Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson Live in Philly

King Crimson Live in Philly

Progressive icons King Crimson blew my mind once again at The Met Philly last night. See my review now. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-gCH
    Btw, I sought out a thread on this tour but couldn't find it. Sorry if this is redundant.

Thanks for identifying the little snippet of the Ellington piece that Collins played. I knew I knew what it was, but it left my brain before I could ID it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Thanks for identifying the little snippet of the Ellington piece that Collins played. I knew I knew what it was, but it left my brain before I could ID it.
    Hate to admit it, but the same thing happened to me. I called a friend and hummed it to him to get the ID.

Saw them a couple years ago in Dallas for the first time ever. Gotta say it's in my top 5 shows, musical-wise. They were flawless.

That was an excellent show. I think the picture thing is a real joke. The amount of money people pay for shows they should have something to remember being there. Went to after show and Tony and Pat came out but they were interested in talking to who they wanted to so we split.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The "picture thing" is an attempt to get people to participate in the moment rather than peering through bits of technology and missing it. Fripp is not allergic to being photographed at the right time; he holds, however, that while playing music that requires attention on the part of both musician and audience is not the right time. I can't really disagree with his logic.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

I look forward to reading the OP's review. (Thank you.)

My show in Oakland was simply stunning.

And "the picture thing" is a refreshing change to the terribly bad cell-phone behavior at most shows.
    As usual, Mr. Fripp was way ahead of the curve when he started expressing his concern years ago.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I look forward to reading the OP's review. (Thank you.)

My show in Oakland was simply stunning.

And "the picture thing" is a refreshing change to the terribly bad cell-phone behavior at most shows.
    As usual, Mr. Fripp was way ahead of the curve when he started expressing his concern years ago.
    I saw Fripp (and the League Of Gentlemen) in a club in Quebec in 1980 or was it 1979? I dropped acid with my then girlfriend and we freaked out when Fripp and the band stopped playing and threatened to leave the stage if the person taking pictures didn't stop. It's a bit extreme IMHO.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

When did Fripp’s obsession with not being photographed kick in? In a recording at the Marquee on August 10 1971 he actually says to a member of the audience: “Your flash bulb did not work, sir. I should replace it quickly. I’ll even give you my best side if you replace it straight away.”

Damn! I keep hearing this tour is great. Shucks, KC not playing my town. I envy everyone of you, who see KC this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The "picture thing" is an attempt to get people to participate in the moment rather than peering through bits of technology and missing it. Fripp is not allergic to being photographed at the right time; he holds, however, that while playing music that requires attention on the part of both musician and audience is not the right time. I can't really disagree with his logic.
    At last night's Hackett show there was a couple near the front who both seemed to spend most of their time viewing the show through their respective viewfinders.

Tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    You weren't allowed to take any pictures before the show even started. And at the end when Tony picks up his camera every "Meathead and Greet" person in the first five rows are holding up their merch bags or poster faces on sticks.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

At last night's Hackett show there was a couple near the front who both seemed to spend most of their time viewing the show through their respective viewfinders.
    I don't get the camera thing. I get it theoretically, but not on a personal level.

My wife and I were at the Philly show. I hadn't seen the band in 45 years, so when once again their tour ignored Florida, we decided to travel to them. We picked Philly because that was the only place on the US tour (except for Cleveland) that we'd never been. It turns out Philly is a beautiful city with lots to see and do. We had a great time there.

As for the concert, wow, there just aren't enough superlatives to adequately describe it. I don't think there is another band that combines power and precision like KC does. The coordination among the drumsons is remarkable. Everyone was on top of their game. There were so many highlights, but TCOTCK with the coda blew me away - Pat was a monster, as was Gavin on Schizoid, which I thought was better than on any of the live releases from this band that I've heard. LTIA 4 & 5, Starless, Elektrik, all fabulous. My wife is not very knowledgeable about music, but was highly impressed. I think her favorite was LTIA5.

This is a band not to miss. We are already planning to see them again next year, somewhere.

The coda caught us off guard last night. There was a long pause, so the crowd rose to give a standing o. Then after a bit, the sound of the coda starting, and us feeling a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The coda caught us off guard last night. There was a long pause, so the crowd rose to give a standing o. Then after a bit, the sound of the coda starting, and us feeling a bit silly.
    When I play it on the air, I always get out before the coda. It's a better ending.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There was a premature ovation near the end of Sailor's Tale the first time I saw the big lineup a few years ago, completely drowning out Rieflin's mellotron ending, as though people are not familiar with the material.

From a compositional standpoint, Echoes, you may be right about TCOTCK coda. But the coda adds so much cool stuff, especially the drumming.

Show of the year for me!

I'm sorry, but "boo hoo" about your cell phone pictures. Seriously can we drop it already? If you want to see quality photos of the show, why not visit Tony Levin's page? There's a ton from every show for YEARS. Unless I have a pro quality camera and have the access and ability to move around at will during a show snapping pictures, nothing I take from my seat is going to hold any special meaning after the fact.

Your ticket gives you the access to the show, period. If someone doesn't like the artist's requests than don't go. Fripp's policy has been known for years, so it should be no surprise to anyone.

I'm sure to get some snide comments back, but that is just the fact. You don't get the "right" to record the show with the purchase of your ticket.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    I'm sorry, but "boo hoo" about your cell phone pictures. Seriously can we drop it already? If you want to see quality photos of the show, why not visit Tony Levin's page? There's a ton from every show for YEARS. Unless I have a pro quality camera and have the access and ability to move around at will during a show snapping pictures, nothing I take from my seat is going to hold any special meaning after the fact.

Your ticket gives you the access to the show, period. If someone doesn't like the artist's requests than don't go. Fripp's policy has been known for years, so it should be no surprise to anyone.

I'm sure to get some snide comments back, but that is just the fact. You don't get the "right" to record the show with the purchase of your ticket.
    When Roger Waters was touring The Wall a few years back, he was being interviewed on 60 minutes. He made the point that millions had been spent to make the show, the spectacle as big as possible, and everyone is spending the show watching all this through the 2 inch by 2 inch screen of their cell phones.

I completely agree with him.

How many people actually go back and re-watch their lo-rez, shaky cam, crappy tinny-sounding footage of the concert? I would guess less than 1%.
    Man you guys take awfully seriously a bunch of pampered, spoiled twenty and thirty something year old jocks earning millions of dollars to play a game running up and down a field. Why do you care so much about these guys to the point of arguing with each other. Do you think they care an iota about you?

Bartellb on pro football

There was a premature ovation near the end of Sailor's Tale the first time I saw the big lineup a few years ago, completely drowning out Rieflin's mellotron ending, as though people are not familiar with the material.
    For my show in Oakland the crowd roared its approval for "In the Court of the Crimson King" prematurely (just before the quiet calliope organ flourish). I too thought "don't these die-hard fans remember the details for THE most popular track by KC??" But later when researching things I came across a reference to them adding that bit back in recently...apparently when they played it in the past they omitted that bit so perhaps the experienced KC concert goers in the crowd were fooled (for a good reason).
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:45 PM.

^ That's exactly the case, but it still wasn't a good look for us Crim fans.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    When Roger Waters was touring The Wall a few years back, he was being interviewed on 60 minutes. He made the point that millions had been spent to make the show, the spectacle as big as possible, and everyone is spending the show watching all this through the 2 inch by 2 inch screen of their cell phones.
    I sat a few rows behind a jackass who didn't look up from his phone once at that show.