Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marco Minnemann - My Sister

Marco Minnemann - My Sister

This could be my favorite Marco album to date. Not your normal prog. Intense, every song has it's own identity and each one is pushing musical boundaries . Amazing someone could imagine this let alone play it flawlessly.

What are your thoughts on this release?

I played guitar and sang on this record, but admittedly haven't heard the whole thing yet.

Well buckle up. Killer stuff. What song did you play on? Proud to be a nobody hanging with the pros on this website.

Cheers

Need to check it out. I still like Eeps the most but maybe this is my new love.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    This could be my favorite Marco album to date. Not your normal prog. Intense, every song has it's own identity and each one is pushing musical boundaries .
    What the does "Your normal prog" mean?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    What the does "Your normal prog" mean?
    You know -- regular prog. Not the irregular or abnormal kind of prog.

Normal prog would be the Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, etc. Not the abnormal prog stuff.

Well buckle up. Killer stuff. What song did you play on? Proud to be a nobody hanging with the pros on this website.

Cheers
    I contributed two guitar solos (Blessed, White Sheets), and all of the vocals on Blessed (though there might have been a female voice added in spots).

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Need to check it out. I still like Eeps the most but maybe this is my new love.
    Eeps is great. Thankfully Marco sounds like himself, and not "normal" prog. I mostly have his early albums. I like Comfortably Homeless, and Contraire de la Chanson.

Normal prog would be the Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, etc.
    Oh.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh.
    Now that we have defined normal prog, maybe you should listen to this release and tell me what you think.

Also, what does "Scrotum Scissor" mean?

It means Grumpytesticlehaircutter.

This lad is too young to be playing normal prog. He's not even 50.

oh great another prog genre I have to search through at the local record shop..
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar

Also, what does "Scrotum Scissor" mean?
    It means if you're a symph weenie he's going to cut your balls off. But only verbally.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Hope ya'll are enjoying "My Sister" more than this imaginative banter.
    Last edited by Grumpyprogfan; 1 Week Ago at 04:42 PM.

Ordered the vinyl, got an email this week saying I won't get it for 7 or 8 weeks. Ooof! At least it's on Spotify, listening now. Track 4, Radical Radicals, which overall reminds me of some of Mike Keneally's stuff, includes a belch, so that tells me he's pushing beyond normal, regular prog. Actually I don't really think of Marco's music as prog, but rather adventurous rock.

Don't have it yet. Last one I got was Boreggo....

This album is an absolute KILLER! So good. Not a dud from start to finish. He's gotta be one of the most talented guys on the planet and this album proves it as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    This album is an absolute KILLER! So good. Not a dud from start to finish. He's gotta be one of the most talented guys on the planet and this album proves it as far as I'm concerned.
    Agree. It's amazing how he keeps putting out incredible solo albums every year in addition to everything else he's involved with. He is the Zappa of this generation.

Agree. It's amazing how he keeps putting out incredible solo albums every year in addition to everything else he's involved with. He is the Zappa of this generation.
    Here's one of his current side-projects: Yuval Ron's Somewhere In This Universe, Somebody Hits A Drum

Very original and quality music. I like this a lot. Thanks to the people who urged me to listen with their positive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Very original and quality music.
    I like this a lot. Thanks to the people who urged me to listen with their positive comments.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Spread the word. Marco deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I've had the Flying Colors album on repeat for the last few days to get ready for the show next week but I've been sitting here staring at Sister (haven't even opened it since it arrived a few days ago.)

I'm sure I'll be blown away given who is involved.

I was under the mistaken impression that Alex Lifeson would be more involved but that is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It means if you're a symph weenie he's going to cut your balls off. But only verbally.
    I thought he was a big fan of vasectomies.