Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock In Opposition Festival end announced.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Wow, you have been to the famous 2001 Freakshow with Magma, Present, Anekdoten. How was it ?
    I didn't know it was famous, but it was very good
    Magma actually gave a better show the day before in Burg Herzberg (it was my first Magma concert and still after almost 20 years is one of the best concerts I ever saw)
    Not a huge Anekdoten fan so it was just OK, and Present were fantastic (I think some of our footage was featured in the Barbaro dvd bonus, at least I know my recording is on it )

And I never got to go. I'd stuffed away money for two trips - 2014 and 2017 - but had to cancel at the very last minute on both occasions.

And now it's too late. And I seriously don't believe it's only a matter of the RIO fest; it's the whole thing - the entire idea of 'advancing' rock as a point of cultural commitment. Rock music as such is in its deathbed to begin with.

It's still sad, of course. Those festival lineups were amazing for the most part.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Never had a chance to attend. I was seriously considering going next year. Now sadly that won't happen.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

And now it's too late. And I seriously don't believe it's only a matter of the RIO fest; it's the whole thing - the entire idea of 'advancing' rock as a point of cultural commitment. .
    It's really hard to advance rock when your potential audience is taking photos of themselves with tonight's expensive dinner....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Rock is dead....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It's really hard to advance rock when your potential audience is taking photos of themselves with tonight's expensive dinner....
    I suppose you're right at that.

Well, then. It was a good run. Right up until folks got so fed up that a fancy meal somehow ironically became more important to them. A kind of Weimar Republic decadence thing, I guess - and remember what came after that weariness.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Oh, it's already here. It just hasn't cast off all restraint... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Oh, it's already here. It just hasn't cast off all restraint... yet.
    Oh come on, Moe! We're still gonna have some ol' timers play Relayer on half speed!