Thread: Midnight Oil Recording Music For Possible 2020 Album Release

Midnight Oil Recording Music For Possible 2020 Album Release

This is probably old news, but I just found out about it and I can't be the only one. Very welcome news:

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...oil-new-album/
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I'm sure Cyndi Lauper will be excited to hear this...!

^ Don't see the connection at all.

Their first two international releases - 10.....1 and Red Sails - were great. Not quite prog, not quite classic rock, not quite New Wave, but music that took the best of all of them. Rock that followed its own rules, songs that worked their own way, and all the better for it. After that they seemed to lose some of the originality, and lost my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Their first two international releases - 10.....1 and Red Sails - were great. Not quite prog, not quite classic rock, not quite New Wave, but music that took the best of all of them. Rock that followed its own rules, songs that worked their own way, and all the better for it. After that they seemed to lose some of the originality, and lost my interest.
    I agree. Zaragon ranks Red Sails as his number one album of 1984, and he's evaluated more than 600 albums from that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Not quite prog, not quite classic rock, not quite New Wave, but music that took the best of all of them. Rock that followed its own rules, songs that worked their own way, and all the better for it. After that they seemed to lose some of the originality, and lost my interest.
    Pub Rock
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

The Oils are my favorite Australian band. Their real strength was always in the lyrics, but they occasionally came out with a melody that was worth the song on its own.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The Oils are my favorite Australian band. Their real strength was always in the lyrics, but they occasionally came out with a melody that was worth the song on its own.
    Are they anything like Wire Train?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Now foresight is 2020.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Wire Train were a mid-'80s American jangle-pop band in the Paisley Underground vein, so I don't imagine much similarities. However, the Aussie music scene did have several bands in that vein (The Triffids, The Go-Betweens, etc.)

Big Midnight Oil fan here. I saw them live in a local theater on the "Blue Sky Mining" tour and I would rank it right up there near the top of the hundreds of concerts I have seen. They were a really amazing live band.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Not really, no. Midnight Oil is a (sometimes very) sophisticated post-punk band, probably best known these days for "Beds are Burning" and "Dead Heart" but generally more raucous than those two numbers. If I had to pick two favorite tracks they would probably (today) be "Read About It" and "Dreamworld".

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Not really, no. Midnight Oil is a (sometimes very) sophisticated post-punk band, probably best known these days for "Beds are Burning" and "Dead Heart" but generally more raucous than those two numbers. If I had to pick two favorite tracks they would probably (today) be "Read About It" and "Dreamworld".
    "Blue Sky Mining" was also a pretty big hit for them in the U.S. too:

^^ Yes, and so was "The Forgotten Years" (at least around here) -- but those are the two songs most likely to pop up on radio these days.

Don't know if they charted in the USA, but "Truganini" "Earth And Sun And Moon" "My Country" "Outbreak Of Love" (All from Earth And Sun And Moon) and "Redneck Wonderland" all received extensive airplay on Alternative Rock radio 89x Detroit in the (mostly) early 90s. I'd bet that was also representative of nationwide airplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Pub Rock
    Which, I think, means something different in Australia than it does in England and the rest of the world. The English expected something familiar and beloved - lots of blues, R&B, and country influences, dead-simple songwriting, and singalongs. The Australian audiences were more willing to give a chance to something they hadn't heard before if it was really good - good songs, played like they meant it, a kick-ass stage show, and the energy to fill a huge room. All of which the Oils delivered.

^ I don't think that Midnight Oil are or were considered "Pub Rock" in Oz. Chain is taking a shot at them with a minority opinion comment.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Oils were/are a very political band, and how one views those political positions will often color their view of the band. (Not suggesting that is what Chain was doing.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Oil

"After changing its name to Midnight Oil, the group began to develop an aggressive, punk-hard rock sound for their pub rock audiences."

"a kind of antipodean pub rock version of Queen"

"Species Deceases, featuring the track "Hercules", featured a return to their pub rock sound with hard hitting firepower.["
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

^ Those refer to very early releases and audiences, no? They certainly became something much larger than that.