Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New TRANSATLANTIC album in the works

New TRANSATLANTIC album in the works

Just posted to their official social media pages:

Is It Really Happening? 🚀
    Morse, Portnoy, Trewavas, Stolt - Varnhem, Sweden - September 24th 2019

ta.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Please god, let it be long! And in an expensive EarBook!

Is it really going to last ?
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

please let it be much better then the last one!

Let it be an atmospheric, understated, slow-burner co-produced by Brian Eno.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Me interested. Thanks for posting.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Auto buy.

I'm not buying it unless the drums sound like a piledriver is slamming into them incessantly.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

On no.

I hope they will try to go for something slightly different this time, rather than a Bridge Across Forever part 3. My hopes are not very high though.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I hope they will try to go for something slightly different this time, rather than a Bridge Across Forever part 3. My hopes are not very high though.
    I’d take SMPT:e part 2, where they seemed to put more effort into the songwriting. I am not very optimistic though and can see a press release that promotes “an epic concept spanning 2CDs!!!!!!!”.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

At least with Transatlantic I get a more vague spirituality in the lyrics as opposed to a particular sect of one religion.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Lord, I pray that in your infinite wisdom you will grant us an hour-long making-of video.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    And a bonus disc of "prog rock remakes"?
    Chad

And then, a Neal Morse mix and a Roine Stolte mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I’d take SMPT:e part 2, where they seemed to put more effort into the songwriting. I am not very optimistic though and can see a press release that promotes “an epic concept spanning 2CDs!!!!!!!”.
    Add in "a return to form" and no one will be able to resist, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Oh, you foolish people. Many of you think Prog is short for "progressive" and therefore attempt to poo-poo any band that employs the shock and awe of the Golden Era. Silly.

Here's the thing: you know EXACTLY what you're getting with Morse/Portnoy. EPICS!!! And lots of melodies. Tons of hooks. Thundering percussion. Sprirtually uplifting lyrics.

I am of the belief that Giant Steps was the last truly progressive record made anyway so why not just enjoy a tall, cool glass of comfort Prog?

Or not.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    please let it be much better then the last one!
    Sing to the chorus.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I am of the belief that Giant Steps was the last truly progressive record made anyway...
    Clearly you have yet to hear Metal Machine Music.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Yep. I've always liked their first one the best, and I think All Of The Above is still the best thing they've ever done. Having said that, I enjoyed everything they've done, though the last album really didn't do much for me. I felt like they just kind of phoned it in. I think that may be why there was such a long time between that one and this one. I suspect that one or more members were hoping that some time away would fuel more interesting compositions. Probably a false hope, but we'll see.

The thing is, I don't listen to a band like TA for originality or "progressiveness". I suppose that's probably obvious to most people, but still they managed to make 3 pretty enjoyable albums of very similar material. The last one though, just felt like it relied a bit too much on Morse and Stolt's personal formulas or something. Maybe I'm just tired of that general approach? I don't know. I will undoubtedly pick up this album and give it a fair listen, but I stopped being excited about their new releases after the second one (even with the huge gap between albums 2 and 3, I wasn't expecting much, and it took me several listens to decide I even liked the 3rd one).

Maybe I've finally had my fill of derivative symph-prog? We'll see.

I always like what this group of guys comes up with. I love Trewavas' playing on all four albums especially.

Writing/recording in Sweden is certainly a change of scenery from Neal's house in Tennessee for the umpteenth time. I wonder how they arrived at that decision?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm game for this. It's about the only context in which I can take Morse and Portnoy anymore (well, this and Flying Colors). I wasn't nuts about Kaleidoscope, but it had its moments. The Whirlwind was probably my favorite, but each one has stuff I enjoyed -- when I'm in the right mood, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Let it be an atmospheric, understated, slow-burner co-produced by Brian Eno.
    Like the last 3 minutes of All of the Above extended into a 68-minute atmospheric workout.
    I got a great title for it.
    Bright Star.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Writing/recording in Sweden is certainly a change of scenery from Neal's house in Tennessee for the umpteenth time. I wonder how they arrived at that decision?
    Who knows, maybe that might shift the balance a bit to more Stolt and less Morse? That would definitely change the band's sound somewhat.

I'm all in for this of course!

WOW - TFK double that isn't even out yet, Neal did 2 double albums this year (GA and The Exorcist), Flying Colors just landed and now this. The creativity and drive in these chaps is amazing.

I've got high hopes for this - Like others I didn't think Kaleidoscope was up to their usual standards. But Neal has really been on a roll, TSoaD and TGA both are fantastic. Manifesto and Sea Within were both good from Stolt. Time seems right for this.

Wonder what if anything this means for Anderson/Stolt 2? or maybe at the rate they are going that will be next weeks big announcement.