Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CD storage (physical)

CD storage (physical)

My CD collection is currently stored in 4 of these wall-mounted shelves, which are now full.

https://www.amazon.com/Prepac-Double...1&s=aht&sr=1-4

I'm running out of wall space so I'm considering moving to something bigger that sits on the floor. I've googled for suggestions, but haven't been wowed by anything. Any good experiences or suggestions?

Design something yourself and find a local joiner to build it for you. I was never able to find anything 'off the shelf ' that was remotely adequate.

I use a bunch of Ikea "Benno" units. Inexpensive, and expandable by adding more of them, although I'm not sure if they still make them (EDIT: They're apparently now called "Gnedby"). About six feet tall, eight inches wide, the bottoms sit on the floor, and the tops are anchored to a horizontal steel tube, which in turn is fastened to the door and window frames with home-made brackets. Currently I have twelve of them, and they're not full. There's room for six or eight more in my bedroom, which is where I keep my CDs.

If your going to do this, do it right!

http://www.can-am.ca/

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    My CD collection is currently stored in 4 of these wall-mounted shelves, which are now full.

https://www.amazon.com/Prepac-Double...1&s=aht&sr=1-4

I'm running out of wall space so I'm considering moving to something bigger that sits on the floor. I've googled for suggestions, but haven't been wowed by anything. Any good experiences or suggestions?
    Consider this storage unit from Gothic Furniture. I have one at my home and it sits on the floor & provides a lot of space for both CDs and DVDs. I also have a bookshelf and LP storage unit from Gothic and they are both great. I can recommend them very highly.
    https://www.gothiccabinetcraft.com/l...r-6-x-23-x-75/

And they have a smaller one available as well.
    https://www.gothiccabinetcraft.com/l...r-6-x-23-x-48/

Good Luck!

Image1569839764.877164.jpg

I’ve built my own. To me it’s the only way to go if you want to maximize your space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree. Build them yourself. Many of my CDs are in Ikea shelves (from 2002) and a lot are in boxes (rip 'em and store 'em has pretty much been what I've done lately). However I built my own shelves in a walk in closet for my DVD (and later Blu-ray) collection and it's definitely the best way to most efficiently use the space you have. My CD cabinets actually make a nice room divider so that really worked out (although there's still more vertical space that could have been used).

Yeah, if you have a den or computer room, build your own wall shelves. That's what I did.

I like to see the spines. That's imperative to finding stuff.

Eight-foot cedar fence boards, ripped in half lengthwise. L-brackets. 7" uprights. Easiest thing in the world, any size you need, endlessly expandable, and cheap.
    84351DC6-B06B-4835-A6CC-9DB283C33B87.jpg
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-31-2019 at 11:11 PM.

I have all of mine on some shelves in the (semi-finished) basement. These are just some cheap shelves I bought at Home Depot that require attaching slotted metal strips to the wall, then hanging metal supports in the slots and placing a shelf on the metal support. Not the greatest because the shelves are spaced out from the wall by the metal strips. If I push the CDs back against the wall some of them (near the metal strips) stick out from all the others.

I don't really have much need to access the actual CDs once they're ripped and what I've found is that when I clean the basement a couple times a year the CDs have gathered quite a bit of dust. Cleaning them is kind of a pain. I was thinking that ideally I'd have shelves with glass doors which would cut down on the cleaning involved.

Now we've been talking about moving. That made me think I'd be better off with some sort of stackable crates. I did a brief search a few months ago, but didn't see anything that seemed both rugged and cost-effective.
    <sig out of order>

I built them myself, using Knape & Vogt adjustable shelf hardware from Do it Best/Crafty Beaver, and then buying the wood from Menards. Looks great, costs little; and easy to install.

IMG_20141014_205203.jpg
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    If your going to do this, do it right!

http://www.can-am.ca/
    Absolutely! I went this route many years ago...built my own rack (I had a machining and fab company) to incorporate a 3 & 2 drawer unit and all my gear. I was foolish enough to believe that the drawers, with a total capacity of 1300 CD's, would be suffice for the duration of acquiring a collection.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

i got rid of all the cases, booklets, etc... put all my discs into CD books (each holding 400 cd's)
    in that long process i also got rid of 25% of my collection.

I have used Boltz for years. If someone could tell me how to do so I would post a picture.

You could also move to vinyl sleeves. When we renovated four years ago, I moved them into boxes I found that hold up to 360 cds. We added extra shelves to some ikea units so I have room for 36 boxes, plus three larger units for box sets. The whole thing fits in my relatively small office, giving me capacity for nearly 11,000 cds in the boxes (which are fully alphabetized...now that was a job!) plus all the box sets.

Our objective, since I don’t care if people see my collection or not (not judging; if that’s important to you, then my solution isn’t a good one for you), was to have enough capacity to do for the rest of my life (I’m 63), and I’ve got that and more...and all in my office, which is great as everything is easily at hand when I am writing.

Just an alternative thought.
    Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I've been using clear plastic totes with locking tops that I buy at Walmart since I ran out of shelf space. Each one holds 60 CDs so they're not too heavy. Just the right depth to stack CDs on end so I can see the titles. I can stash them in the closet rather than buying more racks to clutter up the house.

I have two of these units that are double sided with glass on both sides. Glass came in real handy when I had rugrats running around> I was able to lock them out. Anyway, Each hold about 370 disks and I can cram in about 50 more sitting sideways on the shelves until I clear some out. So that accounts for 840 single disks. HTH

IMG_6549.jpg

I don't know why the pic is on its side. Its not on my computer.

Box sets and DVD are on a homemade wall shelf in another room.
    Last edited by Tangram; 10-01-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I don't know why the pic is on its side. Its not on my computer.
    I've been having that exact problem trying to post in this thread. All my photos are sideways for some reason, and nothing I try fixes them.
    Last edited by Progatron; 10-01-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks for all the feedback! I don't care much about showing it off, but I do want it to be well organized. I'm also not a handyman at all, so I wouldn't build my own. I'm looking at those Gothic Furniture cabinets, especially this one: https://www.gothiccabinetcraft.com/l...r-6-x-33-x-77/

And the can-am ones look very convenient, although expensive.

Oh. I like that Gothic Cabinet you linked there. I’d probably need two.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I agree with the recommendation about Boltz. They aren't cheap but they are very sturdy and expandable.
    https://boltz.com/entertainment-furn...d-storage.html

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, if you have a den or computer room, build your own wall shelves. That's what I did.
    2 views of the wall shelf. Part of it, anyway.

20191001_195834_resized.jpg

20191001_200251_1569974711934_resized.jpg

Click on thumbnails.

I have four Boltz racks and am getting to a dire point where I need another one. They are not cheap but very sturdy and look really good.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My storage method cost me nothing. I brought home dozens of empty printer paper boxes (about 12" by 18" with tops) from work. I stacked four empty boxes, then filled the fifth one with two rows of CD's (holds about 80-85 CD's). They're the perfect height to stand there and view the spines, and the box tops keep out dust and bugs. I have pretty much filled up a bedroom with them (about 3,000 CD's) around the walls, two rows deep. I did move several years ago, and rented a small truck to move them and my stereo stuff. I wasn't going to let the movers touch THAT property.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I use a bunch of Ikea "Benno" units. Inexpensive, and expandable by adding more of them, although I'm not sure if they still make them (EDIT: They're apparently now called "Gnedby"). About six feet tall, eight inches wide, the bottoms sit on the floor, and the tops are anchored to a horizontal steel tube, which in turn is fastened to the door and window frames with home-made brackets. Currently I have twelve of them, and they're not full. There's room for six or eight more in my bedroom, which is where I keep my CDs.
    I got those as well. Only problem the 'Benno' units I have, have a color not available with 'Gnedby', so I bought another color. When I returned home, I discovered I had the wrong color and the units where black. In the end it looked better than the color I had wanted to buy, when I mixed the units.