Thread: Daryl Hall Sacred Songs

Daryl Hall Sacred Songs

Listening to this album for the first time right now. Amazon had it for 5 bucks, so I decided to finally pull the trigger.

For those who don't know the story, Hall had befriended Fripp in the mid 70's, and in 1977, when he decided to make a solo album, he asked Chuckles to produce it. He said once on MTV that it was listening to Larks Tongues In Aspic that made him want to work with Chuckles, but couldn't remember why. Anyway, so they made this record, which RCA initially refused to release, because thy were afraid the art rock leanings of the music would alienate the Hall And Oates audience. Daryl and Fripp passed tapes of the music around to their journalist and disc jockey friends, and that, along with a letter writing campaign from fans (once they became aware of the unreleased album's existence) finally led to it's release in 1980.

So, this is a pretty good record. I remember the first time I heard Something In 4/4 Time on a rerun of American Bandstand (!) when VH-1 ran the show in the 90's. The song kinda sounds like it could be a H&O song, until it gets to the bridge, where it goes off into this odd time thing with some very obviously Fripp played guitar playing on top, and I thought "Oh yeah, that definitely doesn't sound like an H&O".

Kinda neat to someone who so associated with mainstream music doing something like this. Definitely a thumbs up from me.

Quite an excellent album.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

The other somewhat non-mainstream album he did was the Hall and Oates album War Babies produced by Todd Rundgren, which has a lot of the Wizard/early Utopia Todd sound.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The other somewhat non-mainstream album he did was the Hall and Oates album War Babies produced by Todd Rundgren, which has a lot of the Wizard/early Utopia Todd sound.
    Both albums are great, IMO.

I dig me some Sacred Songs.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    He did a couple of songs from SS in his "Live from Daryl's House" show. Pretty damn good.

Babs and Babs with Ben Folds

NYCNY with Minus the Bear
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

A crazy good album. Hall is brilliant. Fripp is brilliant. Together they made an album that is superb.
    Hall was pushed to some amazing things by Fripp and the other musicians.

A fantastic album; everything those two did in the 70's was really. But this one is special.
    Last edited by yesstiles; 10-05-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Love Sacred Songs. Funny but I haven't played it in a long time. Need to retify that.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I usually listen to this and Exposure back to back like a double album. The third edition of Exposure with all the excised Hall vocals is so much better than the original release IMO.

Like this album a lot!

Especially Babs and Babs, and NYCNY.

Even so, the two songs from Exposure on the end as a bonus top everything on the record, for me at least.

I bought a mint condition used vinyl L.P. of this for 75 cents at a record store near Seattle 12 years ago. The album is great and I had been looking for it for years. It was in the bargain section below the other records wedged in between Laura Brannigan and captain and Tenille records. As torturous as it may be, I always go through those sections because often there's a hidden gem lurking.
    The album also features members of Elton John's band. This was around the Blue Moves era.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    The album also features members of Elton John's band. This was around the Blue Moves era.
    The Blue Moves guys became Hall and Oates's backup for a few years when Elton went on hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I usually listen to this and Exposure back to back like a double album. The third edition of Exposure with all the excised Hall vocals is so much better than the original release IMO.
    I much prefer Hall's vocals.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The Blue Moves guys became Hall and Oates's backup for a few years when Elton went on hiatus.
    Ahhhh... Thanks for that knowledge.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I much prefer Hall's vocals.
    I really like having the choice. It also gives a better sense of what Fripp wanted vs what initially came out.

Intended as part of a trilogy, together with PG 2 and Fripps Exposure
    Great album!

I once met Daryl Hall and told him if he had another Sacred Songs in him, I'd welcome it. He replied "I've still got Robert's number". I love this album and Daryl's contribution to Exposure which I also love. I think Robert and Daryl working together is a lot like the Sylvian/Fripp project. Musically the it's totally different but the spirit of the two is similar.

I haven't listened much to Sylvian/Fripp, but comparing it to Hall/Fripp has me interested.

Sylvian/Fripp is great. Very different, but great.

I prefer the live stuff to the studio stuff. Whereas Sunday All over the World was looking back toward the 80s King Crimson quartet, Sylvian/Fripp has many subtle hints of the Thrak era.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I haven't listened much to Sylvian/Fripp, but comparing it to Hall/Fripp has me interested.
    Damaged is really excelent and David's solo career is simply stellar.

TODAY ...

Singer Daryl Hall is 73
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Just picked up a minty Japanese copy of the CD, thanks to this thread. Of the 'trio' of albums, I only ever bought Peter Gabriel II. Better late than never, I guess.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    NYCNY with Minus the Bear
    First of all, this was stellar. I've seen this a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.
    Secondly, I've seen "Fanboys" and that scene hits *way* too close to home... in a good way.
    Chad