Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chick Corea

Deleted.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

No Mystery.....Oh yeah!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

is that an official release?!

I NEED THAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Fusion bliss...

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    is that an official release?!

I NEED THAT!!!
    Pretty sure that is the DVD that came out at the same time as "Return to Forever Returns" (live album) in 2008, but I might be wrong...
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 10-03-2019 at 11:57 PM.

The official DVD is Live In Montreux.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    The official DVD is Live In Montreux.
    I stand corrected.

Huge Chick Corea fan here. Return To Forever was my gateway.

I really appreciate the diversity of his repertoire. As a pianist he's inventive, sublime and impeccable. As an electronic keyboardist he's an original. As soon as I hear him, I know it's him; he's got a sound all his own. As a composer he's definitely up there with all the big names. He's written multiple tunes, like "Spain", that should be considered standards if not now then in the future. I go on Chick listening binges frequently and given the size and breadth of his catalog it's impossible to get bored with the guy. Just love his music to death.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Huge Chick Corea fan here. Return To Forever was my gateway.

I really appreciate the diversity of his repertoire. As a pianist he's inventive, sublime and impeccable. As an electronic keyboardist he's an original. As soon as I hear him, I know it's him; he's got a sound all his own. As a composer he's definitely up there with all the big names. He's written multiple tunes, like "Spain", that should be considered standards if not now then in the future. I go on Chick listening binges frequently and given the size and breadth of his catalog it's impossible to get bored with the guy. Just love his music to death.
    Basically how I feel as well. Great post.

New album out TODAY!

Fans of Now He Sings with Miroslav and Roy need to check this out. Unreal.

I've heard some live broadcasts with McBride and Blade and it is the best playing I've heard from Chick in years.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I've heard some live broadcasts with McBride and Blade and it is the best playing I've heard from Chick in years.
    I enjoy all his acoustic trio stuff (amongst more recent releases, the Gadd/McBride one is especially nice),
    but I knew the energy between these three was particularly good when I saw Five Peace Band live and even with Johnny Mac and Kenny Garrett there (both of whom are favorites), my ear kept drifting back to the rhythm section.

Apart from the classic RTF canon and a few other releases over the years, I am quite the novice and cannot add anything erudite to the conversation. However you folk have me listening outside of my usual range, and I find that there is some astonishing and astounding music that has passed me by.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    He's written multiple tunes, like "Spain", that should be considered standards if not now then in the future.
    "Spain," "Windows," "Sea Journey," "500 Miles High," "Humpty Dumpty" and "Day Waves" are all considered to be jazz standards.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

New album out TODAY!
    I have the first "Trilogy" with that lineup; it's killer! I'm excited to hear the new one!
    Last edited by No Pride; 10-04-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Huge Chick Corea fan here! He's in my Top 5 living musician/composers and I have more albums of his than any other band/artist. I love the vast majority of his work with only a few exceptions like "Light Years" and "Music Magic" (and not such a big fan of RTF albums that followed Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy). The man is an incredible improviser with impeccable time, unlimited chops and a deep knowledge of modern harmony and rhythmic permutations. I love his various piano trios the most for improvisation, but his compositions are great across the whole spectrum of his work. He's also about the only person I can forgive for being a Scientologist.
    Yeah, my thoughts pretty much exactly. He also involves his audience, which is cool. For all the strangeness you'd think would be there with the crazy LRONH association, he seems pretty down to earth.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

https://www.livefromourlivingrooms.com/chick-corea

Man, this video with Chick is an hour well worth spending. What an amazing musician.

I uploaded a superb 42 minute set in the OT jazz thread. A B&W film of the 1972 band with Joe Farrell and Airto.

Banned

I decided to give Hymn to the Seventh Galaxy a try -- I find most "pure" jazz fusion (as opposed to the more rock-like fusion like Brand X or Colosseum II) a little inaccessible to my tastes -- and I actually found myself grooving to "After the Cosmic Rain." Some really tasty keys in that one atop a nice groove. Maybe I should just confess that I like it when it's "simpler." Even when it's simpler, though, it's quite eloquent.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The man is a Jazz legend but beyond that he was an absolute Genius of the progressive electric music era! Those Rockin' RTF albums and some of the Elektrik Band albums as well as other projects like The Ultimate Adventure solidify him as one of the greatest progressive electric musician/composers of all time.

I look forward to meeting him when he is resurrected
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I look forward to meeting him when he is resurrected
    He is going to be resurrected? Is that a scientology thing?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I believe it is; but he would come back as someone else entirely.

So what is commonly thought of as reincarnation is a definite system and is not part of Scientology. Rather, the Church ascribes to the latter, original definition. Today in Scientology, many people have certainty that they have lived lives prior to their current one. These are referred to as past lives, not as reincarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    no.

Scientology is not my thing and I do not believe in "past lives" either

PM me if you wish to have an intellectual conversation that would not be right in this thread
    not that this thread is not intellectual. Just that the subject matter is not appropriate for this thread