Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 55

Thread: Book - 'In The Court of King Crimson' (Revised Edition) coming in November

  1. #26
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,760
    I never got a copy so a new updated version is perfect for the music library.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  2. #27
    DGM is now taking pre-orders for ITCOKC for the USA (no release date as yet).

    https://shop.schizoidshop.com/in-the...ook-p1819.aspx

  3. #28
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    485
    It doesn't state if it is Hardback or Paperback. at that price.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  4. #29
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,435
    Hardback only as far as I know.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  5. #30
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,808
    I paid this this a while ago. I actually have a signed copy of the original hardback, that has dropped down in value with the new book, glad the new one is a hardcopy though. I picked up the new one too because I'm always Crimson starved and the revised updates are enough to pull me in! Sorry to hear they don't have a release date for the new book.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  6. #31
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    947
    Burning Shed says 11/15. Have mine preordered.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

  7. #32

  8. #33
    Iím halfway through my digital advance. Beyond additional material covering years after the first book, the entire thing has been revised, and for good reason. Sidís first go was great and he proved himself a fine writer. But itís nearly 20 years later, so (as youíd hope) heís an even better writer. And it shows.

    So this isnít just an expansion, itís a revision and, so far, a damn fine one at that.

    A proper review will follow in the week leading up to release date, for anyone interested.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  9. #34
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I’m halfway through my digital advance. Beyond additional material covering years after the first book, the entire thing has been revised, and for good reason. Sid’s first go was great and he proved himself a fine writer. But it’s nearly 20 years later, so (as you’d hope) he’s an even better writer. And it shows.

    So this isn’t just an expansion, it’s a revision and, so far, a damn fine one at that.

    A proper review will follow in the week leading up to release date, for anyone interested.
    Very cool to hear! I was hoping for a revision as well as the addition of material on the more recent history.
    Thank you!

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I’m halfway through my digital advance. Beyond additional material covering years after the first book, the entire thing has been revised, and for good reason. Sid’s first go was great and he proved himself a fine writer. But it’s nearly 20 years later, so (as you’d hope) he’s an even better writer. And it shows.

    So this isn’t just an expansion, it’s a revision and, so far, a damn fine one at that.

    A proper review will follow in the week leading up to release date, for anyone interested.
    That's great to hear. I've put in for my copy and I can't wait to read the new version of ITCOKC.

  11. #36
    Will this book be available on Kindle? I donít even remember how to read a physical book.

    I read the sample chapter on the website. Really made me feel bad for David Cross. John Wetton really wanted him gone, it seems.

  12. #37
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    3,509
    Didn't have the previous book, so the "remastered 25th anniv version" is a no-brainer

    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Burning Shed says 11/15. Have mine preordered.
    I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer, so I can order through Waterstones' Brussels outlet.


    Do we have an ISBN number on this thingie?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  13. #38
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,171
    ^ Your library doesn't have it?

  14. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Iím halfway through my digital advance. Beyond additional material covering years after the first book, the entire thing has been revised, and for good reason. Sidís first go was great and he proved himself a fine writer. But itís nearly 20 years later, so (as youíd hope) heís an even better writer. And it shows.

    So this isnít just an expansion, itís a revision and, so far, a damn fine one at that.

    A proper review will follow in the week leading up to release date, for anyone interested.
    John,
    I know your advance copy is digital but do you know if the pictures included are colour or still black and white like in the original edition?
    Thanks,
    Sylvain

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    John,
    I know your advance copy is digital but do you know if the pictures included are colour or still black and white like in the original edition?
    Thanks,
    Sylvain
    Sorry, no idea. Iíve not hit any images so far, so my as an e (watermarked) may just be text only. If I run across any Iíll let you know.

    Also, Iíve just received permission to run an excerpt ftom the book, concurrent with my review. Great news, as I always like to do that, if possible.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  16. #41
    Any word from Fripp on this newer edition? I remember he took some issue with some of contents when it was originally published. I concede this is from memory so I could be wrong about this.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  17. #42
    Member SunshipVoyager1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Philadelphia 'burbs
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Any word from Fripp on this newer edition? I remember he took some issue with some of contents when it was originally published. I concede this is from memory so I could be wrong about this.
    Fripp didn't actually take any issue with the factual quality of the book. He did call it the "toxic tome" as a result of all the negativity (directed mostly at him) from former members of Crimson.

    Sid Smith has been attached to DGM "officially" for a while now, so Fripp must have thought the book itself was pretty well done.

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Sid Smith has been attached to DGM "officially" for a while now, so Fripp must have thought the book itself was pretty well done.
    The new edition has actually been mentioned several times as an integral part of the 50th anniversary celebration.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php
    Excerpts from interviews : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...z9EvJjeuxQJ4x5

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Fripp didn't actually take any issue with the factual quality of the book. He did call it the "toxic tome" as a result of all the negativity (directed mostly at him) from former members of Crimson.

    Sid Smith has been attached to DGM "officially" for a while now, so Fripp must have thought the book itself was pretty well done.
    Well that's good then. I'm sure the negativity would be bothersome for anyone if it was directed at them. I look forward to reading this version of the book.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  20. #45
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    485
    DAMMIT! This Month is HELL! Waiting on three Books (JT, KC & HWind)
    Waiting on Box Sets - JT, PF & GG & Hacketts latest...

    Closest thing to being 8 years old again and waiting for Christmas! (still a few years away from discovering where the parental units stashed the presents)
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  21. #46
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    947
    Received my shipping confirmation from burning shed.

    On its way to NYC.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

  22. #47
    Just FYI, my review and a book excerpt will run tomorrow at all about jazz. As usual, Iíll post links tomorrow...
    Itís a tremendous rewrite ....
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    The new edition has actually been mentioned several times as an integral part of the 50th anniversary celebration.
    And itís being published by Panegyric. Sidís first book led to his being the bandís documentarian and in-house scribe. He has also co-curated all but one of the Elements Tour boxes released every year since 20@4.

    So itís no hyperbole to say heís a Crimson insider, with more access to, well, just about everything related to Crimson. So the new book reflects that.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Fripp didn't actually take any issue with the factual quality of the book. He did call it the "toxic tome" as a result of all the negativity (directed mostly at him) from former members of Crimson.

    Sid Smith has been attached to DGM "officially" for a while now, so Fripp must have thought the book itself was pretty well done.
    It would have been irresponsible of Sid to do anything but what he did, wrt Fripp. But the truth is, it paints a fuller picture of an enigmatic, eclectic and eccentric guy who has also been far more egalitarian a leader, especially with the current group, than most. And who refuses to accept anything less than the best from himself, and those around him.

    I think he may have called it a “toxic tome” in jest...just my opinion.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  25. #50
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,435
    I think Fripp is pretty self aware.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •