Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survivor - Island of the Idols | Season 39

I think the theme of this season has to be: If you have an immunity idol, use it, because nobody is safe!
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Noura dodged a bullet.....what a box of rocks she was.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I am really starting to love Elaine. That girl is cool as a cucumber. Of course, it's all about the editing, but nobody seemed to suspect that she could steal a vote. She only shared it with the one other person who had been to IotI. And even as Jeff was reading out her name and the count was 3/3, she didn't flinch. No stress, no sweat, just waited for the verdict. Of course, she was probably fairly confident that she had the votes to stay, but with all the blindsides this season, one never knows.

I do think that she was a bit too impulsive in agreeing to Rob's offer before she knew what it was. Had she lost her vote, her alliance would have been screwed.

Nice play by Kellee last night. She not only saved an ally, she flushed out Jamal's idol and revealed that Jamal would be willing to play an idol for Noura. Although it seems kind of cocky since his name came up in the discussions of who to vote for.

I love Kellee gave Dean her idol and then voted for him so that she could deny having anything to do with his idol.

I also love that nobody that has gone to Island of the Idols has revealed what really happens there. It'll be interesting to see who is first to let the cat out of the bag.

And, lastly, I super-loved the discussion at last night's TC! I thought it was an interesting decision for Kellee to call out Jamal for his "girl's alliance" comment, and I really appreciated how he responded to it by listening to what the women had to say. I know it was edited down and I'd love to see the entire discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I love Kellee ... voted for him so that she could deny having anything to do with his idol.
    How would the others know that she voted for him?

She wrote his name as "DEaN" - perhaps she told the others that she would write his name that way, to prove that she actually did vote for him?
    Regards,

Duncan

And, lastly, I super-loved the discussion at last night's TC! I thought it was an interesting decision for Kellee to call out Jamal for his "girl's alliance" comment, and I really appreciated how he responded to it by listening to what the women had to say. I know it was edited down and I'd love to see the entire discussion.

That was interesting, and I guess being an African American he could identify with that sort of prejudice. However, he had a point, it's not like the women haven't formed an alliance in past episodes.

Had I been Kellee, I think I might have just kept the idol, and maybe used it as a fake idol or something. In the end I don't think it adds to her position any with anyone really. I really don't think in the end that there are any strong alliances (or vaguely so, and Dean could just as easily spill the beans to get in good with someone else, just to stab her in the back.

I also love that nobody that has gone to Island of the Idols has revealed what really happens there. It'll be interesting to see who is first to let the cat out of the bag.

ssion.
    I actually find it a bit hard to believe that no one has spilled the beans about the Island Of The Idols. Do you think maybe they have some kind of clause in their contracts that they can't disclose the "secret" or something? It just seems like human nature would make it very difficult for people to keep it hidden so well.

On another note, so far I am enjoying this season a lot more than I thought I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    How would the others know that she voted for him?
    There are four people in Kellee's alliance. If there weren't at least four votes for Dean they would know that someone flipped their vote.

hippypants and SteveSly, you both make good points.

Two idols now. There are some really dumb Survivor players this season.

Sorry, Kellee, your Harvard education means nothing on this show. Even Noura has lasted longer than you!

I still don't get it. Considering she was in the minority tribe at the merge, why wouldn't she keep herself safe by using the idol she found on the new island? If she kept herself safe, the idol would be back on the island where she could find it again.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

So, Dan. Was his response in the last TC sincere? I say yes. Hubby says no.

I can already see what the hot topic of the live show will be...and the discussion between Dan and Kellee where Dan apologizes profusely and Kellee forgives him and agrees that it was a misunderstanding.

I feel bad for Janet. She thought that she was doing the honourable thing by voting for Dan and, instead, she got screwed. She says now that she should have stayed out of it, but I firmly believe that she should not have. She did the right thing to stand up for the other women. It's not her fault that they lied to her.

I felt Dan's apology was sincere even, but who knows. And how bad is this going to be for him when he gets back to real life? The social media, lynch mob, keyboard warriors will be pretty brutal probably. I feel bad for Janet too, but not a smart move. I'm pulling for her.

If I'm being honest, I hate the place where this is going and you know the execs are eating this up because it's a hot button topic and will draw more in. I understand it's a reality show, but still...I want to escape this stuff. The 1 hour, Dr. Probst Reunion Show at the end is going to be even more unwatchable for me I know it already...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I can already see what the hot topic of the live show will be...and the discussion between Dan and Kellee where Dan apologizes profusely and Kellee forgives him and agrees that it was a misunderstanding.

I feel bad for Janet. She thought that she was doing the honourable thing by voting for Dan and, instead, she got screwed. She says now that she should have stayed out of it, but I firmly believe that she should not have. She did the right thing to stand up for the other women. It's not her fault that they lied to her.
    Missy and Elizabeth are doing major backtracking online after the episode aired. They have each posted lengthy statements.

This link shows their statements.

I found the whole incident between Dan and the girls to be interesting. As a manager myself I have had to deal with situations like this between employees several times. Rarely are these situations black and white and it is often hard to determine where the actual truth lies. On the one hand, Dan seems to be sincere in that he had no malicious intent with his actions. On the other hand, as a manager himself, he should be aware of certain lines that you just do not cross, to ensure that you don’t get into situations like this in the first place.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I guarantee you, if he never realized he was crossing that line, his employees back home are lining up as we speak.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Two idols now. There are some really dumb Survivor players this season.

Sorry, Kellee, your Harvard education means nothing on this show. Even Noura has lasted longer than you!

I still don't get it. Considering she was in the minority tribe at the merge, why wouldn't she keep herself safe by using the idol she found on the new island? If she kept herself safe, the idol would be back on the island where she could find it again.
    To be fair, they often drag along contestants that have no shot at winning to the end. Noura is the definition of that. Annoying, useless (from a game perspective), and not really a physical or mental threat.

That said, yeah...having two idols and not playing one of them is really stupid. She was playing a good game up until that point, and well...now that's all she wrote.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

It appeared sincere to me, but the fact that he was harping that they 'wouldn't let it go' was uncomfortable. I guess we will have to see if there are any behavioral changes to know for sure.

Ditto on the Janet front. Unlike Klonk, I'm very much looking forward to the reunion show and hope they actually have time to talk about things as opposed to previous years when that show is cut shorter and shorter.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Unlike Klonk, I'm very much looking forward to the reunion show and hope they actually have time to talk about things as opposed to previous years when that show is cut shorter and shorter.
    That reunion show has turned into a drawn out therapy session that always runs out of time before getting to a lot of people I'd like to hear from. And you know they are going to spend way too much time on the Dan thing. I'll watch, but know it's going to irritate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    That reunion show has turned into a drawn out therapy session that always runs out of time before getting to a lot of people I'd like to hear from. And you know they are going to spend way too much time on the Dan thing. I'll watch, but know it's going to irritate me.
    ^This
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    On the other hand, as a manager himself, he should be aware of certain lines that you just do not cross, to ensure that you don’t get into situations like this in the first place.
    ^This.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that Dan's ignorance of his behaviour is exactly why the whole Me Too movement is needed. It's not just about men in power who knowingly taking advantage of women, it's also about men who think they are entitled to be touchy-feely with women and consider it innocent behaviour. Being innocent doesn't make it any less uncomfortable.

...I'd like to hear from Dan's employees before I judge him from a heavily edited TV show.

^This.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that Dan's ignorance of his behaviour is exactly why the whole Me Too movement is needed. It's not just about men in power who knowingly taking advantage of women, it's also about men who think they are entitled to be touchy-feely with women and consider it innocent behaviour. Being innocent doesn't make it any less uncomfortable.
    We actually had to go through a training session on this very subject last week. If a person is in any kind of leadership position, you have to be very careful how you conduct yourself in all situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...I'd like to hear from Dan's employees before I judge him from a heavily edited TV show.
    Agreed, what is shown on TV and what is true reality could be completely different.

...and now the race card? Props to Probst for handling that perfectly because you know the social justice warriors were drooling, millimeters away from their keyboards waiting to pounce. If this is how this show is going to be moving forward, I'm out after this season for sure...unless the theme is 'Over 40'
    Last edited by Klonk; 11-22-2019 at 11:24 PM.