Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: King Crimson Live in Philly

  1. #26
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    There was a premature ovation near the end of Sailor's Tale the first time I saw the big lineup a few years ago, completely drowning out Rieflin's mellotron ending, as though people are not familiar with the material.
    Last night I checked the recent releases, and the Orpheum show from '14 has the same thing happening; as the guitar part ends there's a momentary quiet section before the mellotron kicks in and the crowd starts cheering, but the subsequent live releases that include Sailor's Tale have the mellotron kick in right away.

  2. #27
    Fripp could write a book (and might yet) about the uses of silence in music. King Crimson's music, noisy as it sometimes is, frequently features silent moments.

    And half the time, the punters just don't get it.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  3. #28
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Fripp could write a book (and might yet) about the uses of silence in music. King Crimson's music, noisy as it sometimes is, frequently features silent moments.
    Always loved Fripp's aphorism, "Music is the cup that holds the wine of silence."

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Always loved Fripp's aphorism, "Music is the cup that holds the wine of silence."
    Would have been ballsier if he said, "Music is the cup that protects the balls of silence."

  5. #30
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Always loved Fripp's aphorism, "Music is the cup that holds the wine of silence."
    I guess Andrew Keeling liked it, too.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Show of the year for me!
    Probably.

    I don't have adequate words to describe it.

    I have never witnessed about 70 percent of that set ever before and going in I really wouldn't have cared to hear most of it as until maybe the last 25 years or so it was far from my favorite era of the band. It was mostly all brought to life at the Met. The Court of the Crimson King may have been the only song that didn't rise from the ashes although they gave it their best shot.

    This might have been my favorite Crimson show ever (Been about 10 years since I saw them last). It really was a religious experience. (As most Crimson shows are.)

  7. #32
    W.P.O.D. Dan Marsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Media, PA
    Posts
    130
    I always get a kick out of the yahoos that are in the front row for a baseball game......THE FRONT ROW and every time some of them are shown on camera they are on their cell phones.....it drives me fucking insane when that happens.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I always get a kick out of the yahoos that are in the front row for a baseball game......THE FRONT ROW and every time some of them are shown on camera they are on their cell phones.....it drives me fucking insane when that happens.
    That was going on near the back too where we were although I can't say it bothered me much as the time. I was a little distracted by what was happening on stage.

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    42
    As long as it lasts. King Crimson live in Rio 2019. Professional video!!

  10. #35
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    210
    I love that Fripp doesn't let people take their camera out except that one time at the end.
    I absolutely hate assholes holding up their shitty phones and blocking my view to record a video they will never watch.

    On a side note, I live Crimson in 2017, but saw Bent Knee and thought their one drummer was even more exciting to watch than the three drummers in Crimson.
    Most of the time I want one of the drummers to stop playing because it's almost too much

  11. #36
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulo View Post
    As long as it lasts. King Crimson live in Rio 2019. Professional video!!
    Watched the full video. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Right Coast
    Posts
    460
    Thanks for the link. Watching the LA/Washington game with the headphones on. Amazing how KC is always changing the songs up.

  13. #38
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    210
    What happened to writing new songs?
    Yeah they're all three great drummers, but that first thing is boring.
    I'm a drummer and I still get bored

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulo View Post
    As long as it lasts. King Crimson live in Rio 2019. Professional video!!
    Ach ! missed it !

    There are a few bits of it here :
    http://multishow.globo.com/especiais...a-da-banda.htm
    Last edited by unclemeat; 1 Week Ago at 07:28 AM.

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    What happened to writing new songs?
    Yeah they're all three great drummers, but that first thing is boring.
    I'm a drummer and I still get bored
    They've written at least a dozen new songs and "pieces" since the beginning of this incarnation; they just don't release them as studio recordings, for reasons best known to Mr. Fripp. (But I should guess that it's a combination of the logistics of getting all the members into the studio, and the not-unjustified belief that Crimson material sounds better live anyway.)

    As for the triple drummer thing, chacun á son gout and all that, but I'm not a drummer and I enjoy the hell out of it. (Especially in the moment, where I can watch them toss the riffs back and forth like very loud ping-pong balls.) I confess that once or twice in last month's show, I felt the drums were overwhelming the rest of the band, but that is more of a mix issue than anything else.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  16. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Ach ! missed it !

    There are a few bits of it here :
    http://multishow.globo.com/especiais...a-da-banda.htm
    Somehow it is ON again.


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

  17. #42
    I'm sure there will be further take-downs and re-ups...

    If you search-machine it, you'll find a more current version on YT, only a couple of hours old. But be quick or prepared to wait longer!
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

  18. #43
    Holy crap I love what Jeremy is doing on the piano during Red.

  19. #44
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    953
    Jeremy sure is some secret sauce.

  20. #45
    I like that black & white "King Crimson" background they have for this show. They should keep it and use it for future shows.

  21. #46
    Matt! polmico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Holy crap I love what Jeremy is doing on the piano during Red.
    Yep! That was a great surprise when I saw them a few weeks back. Glad the drummers brought back the swinging groove to the song and abandoned the military drum line arrangement.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulo View Post
    Somehow it is ON again.

    with most of the audio from "21st csm" removed...

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Yep! That was a great surprise when I saw them a few weeks back. Glad the drummers brought back the swinging groove to the song and abandoned the military drum line arrangement.



    totally



    I was not a fan of that arrangement either
    2trevorsforlife

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Holy crap I love what Jeremy is doing on the piano during Red.
    Yes, that was really great! It really adds a lot of tension to that last chorus. It's also a nice nod to what Keith Tippet was doing in Cat Food. The mellotron also works really well during the buildup parts with Mel Collins soloing over it. It all sounds a bit like an alternate reality where Red had been recorded by the Poseidon line up... It's not necesarilly better or worse than the original version, but it's different enough to be interesting in its own way as any good live version should be anyway...

    Actually I have a personal anecdote about that...

    Back in 2009 my band Mahtrak was playing a big Prog Festival in Rio de Janeiro, and we decided to throw a bone at the Prog audience by playing something they might recognize. So we decided to play Red, to which everyone in the band agreed immediatelly. Then everyone set out to learn their parts so we could play it at our next rehearsal. Since I play the keyboards and there are no keyboards in this song, it was very clear to me since the beginning that I simply should not play anything at all. I felt that any keyboards I might try to add would just water it down and make it less powerful. When we arrived at the rehearsal and started playing it, I did not play at all, so the band stopped and asked if I didn't have time to learn it. I said that I did, but there was nothing for me to play on it. They scratched their heads for a while and then someone said:

    - But I thought you loved this song!
    - Yes, of course I do!
    - But you refuse to play it!
    - No, there's just nothing for me to play at all!

    After some further head scratching, someone suggested:

    - Ok then, let's choose another song...
    - Why???
    - Well, you don't want to play this one....
    - I never said that... I think we should keep it, it sounds terrific!

    Some more head scratching ensued, then they just shrugged and went on to play the whole thing. And it did sound terrific with just the power trio of guitar, bass and drums. To me that's how it was supposed to sound, and I just felt happy to "contribute silence", to paraphase Fripp. I really couldn't hear any keyboard parts that would work with Red, being such an iconic guitar driven song. You know, don't mess with perfection...

    It took 10 years for King Crimson themselves to finally come to Brazil and prove me wrong...
    Last edited by pmrviana; 1 Week Ago at 04:31 PM.
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

  25. #50
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    Yes, that was really great! It really adds a lot of tension to that last chorus. It's also a nice nod to what Keith Tippet was doing in Cat Food. The mellotron also works really well during the buildup parts with Mel Collins soloing over it. It all sounds a bit like an alternate reality where Red had been recorded by the Poseidon line up... It's not necesarilly better or worse than the original version, but it's different enough to be interesting in its own way as any good live version should be anyway...

    Actually I have a personal anecdote about that...

    Back in 2009 my band Mahtrak was playing a big Prog Festival in Rio de Janeiro, and we decided to throw a bone at the Prog audience by playing something they might recognize. So we decided to play Red, to which everyone in the band agreed immediatelly. Then everyone set out to learn their parts so we could play it at our next rehearsal. Since I play the keyboards and there are no keyboards in this song, it was very clear to me since the beginning that I simply should not play anything at all. I felt that any keyboards I might try to add would just water it down and make it less powerful. When we arrived at the rehearsal and started playing it, I did not play at all, so the band stopped and asked if I didn't have time to learn it. I said that I did, but there was nothing for me to play on it. They scratched their heads for a while and then someone said:

    - But I thought you loved this song!
    - Yes, of course I do!
    - But you refuse to play it!
    - No, there's just nothing for me to play at all!

    After some further head scratching, someone suggested:

    - Ok then, let's choose another song...
    - Why???
    - Well, you don't want to play this one....
    - I never said that... I think we should keep it, it sounds terrific!

    Some more head scratching ensued, then they just shrugged and went on to play the whole thing. And it did sound terrific with just the power trio of guitar, bass and drums. To me that's how it was supposed to sound, and I just felt happy to "contribute silence", to paraphase Fripp. I really couldn't hear any keyboard parts that would work with Red, being such an iconic guitar driven song. You know, don't mess with perfection...

    I took 10 years for King Crimson themselves to finally come to Brazil and prove me wrong...
    What a great post, Paulo!
    Thank you!

    Bruford has some great thoughts about contributing only silence to a track (and getting paid for it because Fripp wanted the entire band to get royalties).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •