Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roger Waters interview with Rolling Stone

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I meant it is real as an economic concept. Do some Googling, you'll find advocates. Or turn on Fox News or CNBC. They may not call it that explicitly, but it's easy enough to deduce from their arguments and advocacy, that that's what they're about.
    Neither of you will give me a name but tell me to do some Googling. I gave you a name, Nordquist, who was pretty well known in the mid 1990s. But this is what I'm talking about, from Wiki. Here it refers to the late 18th century and early 19th century:

"To the vast majority of American classical liberals, however, laissez-faire did not mean "no government intervention" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    According the Business Insider Roger Waters is worth of 175 million and Gilmour 115 million.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rich...18-5?r=US&IR=T
    Many of these lists are suspect. They tout worth, but that's not the same as disposable cash.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Neither of you will give me a name but tell me to do some Googling. I gave you a name, Nordquist, who was pretty well known in the mid 1990s. But this is what I'm talking about, from Wiki. Here it refers to the late 18th century and early 19th century:

"To the vast majority of American classical liberals, however, laissez-faire did not mean "no government intervention" at all.
    Keep trying. I really don't care if you believe me or not. I am not going down that rat hole. You'll have to find someone else. We've been too close already and there's enough hypersensitivity around here to kill the thread.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

I haven't given names because of the nature of the discussion (read: political) and not wanting to take the time. Perhaps you've never heard the phrase "make government so small that you can drown it in a bathtub"? Sounds like Laissez-Faire Capitalism to me.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Many of these lists are suspect. They tout worth, but that's not the same as disposable cash.
    Yes of course all of these kind of lists are best taken with a grain of salt. On the other hand I don't have any real reason to doubt these figures after all the millions and millions of albums and successful tours that both Gilmour and Waters have undertaken.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I haven't given names because of the nature of the discussion (read: political) and not wanting to take the time. Perhaps you've never heard the phrase "make government so small that you can drown it in a bathtub"? Sounds like Laissez-Faire Capitalism to me.
    Yes, that was Norquist, who I mentioned. It was a colorful phrase, but it is almost impossible to find a politician who will run on that. Almost all libertarians think there is a need to have some government regulation. What they are clearly opposed to are regulations like those demanding a person spend 1,500 in school before he or she can legally practice the art of hair styling.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Waters can be as political as he wants... but to hear him constantly rail against corporations, capitalism and big money when he's made a fortune selling a product is well past insufferable.
    Yep. The old Boleshevik "only pay attention to what I am saying, do not pay any attention to what I am doing" bit.

Roger has absolutely nothing to be unhappy, bitter, or enraged about unless we are discussing his stupid behavior in the late 70s which resulted in him playing to 2,000 seaters since 1983 (exaggerating for effect here, folks). LOL
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    which resulted in him playing to 2,000 seaters since 1983 (exaggerating for effect here, folks). LOL
    Looks like he has done a bit better this year. For the first 63 concerts, 734,000 tickets were sold at an average of $120. So on average, over 11,000 people per show.

Looks like he has done a bit better this year. For the first 63 concerts, 734,000 tickets were sold at an average of $120. So on average, over 11,000 people per show.
    I was mostly refering to the period after leaving Floyd. Those are great numbers for sure. Here's to hoping he donates a very generous portion of his personal proceeds from this tour to worthwhile causes. He gets a fair check from Floyd stuff so I'd love to see him put his money where his mouth often is to set an inspirational example for the rest of us.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Yes of course all of these kind of lists are best taken with a grain of salt. On the other hand I don't have any real reason to doubt these figures after all the millions and millions of albums and successful tours that both Gilmour and Waters have undertaken.
    Better buy a salt mine, then

Roger has absolutely nothing to be unhappy, bitter, or enraged about unless we are discussing his stupid behavior in the late 70s which resulted in him playing to 2,000 seaters since 1983 (exaggerating for effect here, folks). LOL
    Well spitting on a unruly fan was indeed stupid, but I think jhe made up for that since.

His other "antics" date from 82 to 85

Yup, I'm not aware of him playong to less than hockey arenas since Pro & Cons, whether they were filled to the brim (it was so for the P&C tour) or not

But yeah, Glimour's Floyd were touring stadiums

I was mostly refering to the period after leaving Floyd. Those are great numbers for sure. Here's to hoping he donates a very generous portion of his personal proceeds from this tour to worthwhile causes. He gets a fair check from Floyd stuff so I'd love to see him put his money where his mouth often is to set an inspirational example for the rest of us.
    Fair point, after all, Gilmour just did by selling his strat and giving it to the Climate fight.

Roger could sell his inflatable pig (to an hilarious Hillary, for ex) and donate the money.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Gilmour & Floyd sold and toured during the late-80's & 90's making zillions with sub-par material, while Waters was struggling wuth (IMHO) superior material
    how skewed a fanboy can you be?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    how lucid a fan can you be?
    The skewing is on your part, cos you left out the part of my sentence that Waters didn't have the Floyd name to market his music.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

With respect, capitalism in the sense that Waters is upset with it has to do more with companie prioritizing profits over the welfare of the planet or the people living on the planet more than artists making money from selling records and concert tickets.

edit: ack, something got deleted that I was replying to that makes my response seem out of context. I am replying to the idea that Waters is a hypocrite for making money while bemoaning capitalism. I forget who posted it now. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post

edit: ack, something got deleted that I was replying to that makes my response seem out of context. I am replying to the idea that Waters is a hypocrite for making money while bemoaning capitalism. I forget who posted it now. Apologies.
    Are sure?

Cos, I mean a subject about good-ol'Rog can only flirt constantly with the forum-taboo subject of politics.

We were careful not to overdo things ansd degrading the mood, so the mods were certainly reading up, but they didn't intervene (to my knowledge anyways)