Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock In Opposition Festival end announced.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Rock In Opposition Festival end announced.

From Michel

Annonce

C’est avec beaucoup de regret que je dois vous annoncer aujourd’hui que la 12ème édition du ROCK IN OPPOSITION France Event qui s’est tenue à Bourgoin-Jallieu et Lyon en mai dernier est la dernière du nom.
    En effet, compte tenu du changement de direction de la scène de musique actuelle « Les Abattoirs », et de la mutation complexe des missions de son équipe, il serait très risqué d’envisager une prochaine édition.
    A l’issue de l’arrêt du R.I.O. de Carmaux, nous avions, José Molina (Directeur des Abattoirs) et moi-même fait le maximum pour maintenir cet évènement unique sur le territoire national.
    Aujourd’hui c’est la fin de cette magnifique histoire.
    Et c’est avec beaucoup de peine, à la fois pour les organisateurs, bénévoles, techniciens, artistes et public que nous devons prendre cette décision.

Pour ma part je continue à travailler sur d’autres projets dont, j’espère, j’aurai l’occasion de vous parler très prochainement…

Merci à vous tous pour cette fabuleuse aventure.

Et Vive la MUSIQUE.

Michel Besset

Important release

It is with a great sadness that I must announce today that the 12th edition of the ROCK IN OPPOSITION France Event held in Bourgoin-Jallieu and Lyon last may is the last of the name. Indeed, given the change of direction of the current music scene "Les Abattoirs", and the complex mutation of the missions of his team, it would be very risky to consider a next edition.
    At the end of the R.I.O. from Carmaux, we had, José Molina (Director of the Abattoirs) and I did my utmost to maintain this unique event on the national territory.
    Today is the end of this wonderful story. And it is with great difficulty, both for the organizers, volunteers, technicians, artists and public that we must make this decision.

For my part I continue to work on other projects which, I hope, I will have the opportunity to talk to you very soon ...

Thank you all for this fabulous adventure.

And long live MUSIC.

Michel Besset
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 10-06-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I will seriously miss this wonderful festival, I went to 9 of the and made loads of new friends, discovered wonderful bands, saw great performances and had a generally great time in France. It's been a blast.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Wow, sad news indeed. I am very grateful that it existed at all, and am quite thankful that I opted to attend in 2013. The Carmaux location, and the nearby town of Albi were both wonderful. Such a relaxed atmosphere at the venue itself...it was quite easy to just waltz in and grab a general seat in the theatre and the secondary mostly standing venue there, hosted some great, intimate shows. It also provided me with a wonderful vacation opportunity, as I stretched my trip to RIO 2013 into a 10 holiday, starting in Paris, moving down to the beautiful countryside of Southern France, and ending in Barcelona.

Thank you Michel for all your efforts, and best of luck in future endeavors.

neil

Very sad, I also attended 9 out of the 12 and I will miss everything -
    The people, the music, the atmosphere, even Albi Cathedral...
    The guys here at work knew that every September I am fully booked, some even think the festival was just an excuse and in actuality I am a secret agent
    There are some other nice festivals which have some very interesting stuff here and there (Moers, Zappanale, Mimi etc) but none offer the same family of devoted friends as the RIO festival.
    Hope to see you guys here and there, may be in the VDGG tour?

I made it to four. Saw some amazing things. By missing 8, I missed some amazing things as well.

I’m sorry to hear this. It had a good run and doing this sort of thing is REAL hard work. So, salut.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I will miss it! I attended every one of them at Cap Découverte, except for one, when I was at home recording Knifeworld. (good excuse eh!) I really loved the isolated, unusual surroundings of the place, the bare geology and quiet, calm hills and paths to wander around after enough music and socializing. Always good to see friends from around the world in that relaxed atmosphere, and even have the opportunity to play a couple of times (with P Blegvad, T Plague, and myself.) But really the best part was just being there! Thanks to Michel and the whole team for many memorable events.

BD

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    There are some other nice festivals which have some very interesting stuff here and there (Moers, Zappanale, Mimi etc) but none offer the same family of devoted friends as the RIO festival.
    Hope to see you guys here and there,
    Erez have you ever been to
    Wurzburg chez Charlie ?

^^

I'm afraid this will also hit Charly and his Freakshow Festival a bit, as he often booked bands that where at the RIO Festival
    too to save cost. And he put a lot of Money in it (I think he even sold his live insurance).

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Erez have you ever been to
    Wurzburg chez Charlie ?
    I have been to the first one, and the last 2- it is a great festival, though very different in atmosphere, not sure it can be compared to the RIO

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I have been to the first one, and the last 2- it is a great festival, though very different in atmosphere, not sure it can be compared to the RIO
    Wow, you have been to the famous 2001 Freakshow with Magma, Present, Anekdoten. How was it ?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I missed only one (the year with the "non RIO singer" ARNO).
    This event became a big family with so many people from all over the world countries.... USA, Spain, Germany, Israel, Russia, Scandinavia, Italy, Argentina, Mexico, belgium, netherlands and so on....
    Carmaux was really a nice place devoted to meet people and musicians.
    Michel BESSET worked hard to maintain this event. We had the chance to see fabulous bands : sleepy time Gorilla Museum, Secret chiefs, Magma, Koenjyhyakkey, Guapo, Gong, Mats and morgan band, Present, Univers zero, salamander free exhibit, Offering.....
    Too sad. i will miss it a lot. My RIO related friends also !
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

I only made it to one - the year with the Art Bears - but it was fantastic. A once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I've been as 6 or 7 of them, but I missed much of the later editions. Had a lovely time at all of them, and saw many bands that I'd probably have never seen otherwise (or made the effort to see in stand-alone concert).

I've seen at least 7 or 8 historic concerts (whether 44 1/2 or Once Upon A Time in B, etc...)

Merci Michel!!

Not really held at an opportune time of the year for me (and I believe a few others), I'm glad I always made the trip by car (often renting classy cars, one or two notch of my old Saab) and always enjoyed the slow-route southbound and the not-much-quicker return Northbound.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I only made it to one - the year with the Art Bears - but it was fantastic. A once-in-a-lifetime experience.
    NOT seeing the Art Bears may be the show I regret the most missing. Of course I had no idea it would turn from 'the Art Bears Songbook' into the actual Art Bears....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    NOT seeing the Art Bears may be the show I regret the most missing. Of course I had no idea it would turn from 'the Art Bears Songbook' into the actual Art Bears....
    That year, I was just about the only attendee from the US, because there was a festival in DC at the same time that had many of the major European avant bands.

That year, I was just about the only attendee from the US, because there was a festival in DC at the same time that had many of the major European avant bands.
    Oh. That was the Sonic Circuits year. That's right. We got The Muffins and U Z and Magma and a lot of other goodies.

Fair enough trade!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Banned
    I was there and it was amazing to see Dagmar and the Art Bears Songbook. The highlight for me however was sharing drinks and in-depth, intense conversation with Rational Diet band members and their struggle to survive in Belarus. I hope their then leader, Maxim Velvetov is doing well - a brilliant fellow (also a physicist as I recall).

Very sad to see it ending and I regret having not been able to attend more, it was a wonderful endeavor and I'm grateful for all those whose efforts made it possible.

I was not planning to go that year, but as soon as I heard that Dagmar will be there I bought the plane tickets
    It was one of the best RIOs for me, with the Brotzmanns, my first encounter with Aquaserge, and of course sleepytime gorilla...

Not altogether unexpected, but still a harsh blow. Not only an amazingly great music festival, but also a great excuse to visit the more remote regions of beautiful France for a week or two. I'll try to count my blessings and be thankful that the magic lasted long enough for us to attend the last three times, but it nevertheless seems appropiate that I'm happening to wear black today ...

That's the one I regret missing, couldn't make the logistics work, went to UZ - Miriodor instead.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's the one I regret missing, couldn't make the logistics work, went to UZ - Miriodor instead.
    That wasn't SO bad of a consolation prize, was it?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

That wasn't SO bad of a consolation prize, was it?
    Absolutely, loved that gig, and I think it was the first time I met you, on the downside I never did get to see Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    ...on the downside I never did get to see Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.
    and neither of us ever got to see the Art Bears. Ah well. We do our best!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Too bad, I never made it to the festival and now I never will.

I had tickets for this years edition but due to family circumstances I had to cancel at the last moment.

Very sad news, and I've just realized that I am reading it wearing the UZ t-shirt bought either at RIO or in Wurzburg, can't remember where exactly.

It was always a very expensive trip, so I made it to just two festivals in Carmaux over the years, but both times it was absolutely wonderful. Koenji Hyakkei back in 2009 and Art Zoyd in 2015 are still two of my most cherished concert memories ever.