Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chick Corea

His best albums for me were those early ECM albums with Flora Purim, Return to Forever and Light As A Feather. I have a CD called The Best of Chick Corea on Blue Note that's pretty good and enjoy his stuff with Gary Burton too, Crystal Silence. I never cared for the heavy fusion thing much.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I have a CD called The Best of Chick Corea on Blue Note that's pretty good
    Looking up the tracklist, most of this was from Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (the expanded CD version) which was one of his best albums.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    His best albums for me were those early ECM albums with Flora Purim, Return to Forever and Light As A Feather. I have a CD called The Best of Chick Corea on Blue Note that's pretty good and enjoy his stuff with Gary Burton too, Crystal Silence. I never cared for the heavy fusion thing much.
    My favs too, although I dig the fusion stuff (some sonics notwithstanding).

A friend turned me onto one of his albums that I had never heard before - one of several that Corea released in 1978. This is fantastic:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    A friend turned me onto one of his albums that I had never heard before - one of several that Corea released in 1978. This is fantastic:

He did several albums in that time period that have the same style to them. His Mad Hatter album is one of my favorites.

Of the electric albums the Leprechaun i quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Of the electric albums the Leprechaun i quite good.
    Yes another good one.

Some of the most insane Gadd drumming, and Anthony Jackson Pick Bass guitar, on Nite Sprite......insane stuff.

Chick's discography is seriously deep. Check out Origin, if you haven't. Or his latest Latin leaning project...
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Niacin + Chick:

This one really knocked me out when I revisited the Friends album last week. And there are several great tunes on this record.

^ absolutely. I have a killer vinyl pressing of this. I transcribed and analyzed Eddie's bass solo in "Sicily" for a jazz class I took in undergrad...great solo!

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    This one really knocked me out when I revisited the Friends album last week. And there are several great tunes on this record.
    Damn, that's a great track. I've never listened to this album; I guess I never took it seriously because of the cover.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Damn, that's a great track. I've never listened to this album; I guess I never took it seriously because of the cover.
    Can’t imagine why
    Great album

^^^ I've heard that quite a lot over the years, it looks like a children's album I suppose. But it's great stuff!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^^ I've heard that quite a lot over the years, it looks like a children's album I suppose. But it's great stuff!
    Probably the biggest disparity between artwork and music quality of any record I own.

Strangely, European pressings have a different cover that wasn't much better.
    R-2684785-1299398979.jpeg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've had it for so long I can't remember if I had heard any of the tunes prior to buying it. No disrespect to Mike Brecker, and Three Quartets is great but I'm more of a Joe Farrell fan. He plays flute, and soprano in addition to tenor. The title track with its beautiful melody is a great feature for the flute. But Cappucino is probably the most energetic performance on the album with a McCoy Tyner like intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ absolutely. I have a killer vinyl pressing of this. I transcribed and analyzed Eddie's bass solo in "Sicily" for a jazz class I took in undergrad...great solo!
    Listening to this again. The groove they've got going at that tempo is killer!

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I've had it for so long I can't remember if I had heard any of the tunes prior to buying it. No disrespect to Mike Brecker, and Three Quartets is great but I'm more of a Joe Farrell fan. He plays flute, and soprano in addition to tenor. The title track with its beautiful melody is a great feature for the flute. But Cappucino is probably the most energetic performance on the album with a McCoy Tyner like intensity.
    I love Three Quartets too but I play Friends more, I guess I like it better. The Rhodes is just so killer. The entire vibe of the recording just pulls you in, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I love Three Quartets too but I play Friends more, I guess I like it better. The Rhodes is just so killer. The entire vibe of the recording just pulls you in, eh?
    Yeah, overall the record has more variety with a lot of different rhythms and tones. But Three Quartets with the bonus tracks is pretty cool as well. And Chick released a live quartet CD from Montreux with Joe Henderson, Gary Peacock, and Roy Haynes recorded that same year in 1981.

Between Friends and Three Quartets I think I'd take Three Quartets (I like the more dark, intense compositions there) but they're both very good.

On the interwebs I found a good radio recording from Europe of the Three Quartets material live in the early 90's, Bob Berg on sax rather than Brecker.