Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survivor - Island of the Idols | Season 39

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...unless the theme is 'Over 40'

I've always thought we needed Survivors and Big Brothers etc. for the over-40 crowd.

More intriguing, but less eye candy.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I've always thought we needed Survivors and Big Brothers etc. for the over-40 crowd.

More intriguing, but less eye candy.
    It used to be like that in the first 5-10 seasons. Then, the children who would watch these shows with their parents back then, are now old enough to be playing. That's what we are stuck with.

Way to go Karishma! I don't like her, but that was a great play of her idol. And Lauren played hers for nothing.

There were two votes that weren't for Karishma. One vote was obviously Karishma, but who was the other vote???? When they showed the voting at the end, they showed the Elizabeth vote. WHO CARES? That one was so obvious.

Whoah - player removed, for the first time ever. What's the story behind the story?
    Regards,

Duncan

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Oof. I'm sure it will come out eventually, but presumably it was similar to the behavior Dan was exhibiting throughout the show.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Dan--could have still been over his past allegations of touching some of the players, and the Me2 movement.

I kind of liked Elaine.

After doing a bit of sleuthing on Survivor twitter accounts, it appears that there is more. Way more. Lawyers for Dan are hot on this. Talks of many contestant boycotts for the reunion. CBS is scrambling.

I don't understand the point of recording the reunion show early, in front of a live audience, but then showing it unedited. What am I missing here?

If they record it 3 hours early, then the audience knows who wins three hours early. What are the chances of it being leaked before the show airs on TV?

What are the security concerns?

None of this makes sense to me.

Oh, and I LOVE Elaine. She's awesome! I want to be her friend.

Two very different takes on the Dan situation from former cast members. Interestingly, the article against Dan is written by a woman and the article for Dan by a man.

https://time.com/5749735/survivor-co...al-harassment/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...dal/ar-AAK6sNQ

My last post on this...this is an excellent article calling out Probst and the crew for not acting sooner. Very well written.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/surv...ff-probst.html

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I don't understand the point of recording the reunion show early, in front of a live audience, but then showing it unedited. What am I missing here?

If they record it 3 hours early, then the audience knows who wins three hours early. What are the chances of it being leaked before the show airs on TV?

What are the security concerns?

None of this makes sense to me.
    Perhaps I missed it or just made it up in my mind...I assume what is going to be shown would be edited. These reunion shows always get cut short and I thought if they pretaped it then they could actually have a real conversation about these things in five minutes and always cutting to commercial. But I guess we will see what we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Perhaps I missed it or just made it up in my mind...I assume what is going to be shown would be edited. These reunion shows always get cut short and I thought if they pretaped it then they could actually have a real conversation about these things in five minutes and always cutting to commercial. But I guess we will see what we get.
    From the article posted by Gruno,

While the program will not be airing live with its the usual 10-second delay, the expectation is that it will still appear in its entirety without any edits, much like the way all the network late-night talks shows go live-to-tape a few hours before air.

From the article posted by Gruno,
    Ah. Clearly I missed that.

Well, that is dumb then.

While the program will not be airing live with its the usual 10-second delay, the expectation is that it will still appear in its entirety without any edits, much like the way all the network late-night talks shows go live-to-tape a few hours before air.
    MY expectation is that explore the subject and if anyone says anything considered to be politically-incorrect, they'll edit that out.

I expect the finale to be little more than a lecture.
    Regards,

Duncan

If you want to know why Dan was booted, this article will tell you.

https://people.com/tv/survivors-dan-...-deeply-sorry/

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I expect the finale to be little more than a lecture.
    It's become a lecture more and more each year (the reunion show that is). I'm going to watch it of course, but I know it's going to turn my stomach this time around. Maybe, just maybe they get the Dan saga over with early and quickly...doubt it though. The social media lynch mob is slobbering over their keyboards waiting to pounce all over this one...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

so any predictions for the winner tonight?

I was fine with Tommy winning. I feel the entire season was a good one, with very few memorable characters. The way they formatted the episode, they were left with roughly 30 minutes of TV time for the wrap-up.

I enjoyed the final tribal council. However, I do want to highlight one thing:
    When Kellee was questioning Dean, she said she never 'got' him. Never connected. He didn't have a defining line of morality to cross. My response: so what? He was a contestant on a game show. Does everyone have to come on and be friends for life and have some huge kumbaya bond each time? NO! Play the damned game how you want and if you want to be on this holy search for yourself and have poignant moments then do so on your own without expecting others to do the same. I thought she was unfair to Dean with her statements. /rant

Had I been on the jury I would have voted for Dean. He came up from being the underdog, and found a bunch of idols etc to help him get to the end. I thought that was what Survivor was all about. Being a nice guy like Tommy, and a tag along isn't for me what the game is all about.

I'm with hippypants. I would have voted for Dean. For Dean to go to the 2nd last tribal with a hidden immunity idol, an idol eliminator (or whatever they called it), a legacy advantage (which he thought was real), and wearing the necklace, was pretty damn impressive. To have all of those advantages and not have to use them (he chose to use the idol eliminator, he didn't have to use it to save himself) was really quite amazing, and then to win the fire comp to earn a place in the final three was also impressive.

Dean's problem, IMO, is that he did not do a very good job representing himself to the jury. I thought he came off as defensive whereas Tommy presented himself with confidence. Tommy played a better social game and I think being likable won him jury votes in the end.

You hit the nail on the head Gruno, "I feel the entire season was a good one, with very few memorable characters". That's exactly how I feel. I'll have forgotten Tommy's name by tomorrow.

I have to say, I;'m pretty excited they are finally doing an all winners edition for season 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I have to say, I;'m pretty excited they are finally doing an all winners edition for season 40.
    Me too. I'm impressed that they could get 20 returning winners. I don't remember half those people. It'll be interesting to see Rob and Amber playing together. I'm sure they'll be on different tribes, but if the others are smart they'll vote one of them out quickly since there's no way they will go against each other. It'll also be interesting to see how all their personal friendships play into the game.

Me too. I'm impressed that they could get 20 returning winners. I don't remember half those people. It'll be interesting to see Rob and Amber playing together. I'm sure they'll be on different tribes, but if the others are smart they'll vote one of them out quickly since there's no way they will go against each other. It'll also be interesting to see how all their personal friendships play into the game.
    I guess making it two million dollars was enough. Also if you are competitive, playing against all former winners has to be exciting. I do hope they change up the edge of extinction "twist" from last time though.

And ditto...I went through and looked up the ones I was unfamiliar with, and they all look familiar, even if I can't actually remember much about them.