Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alan Parson's Project

I met Alan in Reno a few years ago and I had the booklet to Tales with me,in fact it was the MFSL version,which blew him away,because he told me that is quite rare and he thought the best sounding version. That made me happy. So, I had recently purchased Freudiana and I asked him about it. I found out a few things: 1. He loves Eric(this was well before his passing) and said he had no hard feelings for him whatsoever. 2. It was supposed to be an APP album and for all intents and purposes it actually is. There were some "issues" that led to Alan's name being completely obliterated from the cover,and he was okay with that because they had done the best they could on the music and he was proud of all their collaborations. This guy is tall. I am 6'2 and I felt like a dwarf next to him,but he was such kind soul and willing to to talk about anything I could come up with at a meet and greet aftershow deal. Not like how Yes does it where they charge $100 either. Alan chatted and signed stuff as a labor of love to his fans,I have oodles of respect for the man. It was shortly after that show that I bought On Air in DVD-A DTS 5.1 Surround Sound...OMG! What a trip that thing is. I also bought the DualDisc of A Valid Path to get that in 5.1. I am not wild about that album,but it's still a great ride and David Gilmour plays killer steel guitar on the best song...about that asteroid that hit Russia in the early 1900's. Tugunska maybe? Anyway,I don't own much of his stuff,only 3 cds and one dvd-a and a concert dvd from Barcelona. His music is always enjoyable though I never warmed up to Eve. I call that his Disco album,1979,what are you gonna do right? Eye In The Sky has about half the players that ended up on Camel's The Single Factor or vice-versa. I also think that Time,from Turn Of A Friendly Card is maybe the most beautiful song ever written-God I love that song. It's like he was channeling Brian Wilson when he sang it. Tales is really an Ambrosia album if you think about it. They didn't write it,but they are all over it. I used to play Don't Answer Me in a band I was in around 1984,what a nice song and real easy to dance to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I met Alan in Reno a few years ago and I had the booklet to Tales with me,in fact it was the MFSL version,which blew him away,because he told me that is quite rare and he thought the best sounding version.
    I had the MFSL version in my hands and also saw the remastered version. What I did not know it at the was the remastered one was also touched up by Alan and also had a few parts added. Went with APs version because, well he did the work and it was about half the price. I have since gotten the deluxe version but I am pissed at myself that I did not get the MFSL version.

Thanks for sharing your story when you spoke to him about Freudiana. It took me 10 years to find that album which I stumbled upon in a record shop in New Zealand. Can you add anything else into the "issues" as to why it was pulled from APP?

Yeah, Freudiana was a bit of a "Holy Grail" for me, too, but well worth it, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wow, I have that MFSL Tales. SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I had the MFSL version in my hands and also saw the remastered version. What I did not know it at the was the remastered one was also touched up by Alan and also had a few parts added. Went with APs version because, well he did the work and it was about half the price. I have since gotten the deluxe version but I am pissed at myself that I did not get the MFSL version.

Thanks for sharing your story when you spoke to him about Freudiana. It took me 10 years to find that album which I stumbled upon in a record shop in New Zealand. Can you add anything else into the "issues" as to why it was pulled from APP?
    No. I didn't ask and he didn't tell and I thought it would be prudent not to press my luck. Anyway,there were more fans behind me in line and I felt I had been given more than a generous amount of his time. Btw,even though he had that lead singer with him,it was Alan that sang Time and he has a great voice.

Btw,even though he had that lead singer with him,it was Alan that sang Time and he has a great voice.
    Wow, didn't know that he sang any leads. Saw on YouTube that the original APP , played 1 concert. Woolfson did not participate but he supposedly was there. I know EW did not want to tour, but the concert was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah, Freudiana was a bit of a "Holy Grail" for me, too, but well worth it, IMO.
    Definitely worth it. You don't hear albums like that every day.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Wow, I have that MFSL Tales. SWEET!
    Thanks for making me feel worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Only album I ever owned was' Eye in the Sky' which I bought on the back of liking `Games People Play`. However didnt particularly like the album so didnt venture any further . Have a gut feeling I should maybe explore a bit more of his catalogue! Where should I start ? Fanx !
    Well, the thing about APP is that it wasn't a "band" per se... there was no real line-up, outside Woolfson's vocals .... and even then, he was not the sole singer.... so there is little continuity between albums and the tracks often lack cohesiveness inside an album (well I followed until Eye In The Sky, but no furter, so I've no idea of 90's and 00's stuff... but I doubt it got better)

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Games People Play was on Turn Of A Friendly Card. If that album (his second or third best ever IMO) was not your cup of joe, then you may well not like APP. Or at least, you may want to stick to one of the 'Best Of' compilations.
    That would sound like the best advice (though TOFC is hardly APP's best album, but it's fairly represerntative of their early stuff), but I'd still try the debut, which does sound quite different and is much more cohesive than the rest of his output

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Tales of Mystery and Imagination and I Robot were my favorites years ago.
    If you add Pyramids, it's all you really need... The first three have a certain loose concept album feeling (maybe the following ones do too, but it's not my cup of tea), though there is no clear storyline, IMHO

I made an XLIIS cassette side compilation with all three albums... It's all I'll ever have anymore
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

don't think anyone mentioned Gaudi..... some good tracks on that. La Sagrada Familia is a great epic. it does have a some soft soapy feel to it, but Woolsfson really shines on his songs.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Loved Woolfson's voice, but his writing style was a tad too "broadway" for my tastes, and for Parson's tastes too from some of what I've read. I've heard Fruediana and didn't care much for it. I Robot was the pinnacle of APP in my opinion, though I like songs from all the albums through Stereotomy. There always seemed to be a wincer on the albums as well, except I Robot.
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Btw,even though he had that lead singer with him,it was Alan that sang Time and he has a great voice.
    Wow. I didn't know he actually sang on anything besides "The Raven."

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, the thing about APP is that it wasn't a "band" per se... there was no real line-up, outside Woolfson's vocals .... and even then, he was not the sole singer.... so there is little continuity between albums and the tracks often lack cohesiveness inside an album (well I followed until Eye In The Sky, but no furter, so I've no idea of 90's and 00's stuff... but I doubt it got better)
    Completely disagree here. Ian Bairnson played guitar on every Project album, and his signature style is evident on all of their work.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

whos down with APP? good tunes overall with some killer vocals and nice production. i like "turn" and "robot" the best myself although eye in the sky is pretty kicking if i do say so myself .

AP does sing backup on Time, but it is Woolfson who provides the lead vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    whos down with APP?
    Aw, you know me!!

Jon Neudorf
    IMO all of his '70s albums are worth owning. I agree that "I Robot" is his best work but there are other jems like "Tales", Pyramid", "Friendly Card", "Try Anything Once" ( a return to form) and "On Air" (recording quality is excellent). There are even some nice moments on "Valid Path" (as has been stated but this one has a real techno vibe) and "Time Machine" (a couple of instrumentals recall earlier times but this is more of a pop album).

Bottom line - Your mileage will vary depending on which era you prefer but you are guarunteed a quality piece of music on any Alan Parson's album.

Regards,
    Jon