Thread: Rock Legends - birth of prog on AXS

Rock Legends - birth of prog on AXS

Just an FYI for anyone who cares.

AXS TV has as show called Rock Legends. In 22 or so minutes, they take you through the history of some rock band. Not a great show but sometimes its interesting. For prog bands, they've done Genesis, Jethro Tull, and Pink Floyd, they've also had episodes on Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins. Other bands include Chicago, Queen and Allman Bros. This season, they seem to be doing categories rather than specific bands (British Metal, American Rock, Birth of Metal). This week's episode is the birth of prog. In the preview, they had clips of Rush, Yes and Atomic Rooster. The episode airs tonight (10/3/19) at 9 pm EST on AXS and will no doubt be repeated several times in the next week.

The eons are closing
    Thnx!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, thanks.

Banned
    I’m definitely an AXS fan. On Sat. 4pm EDT Classic Albums has “Rush 2112 and Moving Pictures”. And many others on this marathon. Hopefully not too much talk[emoji6]

My cable company charges extra for this channel. I'm always seeing program listings on that station for stuff I'd like to watch, but I ain't paying...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    My cable company charges extra for this channel. I'm always seeing program listings on that station for stuff I'd like to watch, but I ain't paying...
    http://https://flixed.io/watch-axs-tv-without-cable/

AXS is by far the most adult rock friendly, as well as progressive friendly network, hands down. In just the last few days they have aired part 1 of Yes' 35 anniv concert as well Yes Live at the Apollo. It's also common place to see ELP, Genesis, Floyd, Robert Plant, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac etc. So I was happy to see that Rock Legends was to cover prog history. I wasn't very happy with result.

If you've ever seens Legends it takes monologues from various writers and critics and sort of quilts them all together in a way to tell an overall story. The result can be somewhat incohesive at times. This episode seemed to be telling how the history of prog was the history of Rush. Yes did receive a good showing but the total omission of ELP was glaring. Also very odd was the unusually heavy emphasis on Atomic Rooster.

Another odd thing was that although the show loosely moved forward in a chronological order, it allowed for Rush's 1981 release of Moving Pictures, but afterwards ended Yes' story with 1973's Tales From Topographic Oceans. Just odd. Still kudos to AXS TV just for the fact that Topographic Oceans was being discussed on network TV, when have you seen that before?
    Last edited by rojon; 10-06-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Very strange show indeed. They spent an inordinate amount of time on Atomic Rooster. Huh? They are usually only mentioned as a footnote in prog history as the band Carl Palmer left to form ELP. In this documentary, ELP was only mentioned as a footnote to Atomic Rooster because Palmer left them to form ELP.

Wow, Sounds good. Will look for this show on AXS. Thanks to Flowerking for sharing the news.

It was very disappointing IMHO. About 1 second of a photo of King Crimson, no Tull, Genesis, ELP. Too much time on Atomic Rooster and Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    My cable provider doesn't carry it at all, for any fee.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by onward View Post
    It was very disappointing IMHO. About 1 second of a photo of King Crimson, no Tull, Genesis, ELP. Too much time on Atomic Rooster and Rush.
    Completely agree. I didn't know Rush was one of the bands responsible for the birth of prog but if you watched this, you'd think they single handedly invented the genre. And not even a mention of Genesis. An inconsistent and poorly thought threw episode. The only good part was that Tales not only got a discussion but they showed footage from Yes performing a couple parts of it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Completely agree. I didn't know Rush was one of the bands responsible for the birth of prog but if you watched this, you'd think they single handedly invented the genre. And not even a mention of Genesis.
    Which is doubly strange because on another episode about either Genesis or Gabriel, they made the claim that Gabriel single handedly brought about the birth of prog music, but on the show about the birth of prog, no mention.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    ...An inconsistent and poorly thought threw episode. The only good part was that Tales not only got a discussion but they showed footage from Yes performing a couple parts of it.
    Also good to see Roger Dean was given his due, "and he was almost like an extra member of Yes."

Watching it now on DVR and realizing that they really truly fucked this up. I love Rush as much as anyone here but JFC, they spent way too much time on them.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Did you guys really thing it would be good and that you would have been happy with it?

That's why I didn't bother.
    Chad

I think I'll pass on this.

Atomic Rooster? Yeah, I love 'em to death but c'mon, man!!!
    The Prog Corner

Every time I checked on them this weekend, they were running some Top 10 list show.

Quote Originally Posted by onward View Post
    Add my name to the ones "disappointed" by AXS's Rock Legend's Prog show. Too much Rush, not enough KC, nothing about Genesis, Floyd, ELP, Gentle Giant & other artists more central to the Prog genre.
    Last edited by starless and bible black; 10-07-2019 at 05:23 PM.

2 more cents! Studio version of the song over live tracks from the videos??? Whats up with that!

I'm not really a fan of that Rock Legends show in general. I feel like these people are just sitting there reading excerpts from Wikipedia. This one was ridiculous. As has already been mentioned, there was way too much Rush. They're a favorite of mine, but they had zero to do with the birth of prog. And yeah, about 30 seconds of Crimson and no Genesis. FAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I'm not really a fan of that Rock Legends show in general. I feel like these people are just sitting there reading excerpts from Wikipedia. This one was ridiculous. As has already been mentioned, there was way too much Rush. They're a favorite of mine, but they had zero to do with the birth of prog. And yeah, about 30 seconds of Crimson and no Genesis. FAIL!
    Agree, the people doing the talking don't always appear to be all that informed on what they are talking about.

Banned
    It’s sort of picking on the challenged to critique AXS documentaries, since on US tv the rest of the rock documentary content is a freaking joke. Obviously, the BBC channels we don’t get in the US would be superior. Nonetheless, AXS coverage of concerts and other video music is the best, but obviously still mainstream US media. MTV live is a POS by comparison.

Yeah, their concerts are definitely good. Lots of variety.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart