Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New TRANSATLANTIC album in the works

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Just Mike ? Not Pete ? And his *vocal stylings* ?
    Pete's voice isn't the greatest but I like when he gets an occasional lead line. Mike's voice is just too Lawn Guyland!
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Pete's voice isn't the greatest but I like when he gets an occasional lead line. Mike's voice is just too Lawn Guyland!
    I love Mike, and I don't mind when they give him a line here or there, but he should not be singing lead on full songs, especially ballads IMO. Pete can just about manage it, but really, they should give the lead vocals to Roine and Neal, and let the four of them have their Beatles "oooohh" and "aaahh" backing vocal moments together.

I'm sorry Mike, you're just not a lead singer. I'm not either!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

They make Mike's voice passable on his lead lines on the studio albums, but when he's on stage drumming and singing a lead line LIVE.... OO FAH!

Although both Pete and Mike have inferior singing voices there can be no doubt that they are crucial to the overall sound - much like Steve Howe's (awful) vocals are part of the charm of YES. Did I just compare Transatlantic to YES? And Pete has actually brought some of TA's most memorable melodies to the table. And with Mike you get the best Prog arranger around. His input is indispensable.

But again, this is a band and each member helps make the whole.

(Yeah, I'm a little excited about this.)
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    And Pete has actually brought some of TA's most memorable melodies to the table. And with Mike you get the best Prog arranger around. His input is indispensable.
    Agreed! I was most impressed with a scene from one of the "making of" videos, I think it was the first one, where Mike is seen mapping out all the sections to an epic with a marker on paper and making sure everyone knows what they're doing. You need a guy like that in a band. I was usually that guy in my bands because otherwise everyone is sitting around going, "What are we doing? I dunno, what do you wanna do?"

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Did I just compare Transatlantic to YES?
    Do we need to start a thread about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Agreed! I was most impressed with a scene from one of the "making of" videos, I think it was the first one, where Mike is seen mapping out all the sections to an epic with a marker on paper and making sure everyone knows what they're doing. You need a guy like that in a band. I was usually that guy in my bands because otherwise everyone is sitting around going, "What are we doing? I dunno, what do you wanna do?"
    Then you get accused of being bossy.

Wow, this could mean a new Tour will follow.. They have not toured since the ‘Kaleidoscope’ 2014 World Tour!

Please come to Montreal like the band has done before, I've never seen these guys, hoping and wishing for 2020...

2020 will also be their 20th anniversary.

My New World from Live In America came up on random last night, and I hadn't remember just how bad the backing vocals sounded on that. That short tour in the US had no Daniel or other additional musician, just the 4 band members. Both Roine and Neal sound pretty good on there vocally (though not perfect), but Mike and Pete's backing vocals are quite poor. Obviously, they've both improved since then, though I still think they should stay on backing vocals. Pete I thought sounded really good on his lead vocal in the original studio version of Stranger In Your Soul though. While Mike has improved, I still really just wish he wouldn't do any lead vocals at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    That's pretty much my view as well. When I rib them, it's affectionate ribbing. If I actually had any real dislike for them I probably wouldn't comment or joke around at all.

Yeah, I have always loved poking fun at my favorite genre(s). One of the problems with prog is that many fans and bands have taken it WAY too seriously over the years (I used to be one of those people that thought of it as "serious" music). I think the Spinal Tap aspect is part of the enjoyment of it. I've gotten the sense from the various members of TA that they also don't take it too seriously (though I assume they take their playing and composing seriously, which is as it should be). I can't be the only prog fan that loved the old Glitzy Cape on line magazine, can I? ;-)

Never had a problem with Mike's vocals unless he enters the cookie monster zone.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    My New World from Live In America came up on random last night, and I hadn't remember just how bad the backing vocals sounded on that. That short tour in the US had no Daniel or other additional musician, just the 4 band members. Both Roine and Neal sound pretty good on there vocally (though not perfect), but Mike and Pete's backing vocals are quite poor. Obviously, they've both improved since then, though I still think they should stay on backing vocals. Pete I thought sounded really good on his lead vocal in the original studio version of Stranger In Your Soul though. While Mike has improved, I still really just wish he wouldn't do any lead vocals at all.
    Who sang those awful lead vocals during one of the loveliest passages of Transatlantic music there is, in the middle of "Kaleidoscope?"

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Who sang those awful lead vocals during one of the loveliest passages of Transatlantic music there is, in the middle of "Kaleidoscope?"
    Pete

posted this link in the TFK thread but it bears repeating.

Check out this interview with Roine: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/fe...e-rider-stolt/

Written transcript as well as audio. Very very interesting and good interview. Lots on information on the recently completed Transatlantic sessions, also TFK.
    Find out the real reason they went to Sweden to write and record - it's surprising.