Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 64

Thread: New TRANSATLANTIC album in the works

  1. #26
    Whirlwind is my favorite. Always love more Transatlantic!!

  2. #27
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Lord, I pray that in your infinite wisdom you will grant us an hour-long making-of video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    And a bonus disc of "prog rock remakes"?
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And then, a Neal Morse mix and a Roine Stolte mix.
    ...along with the Blu-Ray of the making of the making of the drum-cam from the sessions.

  3. #28
    I love the first two albums. They just seemed more unpredictable and in a way - jarring of styles - in that they didn't really agree much on what direction the band should go in, or what bits to use or not not use. Roine thought they should do more improv and didn't like the structure, Mike pushed for more Beatlesque sounds, and Neal hated the Procol Harum cover. They argued a lot on tour. Things seemed to matter more. But then they took a 7 year hiatus, and the music became a lot more formulated, content, and business as usual. I didn't feel any spark out the latter two records. It's as if they knew these discs just made money no matter what, so who cares? Just makes some epics and they will come.

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    A Swedish Prog-Elk
    Posts
    115
    Well, I do have their earlier albums so I might as well get this one also
    Last edited by Hour Candle; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:15 PM.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    ...along with the Blu-Ray of the making of the making of the drum-cam from the sessions.
    Mike used joke that they might be the only band that had more live albums than studio albums.

    It's a formula Neal has taken too. Often coming out with 2 live offerings from every tour he does. I know, I worked on them.

  6. #31
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Neal hated the Procol Harum cover. They argued a lot on tour.
    I didn't know either of those things! Interesting...
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I didn't know either of those things! Interesting...
    Yeah. Neal didn't want to do the Procol Harum cover at all. I can also tell you from private video I have, that the band wanted to cover Heart of The Sunrise on the BAF tour. Everyone learned their parts for it, except for Neal who blew it off because he didn't want to do that one either. That started a huge argument in rehearsals. I have video of Neal bitching about it in his hotel room, insofar as him saying it's becoming a struggle and he doesn't "need" to do Transatlantic. There's also video footage of Mike having a total meltdown during soundcheck in Hamburg (I think)... though I was never able to secure that footage. I almost included the Neal bit in the "TA Live Bootleg DVD" I produced, but it kind of dragged the whole mood of the DVD down, so I left it off. Roine also never fit in well with the two bossy American guys, and didn't really know how to deal with them at first. He gave me an earful one day. But I tell you, Roine really cared about quality, and he really cared about the fans. It was interesting working with him on a few projects.

    They're all good guys. My point is there seemed to be more conflict and struggle with the first two albums - which brought out something unique. Whereas when they reformed, it seemed like they were just in it because it's a great vehicle for product.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:42 PM.

  8. #33
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    the band wanted to cover Heart of The Sunrise on the BAF tour.
    Um... exactly WHICH one of these guys has the voice to sing "Heart of the Sunrise"?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yeah. Neal didn't want to do the Procol Harum cover at all.
    And yet I love the vocal melody he sings on the first part, which was spoken on the Procol original.

    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Roine also never fit in well with the two bossy American guys, and didn't really know how to deal with them at first.
    Wouldn't that give credit to the idea that if they're recording in Sweden, the two bossy americans might be more willing to do things on Roine's terms?

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Wouldn't that give credit to the idea that if they're recording in Sweden, the two bossy americans might be more willing to do things on Roine's terms?
    Now that would be very interesting to me. Roine is my favorite of the four guys, musically speaking at least. Not a knock on the others of course, it’s just personal preference really. Pete actually came up with my favorite part/theme on The Whirlwind.

  11. #36
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,782
    I didn’t realize you were involved in the production of the DVD. Good job with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    They're all good guys. My point is there seemed to be more conflict and struggle with the first two albums - which brought out something unique. Whereas when they reformed, it seemed like they were just in it because it's a great vehicle for product.
    I think you’re onto something here.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Um... exactly WHICH one of these guys has the voice to sing "Heart of the Sunrise"?
    I guess we'll never know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I didn’t realize you were involved in the production of the DVD. Good job with that.
    Thanks! Man, it's been a long time now. Yeah, the Bootleg DVD was my puppy, it was 100% me. It came about when Neal sent me all his home videos from the BAF tour. He wanted me to look through them for bonus clips we could use on the Live In America DVD. Which was an upgrade from the original VHS. Not sure if anyone noticed, but Roine re-did his entire guitar track for the DVD release, since it was lost on the original recording. I worked exclusively with Roine on that.

    If I recall there were about 8 hours of home video Neal recorded. Yet, only room for about 10 minutes of bonus clips on that America release. I pieced together in my mind what would be a great home-movie release, and started to assemble it. The idea in my mind, since the band had broken up - that this would be the last remaining memento from the band. I had no idea they would ever reform, because Neal had sworn of returning to making devil music. I brought up the idea to Neal and he was on board. So, he connected me with Portnoy (who didn't know me at the time) and I asked him for DAT tapes of certain shows we had on film. He balked at the idea and refused, but wanted me to send him what I was working on. Then he fell in love with it!! Mike started giving me a few ideas and sending me tapes. He also sent me an entire pro camera shoot of the Hamburg show. Very raw, there where only two cameras. However the guy who filmed it was a dick and wanted money for it, and since this was a low budget fan-club release, there was no way. So, that show just sits in my private collection. To my surprise, by the time I finished the DVD, the band announced their reunion and they used my DVD as tour merch at the shows. But, it was never intended as that, and I believe the impact of being a "last memento" was lost, to be a cheap merch item to sell to fans. I put a lot of love into it for very little monetary reward.

  13. #38
    On a somewhat serious sidenote:

    When I make fun of certain aspects of an artist's sound, it is for me akin to attending the roast of a particular celebrity. The remarks and jokes might cut close to the bone and seem downright mean, but it is not coming from a place of hate. I'm merely pointing out certain things that come across as cliches or signatures of the artist. It's meant in good fun.

    I very much enjoy comfort music no matter the genre as much as I like hearing something new that piques my interest. However, piling on to roast a particular artist is part and parcel of internet culture since forever.

    That said, I look forward to the record. I'll listen as I have their other albums and see what happens.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  14. #39
    Old man of prog
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Haven
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And then, a Neal Morse mix and a Roine Stolte mix.
    ...and there's always the inevitable Mike Portnoy "drum-cam" video...

  15. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    94
    CTTE 2020 already has Marillion, Flying Colors, The Flower Kings and Pain of Salvation confirmed to play...

    Anyone want to predict the live debut of new Transatlantic material then?

    It obviously provide a rare opportunity for the full original touring lineup to get together!

  16. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    CTTE 2020 already has Marillion, Flying Colors, The Flower Kings and Pain of Salvation confirmed to play...

    Anyone want to predict the live debut of new Transatlantic material then?

    It obviously provide a rare opportunity for the full original touring lineup to get together!
    It looks inevitable!

  17. #42
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    On a somewhat serious sidenote:

    When I make fun of certain aspects of an artist's sound, it is for me akin to attending the roast of a particular celebrity. The remarks and jokes might cut close to the bone and seem downright mean, but it is not coming from a place of hate. I'm merely pointing out certain things that come across as cliches or signatures of the artist. It's meant in good fun.

    I very much enjoy comfort music no matter the genre as much as I like hearing something new that piques my interest. However, piling on to roast a particular artist is part and parcel of internet culture since forever.

    That said, I look forward to the record. I'll listen as I have their other albums and see what happens.

    That's pretty much my view as well. When I rib them, it's affectionate ribbing. If I actually had any real dislike for them I probably wouldn't comment or joke around at all.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Um... exactly WHICH one of these guys has the voice to sing "Heart of the Sunrise"?
    Well, they did "And You And I" didn't they?
    But "Heart of the Sunrise" is quite a different beast, vocally. Portnoy and Trewavas intro interplay... could only imagine now.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

  19. #44
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    Well, they did "And You And I" didn't they?
    But "Heart of the Sunrise" is quite a different beast, vocally. Portnoy and Trewavas intro interplay... could only imagine now.
    They also did the entire Revealing Science Of God live - but then, that was with Jon Anderson singing.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  20. #45
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,343
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Um... exactly WHICH one of these guys has the voice to sing "Heart of the Sunrise"?
    That's right up Portnoy's alley.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  21. #46
    Let the heathen rage, another auto buy for me!! I want my comfort prog!

    My only request is that Mike not get any lead vocal lines.
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  22. #47
    Just Mike ? Not Pete ? And his *vocal stylings* ?

  23. #48
    Member dgtlman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    And a bonus disc of "prog rock remakes"?
    Let's hope not

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Neal hated the Procol Harum cover.
    That's strange. I bet then that it was Neal who refused to include the Teatime At the Circus bit, which I'm sure Roine would have enjoyed.

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yeah. Neal didn't want to do the Procol Harum cover at all. I can also tell you from private video I have, that the band wanted to cover Heart of The Sunrise on the BAF tour. Everyone learned their parts for it, except for Neal who blew it off because he didn't want to do that one either. That started a huge argument in rehearsals. I have video of Neal bitching about it in his hotel room, insofar as him saying it's becoming a struggle and he doesn't "need" to do Transatlantic. There's also video footage of Mike having a total meltdown during soundcheck in Hamburg (I think)... though I was never able to secure that footage. I almost included the Neal bit in the "TA Live Bootleg DVD" I produced, but it kind of dragged the whole mood of the DVD down, so I left it off. Roine also never fit in well with the two bossy American guys, and didn't really know how to deal with them at first. He gave me an earful one day. But I tell you, Roine really cared about quality, and he really cared about the fans. It was interesting working with him on a few projects.

    They're all good guys. My point is there seemed to be more conflict and struggle with the first two albums - which brought out something unique. Whereas when they reformed, it seemed like they were just in it because it's a great vehicle for product.
    Didn't know that. Makes total sense and might have been one factor in the first hiatus. I'm sure Neal had an eye toward establishing his solo career too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •