Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 20 Years of The Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I disliked The Ladder when it came out and got rid of it a few years ago. The only song I liked was homeworld. The rest was incredibly cheesy imho.
    I was so jazzed when I heard Homeworld. They're back, Yes is back, 70's prog rock is back! The rest of the album did nothing for me.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

The Live From the House of Blues DVD, which came out the next year and documented the tour, has a video for Homeworld in 5.1 sound, and the video is footage from the Homeworld game.

Pretty cool to watch and listen to this.

Yes took us for a rocky ride during the 90's.... Union, Talk, Keys and the totally confused Open Your Eyes...
    The Ladder was a good end to the decade. good songs. a very positive album.
    this was the last Yes album that sounded like a Yes album.

what about ABWH? that was 30 years ago.
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 09-28-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    what about ABWH? that was 30 years ago.
    The Ladder > Union > ABWH

There, I said it.

I first heard The Ladder on our local radio station who played the entire album one Saturday evening.. I can't say I ran out and bought it the next day. For me it was a bit crowded.. they could easily have left off a few cuts and made it tighter.. but fully agree the tour that followed was wonderful..
    Last edited by happytheman; 09-29-2019 at 07:16 AM.

I've never listened to it and neither I intend to. But if you think I am missing something important, something essential, step out and let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I've never listened to it and neither I intend to. But if you think I am missing something important, something essential, step out and let me know.
    I don't think you'd like it but the good news for you is that Brittney Spears just tweeted that she wants you and all of her fans to think of her and that she'll be back!

^ Perhaps you should attempt another Asia-related superjoke instead? Or are those strictly limited to threads on topics about which you know absolutely nothing?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

“Homeworld” stands up to their best work. Enjoyable album. Average overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Gathering from some of your posts elsewhere, this album probably won’t do much for you. Whether it’s important or essential is a matter of opinion. You KNOW it’s no Civilization Phase III. 🙂 Overall, I like this record.
    Last edited by pulse; 09-29-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Change

I will say that they were very good on the supporting tour with Igor and Billy on keys and 2nd guitar respectively.

I blame it on Greg Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Perhaps you should attempt another Asia-related superjoke instead? Or are those strictly limited to threads on topics about which you know absolutely nothing?
    What are you doing on a Yes thread? Didn't you jump ship from Yes in 1971 when they went too commercial for you?

OK. I will do an Asia joke.

Asia walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "Are we prog?".

The bartender listens to them, laughs, and says, "Fuck, no!".

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    What are you doing on a Yes thread? Didn't you jump ship from Yes in 1971 when they went too commercial for you?
    Yes.

Got the joke? Now please do one on Asia, 'shogun.

Shit, that's even a double joke. Albeit not up to usual standards of humour in these threads.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Shit, that's even a double joke. Albeit not up to usual standards of humour in these threads.
    4/10 So on par with the standard.

4/10 So on par with the standard.
    Only not up to yours, 'shogun.

But that's no disgrace, I mean - things got so commercial after 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    OK. I will do an Asia joke.

Asia walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "Are we prog?".

The bartender listens to them, laughs, and says, "Fuck, no!".
    That's not a joke, it's a truism.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Still enjoy it whenever I pull it off of the shelf. Maybe once or twice a year?

I like most of it. I definitely thought it was better than Union, Open Your Eyes, and Talk. For some reason, I skipped over the Keys stuff until just a few years ago. The Keys stuff really didn't resonate at all. So for me it's still kind of the last Yes album.

I had the game too, but I don't recall getting into it too much. I wonder if I still have a copy somewhere?

I can't remember if the album had a sticker mentioning the game or vice versa, but there was a marketing connection there somewhere.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I can't remember if the album had a sticker mentioning the game or vice versa, but there was a marketing connection there somewhere.
    My sticker said "A return to form."

My sticker said "A return to form."
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I like most of it. I definitely thought it was better than Union, Open Your Eyes, and Talk. For some reason, I skipped over the Keys stuff until just a few years ago. The Keys stuff really didn't resonate at all.
    I am not a huge fan of Talk. Some fans love it though.

I like the epics on the Keys... albums, but the rest isn't that good IMHO. And placing the new material within live albums was a very bad marketing decision IMHO.

The less said about Open Your Eyes, the better.

To say The Ladder is better than these is damning with faint praise, admittedly.

I love The Ladder. Best YES album since Going For The One.
    The Prog Corner

Bluest too!