Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rundgren/Keneally Collaboration!

Rundgren/Keneally Collaboration!

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...NA_Xh7qEIin9HY

Mike had mentioned this in passing but now that the cat's out of the bag we might as well make it official.

Maybe Mike will swing by and fill us in on what it is.... ?

I'm sure it's a big thrill for him to work with TR. I know he's loved his work for decades.

This could be something really special.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That’s pretty exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...NA_Xh7qEIin9HY

I'm sure it's a big thrill for him to work with TR. I know he's loved his work for decades.
    The article lists the backing band, but doesn't mention Mike K at all. Maybe it isn't the whole band? Or maybe Mike's working with Todd on some other project?

Mike is listed in the last paragraph when they mention what TR is doing after this White Album tour. MK has nothing to do with the White Album tour. That backing band has nothing to do with MK.

I always love Todd's projects so I am interested.

Congrats, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Mike is listed in the last paragraph when they mention what TR is doing after this White Album tour. MK has nothing to do with the White Album tour. That backing band has nothing to do with MK.
    Okay, I see it now. It was really buried at the end of that other story.

Oh, this gives me hope. I'm a big Todd fan but I haven't been so crazy about his most recent albums. Hopefully this takes him in a direction away from the dance/modern pop genre (or whatever his current style is supposed to be).

agreed

If it turns out to be as successful a musical collaboration as the one between MK and Andy Partridge, I'll be one happy camper. Wing Beat Fantastic has become a near-desert island recording for me.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Wow, a release this fall?? Very cool!!! I thought maybe this was something in the planning stage.

FWIW i saw Todd on the White Knight tour and he entertained the shit out of us. I know there were a lot of people disappointed they didn't get to hear Love Is The Answer or Can We Still Be Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    If it turns out to be as successful a musical collaboration as the one between MK and Andy Partridge, I'll be one happy camper. Wing Beat Fantastic has become a near-desert island recording for me.
    Yes for me too, that’s a wonderful album. This will be interesting as it is the other side of the “Skylarking Production Wars”!

I love Todd’s work, he is still a stellar artist, performing brilliantly and releasing very good albums. Mike is consistently excellent too, so this should be an interesting project to say the least.

Absolutely!
    The Prog Corner

TR is a busy, busy little bunny.

And very talented.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'll be very interested to see how this turns out. I can't help but have some high expectations with these two involved.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    TR is a busy, busy little bunny.

And very talented.
    Why yes he is!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liars_...undgren_album)

^ My favorite album of his. A late-career masterpiece, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ My favorite album of his. A late-career masterpiece, IMO.
    Absolutely.

Todd is like a brilliant chef that tries pretty much everything. Any one individual might not appreciate everything he has made but my goodness the man is creative.
    I think "Liars" is amazing.

And so topical lately...the concept of "the truth" has taken a lot of knocks in the last 3 or 4 years.

One of my favourite albums, for sure
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I don’t know how much information about this project is meant to be public right now but I can say that this article got a couple of things wrong about it - it’s not being conceived as an album project, at least initially, and its not happening this year (the composition phase is still underway). I’m happy to see that people are excited about this collaboration though!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    I don’t know how much information about this project is meant to be public right now but I can say that this article got a couple of things wrong about it - it’s not being conceived as an album project, at least initially, and its not happening this year (the composition phase is still underway). I’m happy to see that people are excited about this collaboration though!
    Thanks for the clarification, Mike. Looking forward to it, no matter the timeline.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    A little bummed out that it's not coming out this year, but still awesome news regardless of when it comes out. Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I love that album cover (and the album too). Todd's eyes look like he's thinking, "Hurry up and take the picture so I can get this crap off my face!"
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I like Liars a bunch too, easily his best since Healing in my opinion

State was pretty solid too. I walked away pretty impressed from that one. Haven't heard the two latest ones though.

I do think Todd is brilliant and I love him the more further out he goes, but...man, he could really use a skilled producer/engineer on pretty much all his 21st Century stuff. He's obviously got talent there in his own right but I don't feel like he quite knows how to make the sort of EDM/trance style music he's going for today (and the drum machine on Arena is basically indefensible) - it all sounds very Pro Tools to me. But his songwriting, playing and singing are all still top notch.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com