Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021

Thread: Yes - UK & Euro tour 2020 - Relayer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    From the London show, this is a very good performance to my ears

No doubt as good as it gets! Much better than I've heard previously. Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    No doubt as good as it gets! Much better than I've heard previously. Excellent work.
    Yes they did a very good rendition of this at York
    Also the Close To The Edge album pieces were excellent

A straight download of the London show is available here:

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/date...ownloadid=2536

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    A straight download of the London show is available here:
    Thanks, Steve.

I was at the Brum (Birmingham) last night - I pretty much decided a few weeks back to go as, well, these bands aren't getting younger (Well they are in a way by replacing older members with new ones!). I'm very glad I went, as it was a fabulous experience. I'd have got the train as I hate driving, but the strike had reduced frequency of trains and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get back (Normally around 3 an hour to where I live.) Drive wasn't too bad and it finished late(ish) meaning I may have struggled to get a train. Friday is an early finish so I wandered around the record shops and picked up some CDs and an LP (Wolfgang Flur, a jazz group called Flock and Anathema's Alternative 4) before chilling out with a book in a coffee shop.

Huge queue for merchandise, despite the prices (I bought a tour T-shirt) and the venue was pretty much full (2300 seats). Roger Dean came on first and did a slideshow and rambled on a bit about his life and also showed how his artwork starts from Pollack style splatters.

Then on came Yes (Someone on my Facebook feed tried to start a squabble about the lineup, which I quickly slammed down.) and they launched into On the Silent Wings of Freedom. Initially felt a little bit sloppy and the sound was a bit shrill on the high ends, but by the time they got into Yours Is No Disgrace they seemed to settle down and put on a great performance - I totally enjoyed it. Howe seemed to be enjoying himself a lot! No criticism about the playing, it all sounded fine to me. Downes does stand around looking a bit lost during some of the guitar heavy instrumentals! Nice to see two tracks from The Quest. Nice to see nothing from Yes-West, although I do think 90125 is a great album.

The atmosphere was great in the venue. Clearly those who attended accepted this was Yes and there were a number of standing ovations.

Highlight for me was Close to the Edge, as this was my first Yes album back in 1990 when I was a student (While my contemporaries were getting into 'Madchester', rave and grunge, I was discovering 70s prog rock - although I am huge fan of the Stone Roses) and it didn't disappoint me at all.

Very glad I went. I've seen 3 times at this venue, once on Open Your Eyes, then again in 2008 and I think I enjoyed this show the most. It was fuller than 2008.