Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Ears 2020 (March 2020) - Initial lineup info

Sadly I received no email today, nothing in my spam folder either.
    I did get a nice mailing last week asking for donor money.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Mark, the email went out to previous festival attendees (any ticket level) around noon yesterday and included a link to buy tickets ahead of the general onsale date this Friday.

I got the same donor requests last week as well (guessing most of us did!); if you are a donor then you can purchase a pass this year at the same price as last year's pass, but the presale isn't restricted only to donors.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

John,is The Hilton the best located hotel to many/most of the venues.Memory fails me.It's been a few years since my last Big Ears.

I'd rather not pay Hilton prices but there doesn't seem to be that many alternative joints.

If i may be nosey, where did you and the other merry men stay last year?

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Still no notice, but I have a ticket, thanks Ian & John.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Folks Who May Be Going But Are Buying With The General OnSale:

In various places I've misspoken and said tix go onsale this Friday. Not true: it's tomorrow, 10/10.

And now you know
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    John,is The Hilton the best located hotel to many/most of the venues.Memory fails me.It's been a few years since my last Big Ears.

I'd rather not pay Hilton prices but there doesn't seem to be that many alternative joints.

If i may be nosey, where did you and the other merry men stay last year?

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in.
    The most centrally-located hotel is probably Crowne Plaza, especially since a sizable number of acts are at the new Mill + Mine location in that direction. Hilton is a bit further, but also closer to Bijou, Tennessee, and the two churches. The new Hotel Knoxville looks interesting and has a very good rate too...I can't imagine they'd advertise that one if they thought there was any risk it wouldn't be ready in time.

Also something to keep in mind Walt...they now have a free trolley service that runs nonstop between all the venues through the weekend. So that cuts down considerably on walking if you want to use it.

IMHO Hilton is perfectly decent, and at least as of now, the best overall rate. Other hotels may start offering Big Ears rates too, but I don't have any official knowledge of that (just speculation).

^^^
    Many thanks.Food for thought.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Flight and hotel booked.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^^^^^

Same here.Huzzah!!
    Last edited by walt; 10-10-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Ticket sales appear to be brisk.
    I guess I have to settle on a hotel already.
    -- Aristotle

Hilton is booked for 2020. Closer to the French bakery ( yum, Beignet, Bin Yay! )
    I did see that Claudia Quintet will be there. One of my guesses ( in another thread )
    -- Aristotle

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Hilton is booked for 2020. Closer to the French bakery ( yum, Beignet, Bin Yay! )
    I did see that Claudia Quintet will be there. One of my guesses ( in another thread )
    Nice addition. What are they up to now? It's been awhile (I think) since their last disk.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Nice addition. What are they up to now? It's been awhile (I think) since their last disk.
    I don't see anything out there. Steve F might have insider knowledge. Hollenbeck is doing something with Meredith Monk.
    Pretty sure that is not on my schedule. I sampled some Monk a couple of years ago and found it too challenging ( putting it nicely ).
    -- Aristotle

I don't see anything out there. Steve F might have insider knowledge. Hollenbeck is doing something with Meredith Monk.
    Pretty sure that is not on my schedule. I sampled some Monk a couple of years ago and found it too challenging ( putting it nicely ).
    That's strange, she is less challenging than the usual Big Ears material, what did you sample?
    Dolmen Music and Mercy are good starting points, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    That's strange, she is less challenging than the usual Big Ears material, what did you sample?
    It was at Big Ears. She and collaborators were making animal noises etc. Compared to other choices at the time it was easy to get up and go.
    Maybe I would like something else, it depends on what other choices I have at the time.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I walked out on Meredith Monk at Big Ears 2 (?) years ago. All vocal folk scatting is how my untrained ear would describe it. I literally had to get out of the room after 20 minutes, it was doing my head in.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I walked out on Meredith Monk at Big Ears 2 (?) years ago. All vocal folk scatting is how my untrained ear would describe it. I literally had to get out of the room after 20 minutes, it was doing my head in.
    Hmmm, never heard her live, know her only from the albums...
    I guess it is a completely different experience.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I did see that album now there. I'm not really a monk fan, so I avoided. I guess I should at least sample it. Hollenbeck is a great drummer so there may be something for me to latch onto.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Looking over the lineup;trying to decide which to see,which won't make the cut.Tough choices.
    Hopefully,Fennesz won't be on at midnight.If he plays Liminality, and my ears aren't screaming for relief from the volume, i'll be happy
    I want to see at least one act i'm unfamiliar with(other than reading about).
    There are a couple of standing only venues.If these venues have a limited number of seats for a act i want to see, i plan to have my New York City ass in one of those chairs.

Walt, if you are springing for VIP tickets, all of the venues have seats. Not the best seats in the room.
    At The Standard and Mill & Mine they have been moved to the floor near the stage, but to one side in front of the speaker stack.
    -- Aristotle

Walt, if you are springing for VIP tickets, all of the venues have seats. Not the best seats in the room.
    At The Standard and Mill & Mine they have been moved to the floor near the stage, but to one side in front of the speaker stack.
    I did spring for VIP Sonic Assassin ticket.Mostly in the hope that if there are a limited number of chairs,if i get there early enough,i'll get one.Other VIP ticket holders will,obviously,have the same notion.Seats in front of the speaker stack?....later for that noise, Jack.

There's generally enough seats in the VIP area's, I didn't have a problem last year. The Standard was the worst for sight lines, hopefully they've done something about that.
    Ian

Interestingly enough...even for some of the most packed shows, the VIP seats usually had openings.

IMHO the biggest trick is planning ahead for shows that WILL be packed, and being in line accordingly. With the increased attendance, venues like Standard and Bijou are hitting "1 in 1 out" capacity fairly quickly.

I usually use the Big Ears mobile app to gauge attendance, since it shows how many people liked or added a particular show to their personal schedule.

Not the best seats in the room.
    Since they are the only seats in the room, I guess that makes them the best seats in the room by default...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Compared to the other seated venues where the vip seats are front and center. They used to be the 'up near the ceiling partially obstructed view vip seated venues'.
    It is a definite improvement, just not the best.
    But of course YMMV, IMHO
    -- Aristotle