Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chick Corea

Seeing him live is an experience, in any of his settings. He is so totally effortless in his playing, especially the complex stuff, and so expressive and unique in his soloing ability.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Fusion bliss...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

One of his less known sessions.From 1969, with a rather stellar lineup.Picked up the 2-cd " Complete IS sessions" a couple of years ago.Some fine music here.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Love the discussion here (of course), I haven't had time to respond to a bunch of you but I will. So his Akoustic Band released in 1989 on GRP (Oh yeah....GRP Baby!!) is really an absolute gem imo. Chick's solo on this version of "Spain" is just really beyond words, absolute mastery and creativity. Like what BobM said - it is effortless when he blows a solo - his mastery of harmony and rhythmic ideas on this is just on such a crazy level. He could record 50 versions and there is no doubt each and every one of them would be a gem. So check this solo out a few times and it will start to sink in. Patitucci and Weckl also are equally as good quite honestly.

PS - I forgot to add: when he solos, his LH comping is often overshadowed by his insane RH melodic ideas, but if you really check out his LH here you will be amazed by that alone, at least I am.

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

^^^
    Nice, Frank! I hadn't heard that version. I remember that album being fairly popular at the time but I never picked it up.

Okay, here's one that really knocks me out. 13 minutes of insanely great playing by Steve Gadd. Eddie Gomez is on bass.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    Chick is absolutely amazing. I've seen him live so many times through the years in so many different settings. The concerts at the Blue Note a few years ago for his 75th birthday were amazing. He had so many different groups there for the residency including Mike Stern, John McLaughlin, Victor Wooten, Kenny Garrett, Steve Gadd, Frank Gambale, John Patitucci, Marcus Miller, Carles Benavent, Jorge Pardo, Gary Burton, Lenny White and many more.
    I was there the last night for both shows with Johnny Mac!

Outstanding!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I don't really know enough of Chick's music to really talk about it. I remember borrowing the original Electrick Band record from the library when it came out. VH-1 played the frell out of the Electrick City video, as I recall. Anyway, I probably played the record like once, so I don't really remember much about it, beyond the apparent "single". Typical 80's fusion, ya know.

I did see the Return To Forever reunion tour back in 2008 or 2009, whenever it was that he did the tour with Lenny, Stanley and Al. That was a good show, I think I have it on one of the hard drives. And I keep meaning to pick up the duet records he did with Gary Burton, and a few things that I think might interest me.

BTW, did you know that Chick was the one manipulating the controls of the Echoplex on Sonny Sharrock's uncredited slide guitar solo on side two of Miles' A Tribute To Jack Johnson?

A personal favorite that often goes unnoticed because it's on a tribute record - his acoustic band's version of Vince Guaraldi's "The Great Pumpkin Waltz". What makes it so perfect is that not only is it a tribute to the aforementioned Guaraldi, it's a stylistic homage to the great Bill Evans Trio. A really fun rendition.

No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    BTW, did you know that Chick was the one manipulating the controls of the Echoplex on Sonny Sharrock's uncredited slide guitar solo on side two of Miles' A Tribute To Jack Johnson?
    That was a cool session that wasn't properly credited on the album. The full takes showed up on the Jack Johnson box set. Here is one of them (most of the weird noise is Chick with the ring modulated Rhodes, Sharrock comes in at the last minute and then it sounds like the tape runs out).

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Of the fusion records Where Have I Known You Before is my favorite.
    Mine too. It always amazed me how this record received less praise compared to No Mystery, Romantic Warrior and Hymn for the 7th Galaxy. In my view, it is far superior to all those.

Among my favorites is Trio Music Live In Europe, with the trio consisting of Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous and Roy Haynes.

Sorry if it's been mentioned above and I missed it.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

As a leader:

Bliss! (originally released as Pete LaRoca's Turkish Women At the Bath)
    Tones For Joan's Bones
    Is
    Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
    A.R.C.
    Chrystal Silence
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Despite what I personally consider to be Chick's extraordinarily unfortunate lifelong connections to Scientology, there is absolutely no question that he has (as both player/composer and imaginative thinker) created one of the more spectacular canons in modern jazz and progressive music... what can you say? The man is an absolute monster musician.

The early trio work with Haynes and Vitous, Circle and the first and final editions of RTF (with saxophonist/flautist Joe Farrell) may be my favorite stuff, but there are many treasures to behold.

Where Have I Known You Before, Romantic Warrior, Three Quartets, Trio Music, and the 1978 duo acoustic piano album with Herbie were all seminal for me. The man is a musical treasure, without a doubt.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    ^^^
    Okay, here's one that really knocks me out. 13 minutes of insanely great playing by Steve Gadd. Eddie Gomez is on bass.

Indeed amazing

This too
    [URL https://youtu.be/m5O_zcq5sK4][/URL]

[URL https://youtu.be/p4Jo4k5-mos][/URL]

I adore his solo here
    Its ripping and the way it develops and turns mood at 04:53 wow

Huge Chick Corea fan here! He's in my Top 5 living musician/composers and I have more albums of his than any other band/artist. I love the vast majority of his work with only a few exceptions like "Light Years" and "Music Magic" (and not such a big fan of RTF albums that followed Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy). The man is an incredible improviser with impeccable time, unlimited chops and a deep knowledge of modern harmony and rhythmic permutations. I love his various piano trios the most for improvisation, but his compositions are great across the whole spectrum of his work. He's also about the only person I can forgive for being a Scientologist.

Saw Chick a few years ago at Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco, hosting a tribute to McCoy Tyner. Besides Chick and McCoy himself, Geri Allen and Randy Weston played, and Joe Lovano honked on one of those non-piano thingies. Quite an evening of talent!

I'll mention one odd but intriguing pair of Chick Corea albums in my collection, Delphi 1 and Delphi 2 and 3. Two obscure late 70's albums of piano improvisation (Allmusic claims Delphi 2 & 3 wasn't released, but I have a copy) recorded at a Scientology school and apparently meant to advertise it. Despite that, great piano and if the albums were on ECM with different packaging I suspect more people would mention them.

One of Corea's earliest sideman jobs was the piano bench in drummer Milford Graves's Latin-jazz combo in the early 60's(at this juncture Graves was playing Latin percussion.

I saw a picture of this band a while ago, wish i could find it to post.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I love the vast majority of his work with only a few exceptions like "Light Years" and "Music Magic"
    Musicmagic doesn't get any love on here but I happen to really enjoy it. I find the music very colorful. I know a lot of people don't care for Moran's vocals and maybe that's the drawback but I don't mind them at all. The live album set released from that tour is excellent.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Musicmagic doesn't get any love on here but I happen to really enjoy it. I find the music very colorful. I know a lot of people don't care for Moran's vocals and maybe that's the drawback but I don't mind them at all. The live album set released from that tour is excellent.

Rick
    I really like Musicmagic, too.

(I probably got used to Moran's voice on those last couple Mahavishnu albums...)

I would think the cheesier stuff like Secret Agent and most of Touchstone would get the disdain.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    I really like Musicmagic, too.

(I probably got used to Moran's voice on those last couple Mahavishnu albums...)

I would think the cheesier stuff like Secret Agent and most of Touchstone would get the disdain.
    Secret Agent has a few pieces that are different for Chick but overall it has some great music. Touchtone has a great lineup of musicians on it including the reformed RTF piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secret Agent has a few pieces that are different for Chick but overall it has some great music. Touchtone has a great lineup of musicians on it including the reformed RTF piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I usually like all of a Chick project- if an album only has a couple pieces on it that resonate with me, I consider it a perhaps noble but failed effort... all highly subjective of course.

Touchtone has a great lineup of musicians on it including the reformed RTF
    Paco de Lucia!