Thread: Rolling Stone Magazine salutes KC's "Schizoid Man"

Rolling Stone Magazine salutes KC's "Schizoid Man"

Original King Crimson members look back on writing "21st Century Schizoid Man," and contemporaries describe the song's fearsome impact.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...id-man-891600/

How the band’s 1969 masterpiece has evolved onstage during the past half-century — and how it’s inspired everyone from Yes to Kanye West.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...e-west-892305/

Ah, I remember it as though it was yesterday, the Cambrian explosion of "Prog."
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Ah, I remember it as though it was yesterday, the Cambrian explosion of "Prog."

Excellent articles.
    Thank you!!

...although it is a bit bittersweet to read so much about how the band perform it "almost every night." When I saw the band in 1981 they were not playing it and when I saw them in Oakland on the first night (of 2 nights) earlier this September they did not play it. (Of course, by not playing it I did hear at least one other tune that was not done the following night when they did play "Schizoid.")

But one cannot do and hear everything in life.

I just watched that video from 2018. An incredible performance. I love Fripp giving his guitar a little kiss at the end.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    ...although it is a bit bittersweet to read so much about how the band perform it "almost every night." When I saw the band in 1981 they were not playing it and when I saw them in Oakland on the first night (of 2 nights) earlier this September they did not play it. (Of course, by not playing it I did hear at least one other tune that was not done the following night when they did play "Schizoid.")
    I was there the second night and would SO much have traded you "Schizoid Man" for "Cirkus."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Well done articles. Who woulda thunk it would come from RS, after all those years of either slagging or ignoring much of the prog landscape?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I just watched that video from 2018. An incredible performance. I love Fripp giving his guitar a little kiss at the end.
    I had resisted watching it. Until now.

Normally a very wordy fellow, I am...simply...speechless.

(And yeah, seeing Mr. Fripp gently kiss his guitar was very, very cool.)

Thanks for the links.. great reading..

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Well done articles. Who woulda thunk it would come from RS, after all those years of either slagging or ignoring much of the prog landscape?
    It's not the Jann Wenner show anymore. The publication was sold two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I was there the second night and would SO much have traded you "Schizoid Man" for "Cirkus."
    Exactly. Each set list has its charms.
    I was thrilled for that. It was one of the pieces that night that showed how deep this outfit is. Just brilliant.

You know the answer, right? One must go both nights! It is so expensive but I think most of us there understand that we are witnessing something without compare. And then you get a very different experience each night because of the way they mix it up.

When my old college roommate (that invited me out to Oakland for the show) jokingly said after the show that there were still tickets available for Friday night I really wanted to encourage him to do it but I knew he had other plans for us that night. But I very much wanted to go again.

Like most, I would eagerly see them again. Just to her “Islands” again. That was devastatingly beautiful. Just sublime.

^ That was the standout track for me as well when I saw them last week.

The eons are closing
    Like most, I would eagerly see them again. Just to her “Islands” again. That was devastatingly beautiful. Just sublime.
    When Jakko was speaking pre-RCMH show, he spoke of Islands being his fave to sing. My wife was excited as she didnt know Islands and she has become a Jakko fan.

At the end of set 1, after a blistering LTIA IV (my fave that night) they use Islands as a 'coda' in lieu of 'I have a dream... ' section.

Set ends, wife goes "that crappy muzak was Islands?" You should have seen the heads spin in Row BB!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    When Jakko was speaking pre-RCMH show, he spoke of Islands being his fave to sing. My wife was excited as she didnt know Islands and she has become a Jakko fan.

At the end of set 1, after a blistering LTIA IV (my fave that night) they use Islands as a 'coda' in lieu of 'I have a dream... ' section.

Set ends, wife goes "that crappy muzak was Islands?" You should have seen the heads spin in Row BB!
    Hilarious.
    Heresy. But hilarious.

Thanks for the links. Many years ago, I was a subscriber to RS. Good to see that they found their way again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post

But one cannot do and hear everything in life.
    You could have caught the 21st Century Schizoid Band[emoji6]

wow, 50 years ago In The Court Of The Crimson King was released!