Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters interview with Rolling Stone

Roger Waters interview with Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ocRy2ilHIK_HSU
    I'm sure this will stir up the fanbase when he talks about sitting with David and calling a truce..

A few interesting bits in there, thanks for pointing it out. Somehow the social commentary within Floyd music didn't distract me so much back in the 70's - at the time most young bands wanted to echo each other's statements about war and money and politics, and Floyd was no exception. But now when I see a Waters gig or hear him interviewed, he just seems so angry, it tends to distract me from the music a bit.

The bit about Waters proposing a "peace plan" which was apparently not embraced by Gilmour - I assume peace plan means a new business arrangement. Otherwise he'd just say they are more friendly these days.

For those hoping RW would tone down his political side, I have bad news for you...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I'd sure love for these guys to make up - if for no other reason than for each other. Being that old and that pissed seems out of whack with what they accomplished together. I know Waters is all about "togetherness", what with his view of being a comrade and all that... If its just indifference, that's one thing, but to hang on to animosity for decades is not good for anyone's health.

Seems like they got a whole lotta nuthin to be mad with each other about. But who am I? Just a fan of their music. Being able to let go of the past is a good skill to have - especially when you are older. Its something you can be good at with very little effort, seems to me. If you've got over 100 million in the bank, Seems like animosity is something you can do without. Most of us can do without it.

There's no real trust between the two on a fundamental level. It's permanently broken and them appearing on each other's concerts, or the like, doesn't change that.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

He really is Captain Happy.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ocRy2ilHIK_HSU
    I'm sure this will stir up the fanbase when he talks about sitting with David and calling a truce..
    Man, is that fucked up page filled with ads and bullshit/cookies...

That page takes ages to load up, so I won't accept any garbage from RS

As for RW wanting to make peace with DG (he's done so with NM ages ago), I think he should abandon...
    Obviously DG doesn't want (for maybe more valid reasons other than just remaining bitterness), he should accept it as such, cos it's going to look like next time, he'll put a knee on the ground or crawl.
    I mean it was already plainly visible at Live 8: Roger was having fun (and overplaying his demonstration of happiness) and David was acting like a frowning curmudgeon; and nothing's ever hinted this state of things might've changed since.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    For those hoping RW would tone down his political side, I have bad news for you...
    actually I wouldn't want him to.

The only time I ever disagreed with his views is when he approved the refusal of court hunting in the UK.
    Certainly keeping this horrible aristocratic privilege is not a would-be communist stance.

Though I totally understand that Waters' sometimes extreme political stances might be a discomfort (embarrassment) to others to "reunite" forces with him
    Last edited by Trane; 10-01-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I had no problems loading the RS page or being overwhelmed with pop up ads, etc.

Banned
    It really is a shame that with their unique shared experience and history that they can't seemingly manage to be friends and even create something new out of it. It would be a win-win-win and sell-out world tour (not that they need it financially), but obviously there are deep resentments and who-knows-what that's not visible to us punters.

As far as Roger playing Pigs with Trump's giant image being projected, agree or disagree, well that is what Rock (vs. Pop) is about: rebelling against the established order and speaking your mind. Remember the 60's? Yes he is angry, and if you are not regardless of your political ideology or lack thereof, you're simply not paying attention.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 10-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Great article. I'm ok with a pissed off Waters who's still thinking forward and creating art. I'll take it over the last couple of Gilmour efforts (Rattle That Lock, Endless River).

I loved how Waters had nothing but nice things to say about Nick Mason and his appearance with Saucerful then the interviewer has to kill the mood with the follow up question.

Good interview but nothing really new from him. I wish people would really stop wishing and complaining about Gilmour and Waters not kissing and making up! Seriously...Gilmour said it best when he said getting back together with him would be like going to bed with your ex wife...Not for nothing, but Waters was and maybe still is to some degree toxic and the one that shit in the punch bowl. People grow, grow apart and relationships end...I'm not a huge fan of his, but Waters is doing far more interesting work than Gilmour anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    ...Gilmour said it best when he said getting back together with him would be like going to bed with your ex wife...
    That has certainly happened and even precipitated reunification. At least in my experience it worked with ex girlfriends ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    That has certainly happened and even precipitated reunification. At least in my experience it worked with ex girlfriends ;-)
    Haha, well I'm assuming he's referring to an ex like mine!

Good interview but nothing really new from him. I wish people would really stop wishing and complaining about Gilmour and Waters not kissing and making up! Seriously...Gilmour said it best when he said getting back together with him would be like going to bed with your ex wife...Not for nothing, but Waters was and maybe still is to some degree toxic and the one that shit in the punch bowl. People grow, grow apart and relationships end...I'm not a huge fan of his, but Waters is doing far more interesting work than Gilmour anyway.
    I'm sure folks have seen this interview.. around the 8:45 mark Roger comments on the question of whether he and Dave are friends..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlWQ2keQW1U&t=21s

I'll choose to happy if someone is doing what makes them happy. All within reason, of course. For those who cannot get over the Roger-David rift (as I couldn't, for years), I should point out that we're only getting Roger's version of events in this article. And the only reason why we're getting this bit of information is that interviewers refuse to be original & try to think of unique questions to ask.

As for Roger's music production, we split may years ago. It's interesting that, way back when, when he was being interviewed about THE incident in Montreal he would always put down the arena-concerts as being too big for music & that in such venues the artist lost the connection with the audience & vice versa. He said that arenas were better suited for political rallies & religious events. He's evolved; now he shuns the smaller venues, preferring exploding spectacles. i'd love to read or see the interview where this metamorphosis is pointed out to Roger.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Waters can be as political as he wants... but to hear him constantly rail against corporations, capitalism and big money when he's made a fortune selling a product is well past insufferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    that can be sweet, really

Haha, well I'm assuming he's referring to an ex like mine!
    just use the backdoor without warning, so she'll have good reasons to hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Waters can be as political as he wants... but to hear him constantly rail against corporations, capitalism and big money when he's made a fortune selling a product is well past insufferable.
    I'm begging for more of that, but if he rants about Global Warming, he won't be able to tour the planet anymore
    Though I totally understand that Waters' sometimes extreme political stances might be a discomfort (embarrassment) to others to "reunite" forces with him.

Roger is at a different stage in his fortune-building and career than Dave is as well. Gilmour & Floyd sold and toured during the late-80's & 90's making zillions with sub-par material, while Waters was struggling wuth (IMHO) superior material, but not having the Floyd tag to get it to the masses. So Waters is only now (00's & 10's) making big bucks , whereas David is more content on taking it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I'm sure folks have seen this interview.. around the 8:45 mark Roger comments on the question of whether he and Dave are friends..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlWQ2keQW1U&t=21s

love the hilarious shot he's delivering to the Aussie on that Kiwi TV show, about him becoming a criminal and being sent to Australia (around 3:30) . I'm sure all new-zeeeeeelanders watching the' show must've' really cracked up laughing about their encumbering neighbour, a bit like Canada is feeling towards the USA.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I have nothing but respect for Roger Waters' genius and willingness to speak his mind. If he can change one mind, I'm all for it, because that one mind could change the world, which could really use some change.

Also, there's a difference between being anti-capitalist and being against unfettered capitalism, which is the real problem.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My wife got tickets to see the movie Us+Them so we went last night.. I think the fact he was playing in Amsterdam vs the venue we saw him in on that tour (Greensboro N.C.) to my memory he played down the Trump stuff except during Pigs in the movie vs when we saw the tour.. again it's been a couple of years since we saw him but on that night it was very much "in your face" throughout the whole show.. This isn't a movie review per seh.. but different set list choice and a lot of editing to present it in a movie format vs. straight concert experience.. He is a very angry man for sure.. by contrast Gilmour is mellowing quite nicely.. I believe the last interview I saw with Gilmour he mentioned how he and Roger simply saw the world thru different eyes.. "I don't see things as bleak as Roger does" was the quote that sticks in my head..

This world could use a bit more anger and a bit less indifference.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    ^^^
    amen!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    This world could use a bit more anger and a bit less indifference.
    An album for you to drift asleep to...

I too saw "Us and Them" last night. A great concert film that really captured the spectacle of his last tour show excellently.

From watching the film, I didn't see Roger as an angry person. There was a short video after the film called "A Fleeting Glimpse" that showed backstage and soundcheck footage. He really seemed happy around all of the band members and the audience.

What I see is a man who wears his beliefs on his sleeves and is unafraid to use his art (music and the films shown on the screen) as a way to get his point across. Is he angry about the causes he is championing, absolutely. But he seems far less angry overall than he was back in the day.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    What I see is a man who wears his beliefs on his sleeves and is unafraid to use his art (music and the films shown on the screen) as a way to get his point across. Is he angry about the causes he is championing, absolutely. But he seems far less angry overall than he was back in the day.
    +1 Exactly how I see it. He seems to be generally pleasant, but very passionate in his beliefs. Give him credit; at least he thinks on his own..

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Oh c'mon, he's been making the same anti-capitalism statement for three decades now while raking it in. Has he really done anything in the last two decades to warrant such a free pass? Dude's a hypocrite.