Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CD storage (physical)

Look for used Boltz or the extender units from the company to save money.

I have removed all my CDs from their plastic cases, along with all the artwork and booklet, and put them in plastic bags of the correct size. And put them all in file boxes with sliding drawers.

My collection of 1000's of CDs, now takes up a fraction of its previous space.

So much better. I'll never have large physical storage again.

The only drawback is, I am less likely to come across something, serendipitously, that I may decide to listen to.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've been having that exact problem trying to post in this thread. All my photos are sideways for some reason, and nothing I try fixes them.
    This happens to me in another forum- I've found if you crop the pic before uploading, even just a tiny bit, it works. Try that.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I have removed all my CDs from their plastic cases, along with all the artwork and booklet, and put them in plastic bags of the correct size. And put them all in file boxes with sliding drawers.

My collection of 1000's of CDs, now takes up a fraction of its previous space.

So much better. I'll never have large physical storage again.

The only drawback is, I am less likely to come across something, serendipitously, that I may decide to listen to.
    Yeah but what's the point of gluttony if you don't show it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Yeah but what's the point of gluttony if you don't show it off?
    Yes, I like it people enter my living-room and look surprised at my CD-collection.

P1000021.jpg

It has grown a bit, since this picture was taken.

I think we are all reaching the point in which it is getting too hard and frustrating to find what to do with such a large CD collection (that most of us have over 2000 or more).

Mine is about 2000+: I relocated back to Canada from Texas in 2017 and had to leave about half of it in a storage space and now, I might as well leave it for the storage wars bidders. It is getting to be a huge burden and not sure if it is worth the monthly rent that keeps building and draining my savings too.

I read this article a few weeks ago about the CD clutter and how it becomes a huge burden for all of us music and CD lovers. Let's face it, CDs are becoming obsolete and in the near future will face the same fate as did with laser discs, audio cassettes and VHS. You'll find this article helpful on how to cope with a reality that is creeping upon us and is unavoidable:

https://montrealgazette.com/entertai...but-liberating

Cheers CD lovers!
    Last edited by Rajaz; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:36 AM. Reason: composition

Getting rid of my CD's?
    Over my dead body.
    No difference with vinyl in my opinion. I value both in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Getting rid of my CD's?
    Over my dead body.
    No difference with vinyl in my opinion. I value both in the same way.
    Have you ever asked or talked about what will your closest family members do with your CD collection after you die?
    Mine said they will donate them to the local library or sell them to a store like Half price books (in America not Holland) that sells used CDs and Books.
    You might want to ask them...

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    ...in the near future will face the same fate as did with laser discs, audio cassettes and VHS.
    And vinyl?

I'm really not ready to give up my CDs. In many ways I like the idea of getting rid of the cases. At least in terms of taking up much less space and being able to store in nice, neat boxes. But I really dislike the idea of not being able to easily browse the collection. Which probably makes no rational sense since I rip everything to my computer and browse via iTunes 99.9% of the time. Browsing iTunes also has it's own limitations. It's like browsing an encyclopedia. You don't really see everything in the encyclopedia by flipping through a few pages.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Have you ever asked or talked about what will your closest family members do with your CD collection after you die?
    Mine said they will donate them to the local library or sell them to a store like Half price books (in America not Holland) that sells used CDs and Books.
    You might want to ask them...
    If my dad dies, I suppose I leave his CD's to a friend of his, who likes the same music my dad does. If I die, well, why should I worry about that? No family-members I have any contact with, will be alive when that happens.

Yes, I like it people enter my living-room and look surprised at my CD-collection.

P1000021.jpg

It has grown a bit, since this picture was taken.
    I found one of those towers in a thrift store. Where did you buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    And vinyl?

I'm really not ready to give up my CDs. In many ways I like the idea of getting rid of the cases.
    I got rid of my cases years ago and bought loose-leaf binders and plastic sheets that hold 4 CD's per page on one side and CD covers on the other. The problem is that the CD covers usually fit nicely, but the jewel-case backs do not and I ended up folding them to fit which is a bit messy.. Also mini-LP CD and other non-jewel case packaging are problematic and usually do not fit. Anyway, the result is that I have a single media/bookcase full of CD binders organized by genre which are easy to flip through and still shelves of non jewel-case CDs, box sets etc. Not sure I would do it again if I could go back in time. For one thing, I rarely leaf through the binders since I have ripped them to FLAC files. But it is a reasonable option.

So the result is I have roughly as big a collection as Rarebird, but the CDs in the binders fit into one tall and fairly narrow shelf unit.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    This happens to me in another forum- I've found if you crop the pic before uploading, even just a tiny bit, it works. Try that.
    Thank you for that tip, it did the trick!

I love seeing other people's collections. I am not a handyman, I wish I could build my own shelves like some of you are able to do. IKEA assembly is about the extent of my abilities in that regard (and even then, there's a lot of sweating and grumbling), so that's the route for me. My first one was this 900 CD capacity shelf I bought about 20 years ago. It came with sliding doors on each shelf, but I tossed those, I like to see the whole collection at once.

cdcoll1.jpg

...because they discontinued that one, I had to start buying the Benno/Gnedby ones mentioned upthread. I like how they can be easily adjusted for size, which I've done with the sixth one in this photo, to accommodate some boxed sets and DVDs. If set up for CDs only, the capacity is 180 each. As you can see, I connected the first two with the joiner, and then got lazy with the rest as I bought them individually. They do look a bit sloppy free-standing like that, maybe one day I'll fix that!

cdcoll2.jpg

I also grabbed these from a garage sale for ten bucks. 250 capacity each, and they were already assembled:

cdcoll3.jpg cdcoll4.jpg
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    The reaction I get is usually less "surprise" and more one of "shock."
    93BB60A7-6013-450F-B78C-73A6039C511A.jpg
    And this is just C through Z. A and B had to be on the other wall 'cos I ran outta room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz
    Let's face it, CDs are becoming obsolete and in the near future will face the same fate as did with LPs, laser discs, audio cassettes and VHS.
    Not in *MY* household.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I found one of those towers in a thrift store. Where did you buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ikea. The black ones are the new Gnedby, the lighter ones the older Benno, which is no longer available.

If my dad dies, I suppose I leave his CD's to a friend of his, who likes the same music my dad does. If I die, well, why should I worry about that? No family-members I have any contact with, will be alive when that happens.
    "If" your dad dies? Does he know something we don't???

To your other point, a person can't / shouldn't worry about the ultimate disposition of his or her own collection. It's for you, you enjoy it while you're alive. Maybe if it was a collection of skate boards or mountain-climbing gear you'd reach a point where you can no longer enjoy the collection, but not music. Not wine. Not art.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "If" your dad dies? Does he know something we don't???

To your other point, a person can't / shouldn't worry about the ultimate disposition of his or her own collection. It's for you, you enjoy it while you're alive. Maybe if it was a collection of skate boards or mountain-climbing gear you'd reach a point where you can no longer enjoy the collection, but not music. Not wine. Not art.
    I sometimes tend to use the wrong words. Of course I ment: 'when my dad dies'. I don't expect him to live forever. Hope he will make to 100.

I might turn deaf, which would diminish the worth of my collection for me.

I might turn deaf, which would diminish the worth of my collection for me.
    That's another good reason for not going 100% digital.

The reaction I get is usually less "surprise" and more one of "shock."
    Roughly similar to the reaction you might get if someone discovered a human head in your freezer.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

I have one of those too. A couple, in fact -- and sundry other body parts.

Very true, but I'm doing the following: 1) I've cataloged everything in discogs and 2) I'm cleaning ALL my vinyl, and 3) I've digitized all my CDs. So whatever happens to me, my kids will know a) approx what it's worth and b) it's in salable condition.

The current benefit of all this is that I've been able to cull a lot of "dead meat" from my collection, especially with CDs. I mean, did I really need that copy of Trick from 1989? And with retirement just a couple years away, I'll be ready to really ENJOY everything!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

If you're trying to shock me it's not working.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar

I suggest you get those bad boys out of the freezer and proudly mount them in your man cave. It worked fine for my great-grand pappy:

559px-Horatio_Robley,_seated_with_his_collection_of_severed_heads_Wellcome_V0031271.jpg
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

The most space efficient storage storage is spinner racks like the ones I use. Each holds about 1000 CDs. You can see and access all of your CDs (or books, DVDs, etc.) easily. Not sure where to buy them these days.
    CD collection.jpg
    Amazon Marketplace - http://www.amazon.com/shops/A3UJ306B3ZDWF4
    Many hard to find CDs (mostly prog)