of the song and I enjoyed it.. I'd be willing to bet Geoff is up to the challenge the same as Billy will be.. this could be the tipping point for them...

I just don't get the point of keeping this version of Yes going. If it were any other band who lost these many members people would not consider them the same band as they were famous for.
    It is clear that there are a large number of bands that have lost about as many members from the classic years as Yes have; e.g., Gong, Soft Machine, Caravan, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Tangerine Dream, Camel, Renaissance, Magma. For better or worse, it's what happens to old rock bands.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I doubt it. There are possible archival releases under consideration, but I've not heard a whisper of something like that.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I too have reservations and I thought the ticket prices were quite pricey, but... I’m in for the RAH anyway, it’s a night out with my mates, and I have not missed a Yes tour in such a long time, I guess going back to 1977, I’m not about to start now! I live in hope that’s they may surprise us with a Moraz appearance, but I expect that would have been a major selling point and would have been all over the posters.

to be over, indeed.

I'm just curious, all the people who are excited about this, did you buy the most recent live album and do you like it?
    ahhankyouverymuch(poor Elvis impersonation)
    I've very much enjoyed Yes 50 Live. I know their are many who don't care for it but I am not one of those people.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I just don't get the point of keeping this version of Yes going. If it were any other band who lost these many members people would not consider them the same band as they were famous for.
    It reminds me of these PBS 50's 60's fund drive concerts where they have a bunch of bands, groups from that era and only one real band member is still alive or in the band.
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    It is clear that there are a large number of bands that have lost about as many members from the classic years as Yes have; e.g., Gong, Soft Machine, Caravan, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Tangerine Dream, Camel, Renaissance, Magma. For better or worse, it's what happens to old rock bands.
    I put Kansas and Yes sort of in the same category - a couple guys from the classic era (Howe/White, Ehart/Williams), a couple long-timers (Downes/Sherwood, Ragsdale/Greer) and a couple newer guys (Davison/Schellen, Platt/Rizvi/Brislin). Both bands still work for me and I don't consider either one a tribute band.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I've very much enjoyed Yes 50 Live. I know their are many who don't care for it but I am not one of those people.

Bill
    Yay, a positive comment about the Live album, and who here can argue with Adm. Kirk..lol. Seriously, glad you love it. I bought Topographic Drama and at first liked it, but find I don't listen to it anymore.
    I had hopes for the new one, but after listening to samples and YouTube videos, it just doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I put Kansas and Yes sort of in the same category - a couple guys from the classic era (Howe/White, Ehart/Williams), a couple long-timers (Downes/Sherwood, Ragsdale/Greer) and a couple newer guys (Davison/Schellen, Platt/Rizvi/Brislin). Both bands still work for me and I don't consider either one a tribute band.
    For some reason I feel differently about Kansas. At first I thought Steve Walsh no longer in the band would be it for me, but Ronnie won me over and I enjoy their music quite a bit. Except their live album sounds so shrill to me, I can't listen to it which is a shame because I think it's some great performances.

I guess seeing Jon A live and enjoying the Live at Apollo, plus watching a DVD like House of Blues reminds me so much of why I miss Jon A as part of Yes.

For a lot of people no Jon means they can't enjoy Yes (I don't mean that snarkily which sometimes comes with any No Jon A discussion) and that is fine. If you asked me a couple decades ago would I still enjoy seeing a Yes without Chris or Jon, I'd probably would have said no. However, it evolved the way it did (Chris' passing cannot be helped, Jon isn't the poor victim some like to make him out to be in the reunion discussions) and I've stayed with them. They are a bit up and down at times, but I enjoy seeing them play Yes music and I applaud the fact that they haven't been stagnant with their setlists. I really think of that as a plus. And, I have never been bothered by Jon D's singing or stage mannerisms (he isn't Jon A and I don't expect him to try to be).

I saw ARW three times and I did get that fun Jon vibe each time. If you enjoy him, there really is something about him live. But, I will also say it was a little bit diminished the third time as they played basically the same set list again. I think out of three times (over a fairly long period) there were maybe four songs that shuffled in and out while the rest was the same. Of course it is going to be tight when nothing ever really changes, but that kind of wore off on me as I'm not one to go see the same set repeatedly. When we left, the feeling was that unless something major changed in their setlist, none of us wanted to go again. I liked the re-working of some songs with the Ponty tour (really enjoyed that show) and would be fine going and seeing him solo with his current band. But, that doesn't change the fact I'll try and catch this tour when it hits the U.S. and whether or not it is perfect, I will certainly enjoy seeing Yes play some stuff I haven't seen them do before. Hopefully it works out to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    For a lot of people no Jon means they can't enjoy Yes (I don't mean that snarkily which sometimes comes with any No Jon A discussion) and that is fine. If you asked me a couple decades ago would I still enjoy seeing a Yes without Chris or Jon, I'd probably would have said no. However, it evolved the way it did (Chris' passing cannot be helped, Jon isn't the poor victim some like to make him out to be in the reunion discussions) and I've stayed with them. They are a bit up and down at times, but I enjoy seeing them play Yes music and I applaud the fact that they haven't been stagnant with their setlists. I really think of that as a plus. And, I have never been bothered by Jon D's singing or stage mannerisms (he isn't Jon A and I don't expect him to try to be).

I saw ARW three times and I did get that fun Jon vibe each time. If you enjoy him, there really is something about him live. But, I will also say it was a little bit diminished the third time as they played basically the same set list again. I think out of three times (over a fairly long period) there were maybe four songs that shuffled in and out while the rest was the same. Of course it is going to be tight when nothing ever really changes, but that kind of wore off on me as I'm not one to go see the same set repeatedly. When we left, the feeling was that unless something major changed in their setlist, none of us wanted to go again. I liked the re-working of some songs with the Ponty tour (really enjoyed that show) and would be fine going and seeing him solo with his current band. But, that doesn't change the fact I'll try and catch this tour when it hits the U.S. and whether or not it is perfect, I will certainly enjoy seeing Yes play some stuff I haven't seen them do before. Hopefully it works out to go.
    I never fell into the no Jon A no Yes group. But I will be honest I wasn't a fan of Jon D even when he sang for Glass Hammer. I think he has a nice voice and I would love to hear him doing his own material and anything that is not an emulation of Jon Anderson, and hear his voice the way he wants to sing. I think he's probably a very nice, humble down to earth person who feels extremely blessed to have the job he has, a dream job to sing with a band as well known and respected as Yes.
    I've supported the band since Jon D joined. I bought Heaven and Earth, both live DVD's with Chris, Topographic Drama and spent a couple hundred dollars to see them live in the fall of 2018.
    But I have to say, I enjoyed Benoit David better and Fly From Here to me is heads above Heaven and Earth, and the re-release of FFH is my favorite last Yes purchase(except for the Steve Wilson remix on vinyl boxset).

So I think my wallet has proven I didn't quit Yes after Jon D arrived.
    We are all different and if Yes still works for you and everyone else, I'm happy for you and especially for Yes because I love and respect the band for all the joy it's given me over the years.

I was only sharing how the last live release and the announcement of this tour no longer excites me(personally). It's like being in a relationship that doesn't work anymore but you keep trying, but you reach a point you can't convince yourself anymore and it's time to climb up on Solisbury Hill and be "honest with yourself"

I never fell into the no Jon A no Yes group. But I will be honest I wasn't a fan of Jon D even when he sang for Glass Hammer. I think he has a nice voice and I would love to hear him doing his own material and anything that is not an emulation of Jon Anderson, and hear his voice the way he wants to sing. I think he's probably a very nice, humble down to earth person who feels extremely blessed to have the job he has, a dream job to sing with a band as well known and respected as Yes.
    I've supported the band since Jon D joined. I bought Heaven and Earth, both live DVD's with Chris, Topographic Drama and spent a couple hundred dollars to see them live in the fall of 2018.
    But I have to say, I enjoyed Benoit David better and Fly From Here to me is heads above Heaven and Earth, and the re-release of FFH is my favorite last Yes purchase(except for the Steve Wilson remix on vinyl boxset).

So I think my wallet has proven I didn't quit Yes after Jon D arrived.
    We are all different and if Yes still works for you and everyone else, I'm happy for you and especially for Yes because I love and respect the band for all the joy it's given me over the years.

I was only sharing how the last live release and the announcement of this tour no longer excites me(personally). It's like being in a relationship that doesn't work anymore but you keep trying, but you reach a point you can't convince yourself anymore and it's time to climb up on Solisbury Hill and be "honest with yourself"
    I put the part about not meaning it snarkily in there for a reason. I didn't take you as a no Jon/no Yes poster and didn't claim you hadn't supported them post Anderson. That said, you mentioned multiple times the Jon A impact and that Jon D doesn't do it for you. I do not agree at all with the idea that Jon D is "emulating" Jon A. He is singing in his own voice, though he happens to be singing songs that were written for Jon A so of course he tends to phrase similarly and use the same range. That isn't emulating, that is singing a part. Benoit was more in the emulation mode on-stage than Jon D, IMO. I don't think they are all that close in terms of who can handle Yes material - Jon D is naturally in that range and Benoit had to work at it (eventually seems to have cost him some).

I also mentioned getting the whole Jon Anderson live thing because if it is something that touches you, it is different than anyone else singing those parts. It is for me, anyway. That said, I am at the point where I'd rather hear Yes with Jon D do more interesting setlists than Jon A playing the same stuff over and over - even if they are reworked. Decades ago, I would have guessed that no Chris or Anderson would have meant I'd be done with Yes, but I'd have been wrong. Things change and I still enjoy catching them live.

I almost never buy live DVDs, so I cannot attest to whether or not I'd like the most recent one.