Thread: My new all-instrumental album available

My new all-instrumental album available

Hi, it's called The Gardens of Beastley Manor, The CD is available from ReR (rermegacorp.com), and soon from your fave distributor of ReR titles, and you can listen to and/or buy the download on my personal Bandcamp page: https://bdstudio.bandcamp.com/album/...beastley-manor

For fans of old monophonic synths, one of the main voices throughout the album is my Korg MS20. Other instruments include piano, 5-string banjo, Farfisa organ, a set of little chromatic handbells, alto and tenor recorders, electric and acoustic guitars, bass, trombone and trumpet, a wee bit of violin, drums etc. A friend plays cello on one of the tracks too.

x
    BD

Nice!

I've been silent on this one for too long! Been listening to this often over the past few weeks.

Have to say I was very surprised hearing these songs for the first time, had not expected a record like this! More on the modern-composition side of things, but at the same time mainly quite minimal, and it all seems to play into the interaction of whatever few elements are present at any given time. It also seems like silence has a strong presence on this album, which is rare to see but very effective in use here.

Can really hear how this is a different kind of writing compared to previous BD records. I feel like this is a significant release in the BD continuum. The engineering on this is super clean and clear - the track elements aren't usually distorted or dirtied here, and most things seem to be presented in their most organic, natural sounding form. Of course it would be a masterclass in engineering though, just look whose album it is...

My favourites at this point are 'Terminal Vista', 'Under Sun and Silence', 'Beware The Well of Saint Untel', 'The Helpful Badger' & 'The Shape Tells The Tale'!!

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    I've been silent on this one for too long! Been listening to this often over the past few weeks.

Have to say I was very surprised hearing these songs for the first time
    Good!

mainly quite minimal, and it all seems to play into the interaction of whatever few elements are present at any given time.
    Yes exactly.

It also seems like silence has a strong presence on this album,
    Yes it does, very intentional! I wanted an overall clear, uncluttered and spacious "place" for the music, and I really love the silences. It always sounds good!

The engineering on this is super clean and clear - the track elements aren't usually distorted or dirtied here, and most things seem to be presented in their most organic, natural sounding form.
    Again that's exactly right, but that's true generally of my last several albums. It's more obvious on this one because of the generally minimal instrumentation and mostly acoustic sounds. I think of the electric guitars and bass as "acoustic" sounds too, because they are physically making sound from the amp's speaker in the room, and that's what is being recorded. The Farfisa organ as well, it has a built-in amp and speaker. The only instrument that isn't "acoustic" in that respect is the Korg MS20, which was plugged directly into the recording preamp, I wanted that very dry, plain, or plaintive sound from it.

Of course it would be a masterclass in engineering though, just look whose album it is...
    It's the utter simplicity of how I work that contributes a lot to a good clear sound. Learning about, and always having more experience in trying to write better tunes helps a lot too, there's no uncertainty about "why" a particular part of a song happens or what's supposed to be going on, looking to write tunes with a focus and a thread from beginning to end. That's the idea anyhow. Learning every day!

Really glad you're enjoying it and thanks for the comments!
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 09-24-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Me likee.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

It's fabulous, man. Very nicely done, as usual
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...