Thread: Marillion with Friends from the Orchestra (new album)

Marillion with Friends from the Orchestra (new album)

Marillion just announced a kinda surprise new album (while they continue work on their actual new album), rerecording some classics with a string quartet, flute, and french horn.

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/intactCD19.htm

If this is as cleverly rearranged and reworked as the Less Is More album, count me in.
    If it's too close to the original arrangements with just a bit of strings thrown in, I might be disappointed.
    I'm not sure we can judge the whole album from Estonia. It stays rather close to the original version but the string arrangement is tasteful without being overwhelming. Knowing the band I expect a few bolder reinterpretations on the album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I already ordered it. They’re supposed to start shipping these next week!

Zero interest in this from my side. Also Less is More is one of the few (regular) CDs that is missing in my collection.
    New studio material? Then I'm in, anytime!

Less Is More had quite nice arrangements so I am interested in this one also.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think Less Is More is great, as is the Cadogan Hall show from that tour.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Live From Cadogan I like, Less Is More not so much. I should really pull Less Is More off the shelf to see if any thing has changed though as it has easily been more than a year since I pulled it out.

I'm going to like this one more based on the track listing alone. Wish they would play this show in the US although I completely understand why it's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm lukewarm on Less Is More, but I absolutely LOVE Cadogan Hall.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm lukewarm on Less Is More, but I absolutely LOVE Cadogan Hall.
    I'm surprised by this statement since the arrangements are the same. Is it the audience that changes things for you?

This showed up in the mailbox today. (Deluxe Afraid of Sunlight showed up yesterday) Those are going to have to wait though. Still on a Flying Colors kick with some Collins-Genesis sprinkled in for some reason.

Cover on both Marillions look pretty cool and I'm going to need a frame for the litho and put it with the others.

This album is quite enjoyable. The new arrangements are less radical than on Less Is More, the versions never move too far from the originals but that's obviously not the point here. There seems to be a deliberate attempt not to make the strings too pompous or overwhelming, even if that implies leaving them in the back of the mix on occasion. The standout for me is Beyond You where the band fully realize what they were aiming for on the original version.

Off to see the live show in Cardiff on 16th. Can't wait.

I'm kind of over Marillion so will be passing on this.
    I bought the live at RAH BluRay and liked it, and I'm so happy for the band to have reached such a milestone in their career.
    We listened to Holidays in Eden the other night and really enjoyed it.
    I love the early Hogarth years, Seasons End, Holidays in Eden and Afraid of Sunlight.
    And for visuals, there's a couple of those weekend Fans shows on DVD I think capture the spirit, passion and energy of Marillion more than the later ones.

What I like about Marillion was their vision to take control of their music and run the business aka the Beatles and Apple, but Marillion made it work. I remember they were on the forefront of having fans invest in their music by paying upfront. Their business model for successful management of their product I believe was the template for other musicians to follow.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

This album is flat out amazing. I love how they arranged this. I wish they would take this on the road in the US but that is pretty much a non-starter.

new interview with Mark Kelly.

'Script/early days documentary included with the Remaster

"How about re-recording the old Fish songs?"
    "How about doing a convention with Fish?"
    "Do you like Rush?"

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "How about re-recording the old Fish songs?"
    "How about doing a convention with Fish?"
    "Do you like Rush?"

That WAS a tough slog wasn't it?

But I did get psyched for another unreleased 1982 live gig. And the documentary should be really cool too. Won't have long to wait either. January is coming up really fast.