Thread: Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of our Lives

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar

Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of our Lives

Netflix has a new 2-hour portrait of the ultimate industry hit-maker. I've never been much of a fan of the "diva-of-the-day" music machine he represents, but it was still a fascinating look at the music biz.

Clive has remained at the center of it for over 30 years, which is remarkable in itself with all the changes in fashion.

'You got to have a single'

Good Day and thanks for posting rcarlberg. I watched said portrait a few days ago, wanted to make a post, and this thread prompt...

VERY interesting look at the music business indeed! I too came away reminding myself that it is for sure a 'business'. Pleasant it was to see the many snippets of Davis rather 'getting in to the music'. Davis did seem to have a keen ear for the music, backed by him and the label, that would appeal to the needed broader marketplace.

Worth a couple of viewing hours for sure

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

I read Clive's book a while back and found it very interesting. I am not a huge fan of a lot of the artists he promoted, but he certainly had an interesting life and did back some bands / artists who were very talented. I have not seen the Netflix doc yet, but it is on my list to check out.

I still find it hilarious that he bent over backwards trying to get a top 10 hit out of the Grateful Dead in the late 70's, having them work with all kinds of unsuitable producers (well, two of them: Keith Olsen and Gary Lyons, Lowell George might have been a good, sympathetic producer if a. he hadn't had his face buried a Mt. Everest sized pile of cocaine for most of the sessions when he was present and b. hadn't had to leave partway through to go on tour with Little Feat) and then when the hit finally does come, it's off a record they did where they had a negotiated a "hands off" deal with Clive. But then, who knows? Maybe if MTV had existed in 1977, that horrendous disco version of Dancin' In The Streets or Feel Like A Stranger might have been the hit Clive had been looking for.