Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pete Townshend on The Who: "We're closer to prog-rock."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Unlike The Lamb, which is, like, still really kinda innovative today.
    You aren't seriously comparing the solid effort of Tommy with the masterpiece known as The Lamb, right?

^ Of course not! I'm not even comparing you to Rufus!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    What bait?
    !
    I was kidding (hence the smiley)

That was Trane who didn't need side 3, but I get mistook for him often.
    I think Scrot was referring to Side 3 of TFTO, which you brought in the debate

^ Of course not! I'm not even comparing you to Rufus!
    That would be fighting words, if you had.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Can't you explain why it is so important to get rid of side 3, 'shogun?
    It is my favourite side of Tales... [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    https://youtu.be/QpKhGNaiS6c

Here’s “All This Music Must Fade”, the second new track from the forthcoming Who album. It’s not prog, but Townshend has still got it.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Kicks a little ass, it does.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

75 year old rebels. Go down fightin', boys! Ya gotta love it...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I dig that single

I like that song. Has that Townshend anger and FU attitude.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post

Here’s “All This Music Must Fade”, the second new track from the forthcoming Who album. It’s not prog, but Townshend has still got it.
    I like it too , but prefer Ball & Chain released six weeks ago.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I like that song. Has that Townshend anger and FU attitude.
    Not enough for me, I'm afraid. I'm super happy Townshend and Roger Daltrey are making new music, but to my ears it's on par with the material on Face Dances or It's Hard. Still, the "FU" at the end was a nice touch.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Pete's Right
    Of course. That's why the girls never were crazy for The Who. Their music was 'Rock', never 'Prog', but they weren't just a 'rock'n'roll' band for a saturday night's fun. The Who were too "serious" and "heady" for stupid girls back then lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    https://youtu.be/QpKhGNaiS6c

Magnificent one. Rog's voice is incredible as well as Pete's riffs.

I cant say it enough...

Bands or artists are not "Prog" - its the music they produce thats either "progressive" or it isn't. If Yes performed happy birthday, would they be taken out of the "prog" category, flayed for "selling out" and had 200+ page arguments here on whether or not they deserved to be called "prog" any more? The who spanned Pop, hard rock and Prog, maybe even a bit of punk...

I recall Daltry - a few years back saying that it made no sense to put out new music. I'm glad he changed his mind.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I cant say it enough...

Bands or artists are not "Prog" - its the music they produce thats either "progressive" or it isn't. If Yes performed happy birthday, would they be taken out of the "prog" category, flayed for "selling out" and had 200+ page arguments here on whether or not they deserved to be called "prog" any more? The who spanned Pop, hard rock and Prog, maybe even a bit of punk...

I recall Daltry - a few years back saying that it made no sense to put out new music. I'm glad he changed his mind.
    At the time when The Who were a current band, they were considered as an antithesis of Prog Rock. As Rock became complex in the seventies, The Who were recorded a few songs that are "proggy" (as many non-prog artists did it at that time) but they weren't regarded as such. If you said in a pub back then that The Who are Prog Rock, you would be ridiculed.
    Now, in the era of multiplied tags, it doesn't matter anymore, but back then the genres were way more strictly constrained.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    In my "History of Prog" playlist a couple of the earliest tracks are "A Quick One While He's Away" and "Sparks".
    For me, it's 905.

^^^ One of Big Johnny Twinkle's best songs, certainly. Apparently it's from a "rock opera" he was working on but never finished; too damn bad.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ^^^ One of Big Johnny Twinkle's best songs, certainly. Apparently it's from a "rock opera" he was working on but never finished; too damn bad.
    I believe it's mentioned in the liner notes of the Who Are You remaster from the mid 90's (ya know, the one where Pete's freeloading brother-in-law tampered with the mixes) that he abandoned the "rock opera" because he realized the plot was too similar to Soylent Green, or something like that.

905 was always one of my favorites, I had that on one of the mix tapes I made and listened to incessantly when I was a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by superprog View Post
    At the time when The Who were a current band, they were considered as an antithesis of Prog Rock.
    I never heard that.

The Who recorded a few songs that are "proggy"
    They certainly did. Indeed, the whole idea of putting out records like Tommy and Quadrophenia was, I submit, "proggy", as well as certain tracks on both, and the formal musical structure of Quadrophenia. And, for that matter, the entire sound of The Who, which turned rock 'n roll convention upside down: Townshend held down the groove, Entwistle played fills and musical commentary, and Moon added excitement.

back then the genres were way more strictly constrained.
    I disagree. As you said yourself, "[They] recorded a few songs that are "proggy", as many non-prog artists did at that time". Maybe the pigeonholing by critics and fans was tighter, but the music wasn't: Pop or rock 'n roll or even R&B acts would record album tracks that could never make it as hit singles, and as long as the album sold and the two or three singles got airplay, nobody had any problem with that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Tommy and Quadrophenia
    I always wonder when younger listeners (I'm old) say that Quad sounds "proggy" to them. Maybe because of the use of a synthesizer? To these ears, only Doctor Jimmy sounds like that.
    Tommy, on the other hand, has nothing "proggy" for me. Rock opera as a sub-genre, not Prog Rock.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I've never listened to Tommy as songs. Which says a lot for the genius that Townsent is. This is probably the first double album in the history of rock music that cannot be listened as a sum of its parts.
    That's one of the reasons why I said above that Rock Opera is a sub-genre [of Rock]. And although а Rock Opera is not just a Rock album as a set of songs, where you can listen to and like certain songs and to skip some forever, it's not Prog Rock. And Prog Rock Opera is something else.

Btw, Quad is a concept album not a Rock Opera.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Many of the Big 70's band were eclectic - as someone said, each album had many different styles, whether blues, acoustic, hard rock, use of synths and mellotrons, experimentation, which is diametrically opposed many bands, eg, ACDC, who make the same album year after year ( "not that there is anything wrong with that").

But . . . Most were not symphonic with multiple sections, different themes, instrumental sections that were not just soloing over a verse or chorus riff.

I like them all because each were unique. Take Who's Next and Zep IV - each song is like a different band playing the song).
    You perfectly explained the nature of the 1970s Rock!

That's one of the reasons why I said above that Rock Opera is a sub-genre [of Rock]. And although а Rock Opera is not just a Rock album as a set of songs, where you can listen to and like certain songs and to skip some forever, it's not Prog Rock. And Prog Rock Opera is something else.
    Fiddler On the Roof is as prog as anything The Who put out.

Fiddler On the Roof is as prog as anything The Who put out.
    Fiddle About. Fiddle About
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Fiddle About. Fiddle About
    Unlike original 1969 album, Tommy Soundtrack has some "proggy" moments imo.