Thread: David Byrne's American Utopia

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

David Byrne's American Utopia

We had the pleasure of seeing David Byrne's penultimate performance of the Broadway-bound production of American Utopia on Saturday in Boston. We were enthralled, a smile on our faces (much like the musicians') throughout most of the show; but there were also tears during and after the somber but upliftingcover of Janelle Monáe's “Hell You Talmbout” (Say His Name); Byrne needed a moment to regroup emotionally after this one. Loved all the TH material; we had seen TH several times in their heyday, including the Remain in Light tour, but this was, visually and musically, very much a companion piece to the Stop making Sense film. Since Spike Lee was seated on the aisle of our row, wonder if he'd consider filming the Broadway production. All the performers were wonderful...bass player Bobby Wooten (a distant relative of Victor) was a particular delight to watch and hear. Choreography was tight and sound was great. If you have the chance to catch the Broadway run, I'd do just that...run and grab some tix before the show's limited run ends. Just phenomenal (and this came of the heels of us seeing KC and Hackett the previous week in Montreal!) Anyone else catch this (the "theatrical" version, notthe earlier concert tour of '18)?

An original cast recording of the show has been released.

http://smarturl.it/americanutopiabway

My copy arrived today. Haven't had a chance to listen to it, but if it's as good as the show I saw a few years ago, then it's a worthwhile purchase.

This one slipped under my radar. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that slippage.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Saw the performance at the Hudson Theater two weeks ago. Had a blast. I'd highly recommend seeing it before it closes on February 16th.

The Original cast album is great!
    I sure hope the show is filmed and released at some point.

^ It’s coming, and it’ll be directed by Spike Lee.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/spike-l...f5oq56ZTBp_hCw
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I’ll have to get the cast recording. Saw the show about a year ago and it was brilliant.

Spike was at the performance we attended in Boston, at the other end of our row. We hoped for this news!

Got this email:

"After a recent record-breaking, sold-out engagement, David Byrne’s American Utopia will once again be burning down one of Broadway’s most intimate houses this fall! This “DAZZLING, JUBILANT AND RAPTUROUS" New York Times Critic’s Pick returns to the intimate Hudson Theatre for twenty weeks only, beginning September 18.

Featuring “altogether astonishing choreography by ANNIE-B PARSON” (The New York Times), with Tony®-nominated ALEX TIMBERS (director of Moulin Rouge!) serving as production consultant, it’s “AN ARTISTICALLY STUNNING TOUR DE FORCE” (Variety) brimming with “TOTAL, BUOYANT JOY” (New York Magazine) — and it must end January 17! Don't miss your chance to see David Byrne, live on stage in this twice-in-a-lifetime Broadway hit."

Will coincide with film release