Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to manage my huge, pulsating CD collection digitally

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Depends on the recording and the environment. Play some of my wife's brick-walled dance pop, I won't hear a difference. Play something recorded with some care, say Steely Dan, I'll hear it. On the living room stereo, the difference is much more apparent. In a car with 70 mph road noise, not so much.
    Agreed.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'd try to figure out why my collection was pulsating before worrying about how to store my media files.
    The more I see this the funnier it gets!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I question: why the big rush to abandon the CD format?
    When the CD format came out in the early 80s, it was indeed more convenient. Compared to the vinyl record, the new disc was indeed "compact." And CDs could be played in a car since there was no tone arm to go flying when one hit a bump. By today's standards however, the CD is bulky, clunky and inconvenient. Why would I carry a stack of CDs with me on the bus and train when I can fit my entire CD collection, in lossless Flac format, on a pair of 128MB Micro SD Cards? Why would I want to change a CD every 40 to 80 minutes, depending on the discs' playing time? Not to mention my Fiio X1 player fits in my pocket whereas, even a portable CD player does not.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Okay, I get the convenience of not carrying discs around with you.

But there are kinda TWO separate issues here, aren't there? Permanent storage for home use, and portable storage for on-the-go? If portable storage is enough for you, then you don't worry about the artwork or long-term storage. And once again, cloud-based storage is a lot more secure than portable SSD drives.

But if long-term permanent storage and the artwork are important, then the original discs themselves handily beat any other format.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 09-28-2019 at 04:39 PM.

The artwork is freely available from the internet. For permanent storage, I have portable hard drives on which I keep rotating offsite backups of several terabytes of music. These drive can fit easily in my filing cabinet at work, or a bank safety deposit box if all else fails. Try doing that with hundreds of CD jewel cases. My portable hard drives are never connected to the internet, and rarely even connected to any computer, so security isn't really an issue.

Here's something else to consider: If I'm about to settle in for the evening and listen to music, my 54 year old eyes have a hard time going through hundreds of jewel case spines, with their myriad of color schemes and fonts. I find it much quicker and easier going through a folder tree list from my NAS, with its consistent font and color.
    Last edited by progmatist; 09-28-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Personally, I'd find it kind of a hassle to have to go to the bank to play an album.

But if your house burns down, you'll wish you had copies of your albums in a bank safe.

If my house burnt down, I'd have nothing to play them on.